mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Marzocchi Ti RC3 44 stanchon tube finish

Anyone with a Marz with the silver stanchions have this problem. It is not leaking oil and is on the inside (close to tire). Mine is a 2010 model.

Marzocchi Ti RC3 44 stanchon tube finish-img_20130523_234125_001-small-.jpg

I hope to lift the wiper off on Saturday to look for any bike gremlins.

urmb
    Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley.
    Theodore Roethke

mtbr member
    You have probably some dirt in your seals. It is best to do a proper maintenance to that fork (removing lower legs, inspecting everything and new oil, new grease and new seals if necessary) before you get worse damage. Just lifting up your seal is not enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You've either got dirt/debris stuck in the wipers, or the lower wiper seal was folded over when the lowers were installed. Either way, you've worn through the nickel finish of the stanchions which isn't good. I believe that is the air side by the looks of it? The 'zoch uses an open air chamber, which means the wiper seals need to be air tight.

I would definitely do a full tear down and determine what's causing this. You'll also need to look at the upper bushing in the lowers and see if it is scored as well. If it is also worn, then you might as well just clean it and keep riding it. If the bushing looks good, you'll have to decide if you want to replace the uppers now or continue riding it and destroy the bushing. I don't know if the bushings are replaceable on these or not.

I'd also recommend giving Marzocchi USA a call and chat with their service department. They're very helpful and can probably steer you in the right direction on your options and cost vs risk.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Have you ever performed any maintenance on this fork? I'd suggest tearing it apart, cleaning, new oil and riding it until it leaks. The wear is very minimal thus it does not affect the strength of the fork. You will need a new crown/steer tube assembly, new seals and bushing if you want to repair it 100% like new. If it were my fork I would ride it until it was forked and then get a new fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Y The 'zoch uses an open air chamber, which means the wiper seals need to be air tight.
    Doesn't sound right? Are you just referring to the oil bath circulation in the lowers? The air chamber on my 55's are just like any other fork I've had. Air chamber is in the uppers,contained by the piston, with no air or oil path in to the lowers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for all of the comments riders. Nothing obvious under the wiper but grease. The finish damage is on the non air side, but I don't see a problem with the air as gvs_nz stated. Probably happened at a race at a local ski resort I did two weeks ago that turned into a serious mudslinger. Ohhhhh the price of victory...

Marzocchi Ti RC3 44 stanchon tube finish-img_20130508_194636_636-medium-.jpg

I will be calling Marzocchi and then deciding if I do a full tear down or as myarmisonfire suggested ride it until it is forked. The finish loss can be felt by touch.

urmb
    Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley.
    Theodore Roethke

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Those are done. Once the finish is compromised, the Al will wear much, much, quicker. Same thing happens with other brands after a lot of use.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Even if there are contaminants in your seals you might not be able to see it by lifting wipers. Because wiper seals usually have multiple lips instead of a single lip. That is why you really need to remove lower legs and inspect seals properly (and bushings). Although now when stanchion is damaged you might wear down seals fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tune View Post
    Even if there are contaminants in your seals you might not be able to see it by lifting wipers. Because wiper seals usually have multiple lips instead of a single lip. That is why you really need to remove lower legs and inspect seals properly (and bushings). Although now when stanchion is damaged you might wear down seals fast.
    Agreed. Found a nice video for Ti RC3 maintenance. Marzocchi 66 RC3 Ti - Oil Change / Service [HD] - YouTube

My spring side fork leg is different than the one in the video. It is a solid top cap. Anyone know if this was 44 specific or year?
    Also what is the purpose of the plastic wrap on the inside of the Ti spring?

tHANKS
    urmb
    Theodore Roethke