mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Marzocchi Bomber 44 tst2

i currently have Bomber 44 tst2 fork set up on Giant Nrs3. This is my first real MTB bike, i have had the bike for about 4 months. every time i ride over roots or rocks i feel as if my fork does not absorb the force, but instead it sorta jerk me off (this is full unlock, at 68psi)is it supposed to do this? i also tired playing with rebound and pressure.if i get it service or do oil change will it be more plush? Please inform me what is wrong with my fork.

mtbr member
    That is exactly what TST2 damper does. I had 55 TST2 (and 55 RC3) fork and TST2 is horrible. One of the worst oil based dampers out there. It should be possible to improve it a lot (assuming that internals have not changed): Marzocchi 55 TST2 conversion to shim damping: step by step

With that modification you still don't get a high end fork (mostly because the rebound damper will still be orifice based) but it is still a whole lot better than what it is from factory. Another more expensive option is to buy a fork with better damper (avoid non shim based dampers even if it is only rebound that is not shim based). I can't recommend RC3-damper either althouh it is a lot better than TST2 but the performance is still compromised because of the orifice rebound damper.

You can make that fork slightly plusher with lighter oil but that decreases low speed damping (and causes exessive wallow, even more than now) and your rebound adjustment range might not be enough. So I can only recommend either doing that mod or buing a fork with better damping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    what are the options under $400.

mtbr member
    For that price you could find Manitou Minute with ABS+ -damping that is a whole lot better than TST2. ABS+ uses shimmed compression and rebound damping. Also damping can be modified (reshimmed) to suit your needs (although it is a whole lot better even in factory condition compared to that TST2). If you ever want to reshim that fork then check this thread: How to guide: Reshim your ABS+ HSC shim stack

If you are using that bike for XC and/or light All Mountain then Manitou Minute is a excellent choice in my opinion. Just make sure that you buy suitable version with correct travel, steerer tube, brake mounts and axle size.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    how do i measure or choose which fork is right for my bike? i'm planning to do light AM are there any good rockshox in my budget?

mtbr member
    Make sure that the fork travel is within frame manufacturers recommendations, measure steerer tube diameter (and if buying used fork also length), measure axle diameter and compare all these thing to the new fork that you are looking for. You also need a new starnut inside the steerer tube and it might be also a good idea to change headset if the old one is in poor condition (otherwise old headset can be used).

There are Rockshox forks with somewhat similar damping but the price goes up a lot. So price/performance ratio is not so good and that is why I recommended that Manitou fork. If you like to look Rockshox forks with somewhat similar damping then look at Revelation. Cheaper forks don't have the same performance (and damping is not very tunable). Although even Reba or Sektor RL (with Motion Control) does have better damping than 44 TST2.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i think i will probably stick to Manitou, thank you very much

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have this fork on my '09 BMC TF02; it seems really sticky and not so plush on the downs. What about an upgrade to a Fox fork (Float or Talas), or is the Manitou Minute better all around? Specs show that the stock fork is 120mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by czycat View Post
    I have this fork on my '09 BMC TF02; it seems really sticky and not so plush on the downs. What about an upgrade to a Fox fork (Float or Talas), or is the Manitou Minute better all around? Specs show that the stock fork is 120mm.

I have the same bike with the same fork problem let me know what you did about it please and how much difference it made.
    Cheers
    Lee