mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Marzocchi Bomber Z5 - Current Equivalent?

I had a 2001 Giant Rainier SE that I really liked and rode all over some of the best trails in the US. It was my first disc and front suspension bike, and did everything I wanted it to do. Then it got stolen last year. I had since got into road biking where I spent alot of cash and am happy, but now I need to get back into MTB with all the great trails available.

I see that to stretch my money in buying a new hardtail (no more than $900-$1000), I will probably sacrifice some fork. Currently looking at the Giant Talon 29er 0, which gets alot of bad reviews for the fork. I admit I haven't ridden it yet, but you never really ride a bike until you take it out on your trail anyway.

Since I really have no other experience with a fork other than the stock Marzocchi Bomber Z5 (which was fantastic for me), the questions I have are:

1- Is the stock 2012 Rock Shox XC30 as good as the 2001 Marzocchi Bomber Z5?
    2 - What fork is currently similar to the Marzocchi Bomber Z5? Cost?
    3- Is there a bike comparable to the 2001 Rainier SE today? I would like to try a 29er, and the Talon 29er 0 fits my needs and has decent components. Not against buying used. No joy on CL yet.

Excited to be back with the MTB crowd soon!

mtbr member
    The z5 was the bottom of the line 'zoke fork. It just elastomers or elastomers + springs, no oil damping, IIRC.
    So, the XC30 is basically the current equivalent and should be better...
    I have no clue what "turnkey lockout" damping is, but would appear to have actual oil damping, which is good.

There's lots of threads on 'starter' 29er's in that forum. Great bang for the buck seems to be the airborne guardian & goblin (though the XC28 is probably not a very good fork). I'd head to the local bike shops & try all the 29ers in your price range & go from there.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    thanks for the info. excellent reply!