mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Marzocchi Gran Fondo 1

DDDDylan 07-16-2007 01:36 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marzocchi Service

I'm working on an Element with a Gran Fondo 1 fork, and I'm wondering if anybody has a service/disassembly manual for one of these? The owner's manual available online doesn't go into any depth like that. My problem is the fork has no rebound damping, and attempts to adjust the rebound with the external knob produce no results. The knob will rotate only about 1/4 turn total, and nothing changes. I took the spring top cap off and looked in while turning the knob, and the coil spring can be seen to rotate with the knob (again, about only 1/4 turn).

DeeEight 07-16-2007 06:33 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since 2004 basically everything you need to do with a marzocchi other than changing air pressure, adjusting a dial, or preloading a coil spring has required you to send the fork to a service center. The manuals got a lot dumber and unless you've worked on marzocchi's before, you're pretty much up the creek when it comes to overhauling them. Its a miracle marzocchi even still lists the oil amounts for the forks (since it gives you the option to do an oil-change yourself) anymore as according to the manual it requires sending the fork to a service center. You can't change the bushings yourself anymore, that's for sure.

DDDDylan 07-16-2007 11:25 PM

That's what I was afraid of...I wonder if there is a manual available for a similar design?

I think I'll move to the shocks topic area...

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    check here for manuals by model year

http://www.birota.ru/manuals/marzocchi/index.php

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks, I saw that this morning. Awesome info!!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DDDDylan
    Thanks, I saw that this morning. Awesome info!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Fixed...for the cost of some fresh oil and a few hours of my time! It turns out the main coil spring in the right leg was binding on the valve plug of the rebound damper assembly. I ground the top ~0.125" off of the valve plug so that it could travel freely and the fork now works like a champ.

Thanks to smike!!!!