mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Marzocchi Gran Fondo 1 - Overhaul

I hope I can get some input from some of the more knowledgeable guys in the forum.
    I'm going to do an oil change and seal change on a Marzocchi Gran Fondo 1 and I have a few questions that the technical manual does not explain in detail.

http://www.wheresweyland.com/images/...ran-Fondo1.pdf

1. Oil leveles. The manual specifies 125cc of 7.5wt oil for the right fork leg. But does not have any information for the left leg. I doubt that the left leg does not use any oil. I would think that in order to keep the bushings and the seals lubricated it needs to have some oil. What do you guys think?
    All other forks (Fox Talas 32, Manitou Skareb) I've worked on use oil on both fork legs, the skareb used two oil types, 5wt shock oil for the damper and 5w 50 motor oil for sanction lubrication.

2. For removing the buttom nuts the manual mentions a special 12mm spanner. What is special about it? What should I look for to see if my tools will work?

3. I already purchased Enduro Fork seals (30mm). Any warnings or thinks that I should be concerned about these seals?

I appreciate your comments. It will save some time and a lot of frustrations.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    The manual specifies 125cc of 7.5wt oil for the right fork leg. But does not have any information for the left leg.
    That's because the left leg doesn't need oil.

I would think that in order to keep the bushings and the seals lubricated it needs to have some oil.
    The manual says that grease should be used, it's a lubricant too.

All other forks (Fox Talas 32, Manitou Skareb) I've worked on use oil on both fork legs, the skareb used two oil types, 5wt shock oil for the damper and 5w 50 motor oil for sanction lubrication.
    Your fork is different to the Fox and Manitou, some forks don't have oil in either leg, they use grease for the seals and bushes.

For removing the buttom nuts the manual mentions a special 12mm spanner. What is special about it?
    Nothing, any 12mm spanner should work.

I already purchased Enduro Fork seals (30mm). Any warnings or thinks that I should be concerned about these seals?
    They should be OK.

If the stanchions don't slide smoothly through the seals you could wipe a little fork oil over them but don't leave excess oil on them it'll attract dirt, an alternative would be to put on some Finish Line Stanchion Lube on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    cobba,
    Thanks for the response. Grease makes sense for lube for the bushes and seals... I do remember seeing an older Marz fork that had grease to lube the bushes. I'll do it that way. For most things I use Phil Wood's waterproof grease and works great. Would you recommend something different?

I'll let you know how things go next week when I plan to do the work... I hope I have time to do it.