Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Marzocchi bomber ,what model and year ?

Hi everyone, i have chance to buy this fork Marzocchi bomber like in the picture but i dont have idea which model exactly is and from what year, somebody can told me ? and one more thing, its for stem AHEAD or 1" ? thanks ! cheers

mtbr member
    Looks to be a 2001 - 2002 fork, given the style of arch on it, not sure of the model though, but it is an old fork, so may not be in the best condition.
    The steerer tube should be 1 -1/8th.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

High Gravity Haze
    If the stickers are still intact on the lowers, the year should be somewhere in the sticker graphics and the model should be on the back of one of the lowers. I think that's a 2001 X-Fly though. I've had one since 2001 thats still going strong. Just make sure to keep the stanchions clean & scratch free along with normal maintenance (new seals & oil) to get a long life out of them. I wish Marzocchi made their forks as good now as they did back then.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    ok thanks u guys !

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Since that fork is so old I would not think of buying it for serious biking or paying more than $50 for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    yeah i want buy it for $35, its looking good.

Team Velveeta™

Could be a 1"

Quote Originally Posted by adcolgrz View Post
    ... and one more thing, its for stem AHEAD or 1" ? thanks ! cheers
    I assume by AHEAD you mean Aheadset, which is what I think Dia Compe called their early threadless headsets. Yes, sure looks like it's a threadless steerer.

It would be either 1" or 1 1/8". Your bike needs specifically one or the other. Unless your frame is from the 90's or earlier, there's virtually no chance it would take a 1" steerer.

But I'm pretty sure Marzocchi kept making 1" forks a little bit into the 2000's. I know I bought a Z2 BAM in '99 that was a current model for a frame I had that was a 1" steerer (a Bontrager Race). So it's possible that it's a 1" steerer. Probably more likely 1 1/8" though.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i have now on my bike fork XCR LO 100mm 2010 then i have frame for 1 1/8 , then this marzocchi bomber will be good for my frame ?

Team Velveeta™

If you don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by adcolgrz View Post
    i have now on my bike fork XCR LO 100mm 2010 then i have frame for 1 1/8 , then this marzocchi bomber will be good for my frame ?
    Impossible for us to know. You need to ask the seller what size steerer it is! If it's 1 1/8 it will work. If it's not, it won't.

If you don't know what you're doing, keep your money in your pocket is my advice.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

High Gravity Haze
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    If you don't know what you're doing, keep your money in your pocket is my advice.
    X2!!!

The other steer tube variable with this fork is the tube length. If its too short for the frame head tube you're going to use it on, you'll be throwing your money away since there's no way to make it work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    ok thanks guys, but i have more information about this fork, the owner of the fork have sent me today more photos and i think its model x-fly of the holes on the crown, and also its size tube 1 1/8, he told me that condition of the fork its perfect that he found him on his loft... for 35$ its good price ? cheers

mtbr member
    We also need to know what frame you plan on putting this on. If you buy a 100mm fork for a frame that was designed for a say 120mm, your geo gets all thrown off and makes the bike feel terrible.

You also need to make sure that the steerer has been cut to a decent size. The above pics look like it was cut pretty short. Depending on your frame, you may not get enough clearance. People have run forks that have steerers cut too short and the stem cant be fully bolted onto the fork... its all sketchy with short steerers. That fork is a 1 1/8th and the crown race is on upsidedown.

Have him measure the steerer with a tape measure and take a photo, also measure your steerer and make sure it will be long enough. Remember you can always remove steerer, but you cant add it. Kinda like cooking and adding salt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    frame will be rockrider 5.3 its for forks of 100mm , the original fork was too 100mm suntour XCR. the size of steerers its good , he has 19cm of steerers and i need 18cm then its perfect. ok thanks guys, cheers

mtbr member
    Nice upgrade for sure. Those XCR's the ones with the yellow thing in the dial? Marz forks will make your bike feel much better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    yeah with yellow dial on the adjust on the crown.. i sold him for 40$ hehe. ok thx guys, cheers !

High Gravity Haze
    Looking at the top of the stanchion crown, I notice there are no air valves or adjustment knobs. That disqualifies this fork as an X-Fly. It may be a Z5 instead.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

High Gravity Haze
    No need to go to multiple web links, I just go to my garage to show what a 2001 Marzocchi X Fly looks like:

Notice the air valves and adjustment knob I mentioned?

mtbr member
    If it is a 2000 model, then the schrader valve is at the base of the fork, as per the link to the actual marzocchi service manual for the fork, not on the top as per your 2001 model.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

High Gravity Haze
    No doubt, you are correct. I missed the fact that two of the links actually stated 2000 instead of 2001. I blame the chocolate stout that I'm drinking currently. Either way, both forks are awesome and if the length of the steer tube is going to work for the OP then I predict this to be a good purchase if the fork is in good shape.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That era of Marz was really good. I have three 2002 forks and one 1998; all still going strong and they are easy to service.

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm not too sure this isn't a downgrade. It's a very old fork and might (probably is) not functioning as well as it did when it was new. And even if it's in a great shape, the technology and knowledge of building and designing suspension have gotten so far in the last 10 years that I seriously doubt this dinosaur is going to function any better than a Suntour XCR which in it's own right isn't such a bad fork. I don't think swapping those two forks was a great move at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    some of the X-Flys had the schrader valves on the back of the v brake posts FYI

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    yeap http://my-sport.spb.ru/manual_1/2000%20z1%20x-fly.pdf here on the 6 page looks like had back of the v brake schrader valves.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    okey ive got it, its model z1 2000 x-fly. its pretty good fork and very light.. and schrader had on the back of the v-brake. thanks guys, cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast