Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Marzocchi EXR Comp

Hello,
    I am looking for a new fork on my 99' Giant ATX 860. Currently, I have Judy C with 63mm of travel (what a joke). I have found a Marzocchi EXR Comp from 2004 for $80. Is the fork good and is it worth it? I will be doing trail riding and the usual road everyday riding.

Thanks,
    NissanskylineN1

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    Make sure you don't get a fork with more than like 80mm of travel. That bike was designed for a short stroke fork and going longer than 80 will start to cause slow steering. Prolly almost anything you get will be better than your judy c. Since it is an older bike I wouldn't spend alot on a fork so this would work well for the price. Is it new?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    No, it is not new, however the guy has used it only for a month as a spare, and its been serviced last year. The travel on the EXR is 100mm. I am looking for a new fork because my Judy bottoms out, and I cannot find any firm springs. I'm not sure how much the new fork will affect the steering. Is there a way to counteract that effect? Also, the guys says its a coil with air assist, however, I have read that some of them contain the crappy elastomers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Wait, does the hub axle HAVE to be 20mm? Wouldn't the bolts and washers hold it tight enough? The manual says it needs a QR20 or a 20mm axle.

PS. Sorry for the double post.

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    The reason the steering is affected is because the longer length of the fork decreased the headtube angle, kind off like a chopper though no where as extreme of an angle. I put a 100mm fork on an old hardtail and it kinda felt like a downhill bike. The steering was kinda sloppy but I rode it and had fun on it anyway. Up to you really.

A 20mm fork won't work on your hub. You need a fork with 9mm quick release dropouts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    How about this:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/836411/

A Rockshox Duke XC, my brother has the identical one on his Trek 8000.
    Can I remove a headset spacer?

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanskylineN1
    How about this:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/836411/

A Rockshox Duke XC, my brother has the identical one on his Trek 8000.
    Can I remove a headset spacer?
    That would work fine. Removing a spacer will only lower the handlebars, not change the headtube angle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    There's no way of fixing the problem without lowering travel?

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    As long as you don't go over 80mm you shouldn't have a problem. I'm not sure if that duke is 80 or 100mm. Installing a fork with 100mm of travel on a bike designed for 63 will have an effect whether you remove spacers or not. There's no getting around the extra 1.5 inches or so. Like I said, it will cause slower steering and a slacker headtube angle. If you are ok with this then go for a 100mm fork. But I think with 80mm you will enjoy the increased travel over the 63 and won't really have an issue with steering.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Play around with the sag?

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    That isn't the purpose of sag. Too much sag and you will blow thru the travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    O.O *bites nails*

Well, I used the image and the meter tape beside it to measure the top tubes and it is approximately just over 10 CM. So, I THINK its a 80mm. You can try measuring using that meter tape too.

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    Most likely that means it is 80mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    There's a bigger problem. The guy is being stubborn and telling me to go all the way to some outskirt called Whitby when I'm on the other side of Toronto....and for that, he's charging 20 bucks, not including the Go Train ticket.... gonna go find another one.

How about this:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/806620/
    Judy C from mid-2000s

OR
    This:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/718271/
    Rockshox Tora... except the guy painted it terribly.
    Last edited by NissanskylineN1; 04-30-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    I wouldn't buy another judy or that specific tora.

Is the fork you have on now a threaded headset or is threadless?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    How can I find out?

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    If it is threadless than there will be a top cap on top of the stem with a allen bolt in the middle. the stem itself will have two allen screws which hold the stem on the steerer tube.

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ha-i.html Heres a link that gives a pic of each kind.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Oh, yea its threadless... its shameful how I just bought a stem and a CF top cap and I forgot that its threadless.

Anyways, this guy says that all I've gotta do is assemble this and its good:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/819292/
    Solo Reba Air U-turn

mtbr member
    I have the '97 version of the bike. It also came with a 63mm(?) Manitou that went into the bin long ago. I run a 130mm Marzocchi on it and think it's great. I mostly use it for commuting now, but it's also still good fun on the trails.
    Tim

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    Just make SURE he sends you all the parts. Find a diagram of that exact fork and then match all the parts to what he is sending you just to make sure. Usually the pdf manual will show a diagram of the fork or at least show all the parts to the fork in the steps to rebuild it. Rockshox.com will prolly have the rebuild manual for that fork. That fork doesn't look like a reba to me. Now that I look at the enlarged pic I've never seen a reba with 140mm of travel. The parts look very rusty too. Maybe it is just the pic but I would kinda shy away from this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yea.. looks like Whitby doesnt seem like a bad option right now... $20 two way train ticket.

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    How long is the steerer tube on your current fork now. Measure from the top of the fork crown to the top cap.This will give you a pretty close idea of how long the fork is. I will keep my eye out for you. I have a 2004 Manitou Black Super SPV 80mm if you are interested. The steerer tube is kinda short at 6-3/4 inches though. I live in the states so shipping may be expensive. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the help! My tube is 7.5" long..... removal of spacers?
    Last edited by NissanskylineN1; 05-01-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    How many spacer do you have and how many inches do they amount to?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast