mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Marzocchi XC 500 ETA 2008 questions

Hi!

I recently installed a XC 500 ETA 2008 fork in my girlfriend's bike (the old fork was a REBA), and I have some quetions:

- It has only 2 rides and I feel it sticky. I have adjusted the air to 0 PSI and ride only with coil. How many time it needs for break-in?

- My girlfriend weights 60kg, and I donīt know if the fork setup will be very hard for her weight (she wants a soft and smooth fork). Can we change standard coil to a softer one if needed? Can the fork be ridden without coil (only air)?

- What oil's density the fork use? I donīt know if it uses SAE 7.5 or a lighter one (poor fork setup guide). I feel the fork a bit slow, with rebound full open. Rebound will be faster after break in or may I change oil to a lighter one?

Thanks for your answers, and apologize for my bad english...

ay Diablo!
    I recently installed a XC 500 ETA 2008 fork in my girlfriend's bike (the old fork was a REBA), and I have some quetions:

- It has only 2 rides and I feel it sticky. I have adjusted the air to 0 PSI and ride only with coil. How many time it needs for break-in?

Break-in 10-20 hrs. Followed by replacing the stock out, to remove break-in contaminates (metal shavings)

- My girlfriend weights 60kg, and I donīt know if the fork setup will be very hard for her weight (she wants a soft and smooth fork). Can we change standard coil to a softer one if needed? Can the fork be ridden without coil (only air)?

Marzocchi does not make a softer spring as far as I know for your fork. You can do one of two things.
    1st and best option is to lower the oil level in the fork. Remove a couple of mm of oil until you are getting desired travel. Also switching from the stock 7.5 wt oil to a lighter 5 wt oil helps too for lighter riders.
    2nd option is to remove the coil like you said and run just air. But is is best for a plush ride to run the coil, if possible.

- What oil's density the fork use? I donīt know if it uses SAE 7.5 or a lighter one (poor fork setup guide). I feel the fork a bit slow, with rebound full open. Rebound will be faster after break in or may I change oil to a lighter one?

Like mentioned above stock oil weight is 7.5. Using a lighter weight oil will affect the damping in two ways. It will speed up the rebound, which sounds like you would like, and it will have less compression. Also sounds like would be a good thing for your lighter rider.

Try using a lighter 2.5 or 5 wt (or a mix of both) oil, and lower the oil height so it uses more travel.

Your english is fine.

Bunk
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by farmboybunk

Break-in 10-20 hrs. Followed by replacing the stock out, to remove break-in contaminates (metal shavings)

Marzocchi does not make a softer spring as far as I know for your fork. You can do one of two things.
    1st and best option is to lower the oil level in the fork. Remove a couple of mm of oil until you are getting desired travel. Also switching from the stock 7.5 wt oil to a lighter 5 wt oil helps too for lighter riders.
    2nd option is to remove the coil like you said and run just air. But is is best for a plush ride to run the coil, if possible.

Like mentioned above stock oil weight is 7.5. Using a lighter weight oil will affect the damping in two ways. It will speed up the rebound, which sounds like you would like, and it will have less compression. Also sounds like would be a good thing for your lighter rider.

Try using a lighter 2.5 or 5 wt (or a mix of both) oil, and lower the oil height so it uses more travel.

Your english is fine.

Bunk
    Thanks!!