mtbr member

Marzocchi 55 rc3 tunning spring

The default MZ 55 ti spring is too much soft for me (210 lb). If I put enough air pressure for me, 30 psi, that modifies the fork behavior to lineal instead of progressive and I don't like that.
    A possible solution is change the MZ 55 TI spring to a FOX 36 yellow spring but, Someone did it?
    The size of the FOX36 160 spring is 28x310 mm but I didn't find the size of the marzocchi spring (I try to avoid unmount the fork before change it)

Thanks

mtbr member
    What year is your 55? I've got a 2013 RC3 Ti on my Chili, about 210-215 lbs geared up, and the spring is about bang on perfect for me. I'm running 2 turns of preload on it I think to get Craig's (Avalanche) recommended 25% sag.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Hello & thnaks.
    My MZ RC3 is 2013 model. My setup was (I changed the oil to a 10w) all clockwise direction:
    preload 15
    compression 7
    rebound 15
    Air spring 30 psi

I got a lot of fork's bottom out doing the same tracks with the same bike. Only changed my RS Lyrik coil RC2DH(black spring) to the MZ 55 RC3.

I changed the oil to the 10w and the behavior of the fork is totally different less plush. For that reason I'm looking for a different solution, may if I change the spring to another more firm may be helps me to avoid bottom outs and maintain the same behavior

Regards

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I just got a used 2010 55 rc3 ti. I'm at the other end of the spectrum: 145lbs. There's a bit of stiction so I can't get an exact sag #, but averaging it out looks like it's going to be less than 20%. The seller told me it's the stock spring, but I can't guarantee that. I pulled it out to get the measurements in case I can find another spring to work. It's red, does say titanium, and 7.3N/mm. Measures 30x287mm. Hoping to find a lighter one. What rate is listed on other's Marz springs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Speaking of Avalanche, I just had them rework my Fox CTD shock. I bought the 55 partly because I knew I could get their cartridge for it. I might end up doing that if I can get a proper spring for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    x-fusion or fox spring, might have to remove rubber boot to fit
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Marz only makes one ti spring for the 55 I think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bhmax View Post
    I just got a used 2010 55 rc3 ti. I'm at the other end of the spectrum: 145lbs. There's a bit of stiction so I can't get an exact sag #, but averaging it out looks like it's going to be less than 20%. The seller told me it's the stock spring, but I can't guarantee that. I pulled it out to get the measurements in case I can find another spring to work. It's red, does say titanium, and 7.3N/mm. Measures 30x287mm. Hoping to find a lighter one. What rate is listed on other's Marz springs?

my riding weight is 180 & the 7.3 Marz ti spring was too much for me. Marzocchi USA headquarters in Cal. told me that spring weight is for people in the 200 lb.+ range. i believe it. so, i ordered a 6.5 i believe, but when they said $280!, i cancelled the order. got ahold of Marz Vancouver B.C. & got one for less than 1/2. ask for Naz. he knows everthing Marzocchi.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Sounds good, thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    my riding weight is 180 & the 7.3 Marz ti spring was too much for me. Marzocchi USA headquarters in Cal. told me that spring weight is for people in the 200 lb.+ range. i believe it. so, i ordered a 6.5 i believe, but when they said $280!, i cancelled the order. got ahold of Marz Vancouver B.C. & got one for less than 1/2. ask for Naz. he knows everthing Marzocchi.
    Nice, good to know they make different springs. I'd heard here in another thread a year or so ago that they didn't.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    What sag do you get with the 6.5?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    What sag do you get with the 6.5?
    i double checked my spring & it's a 6.0. i get 1 1/2" sag, no preload & no air. Marz Canada has access to other springs i think
    breezy shade

Ow!
    Yep, I think you will have to be imaginative when it comes to changing springs on the 55. I think Marz designed pretty much just one spring (with maybe the lighter option) because of the two preloads available.

I have a 2013 on a Nomad, and it seems fine to me. I weigh about 230lbs. Plush on the small/medium stuff, great bashing through the rough, but I have only taken about 3-foot drops. Does not seem too soft for me yet. With all the adjustments, I think I can adjust most problems out for individual trails.

Are you folks using the 55 like you would a 66? I put a 66 RC3 on the Nomad for DH last summer, which took much more of a beating. And I even beat on it more than I do a 55 on my local trails. 66 is an amazing fork, though very heavy.

mtbr member
    I bought the fox36 green spring. This Saturday I try to mount into the MZ. May be I have to cut 1o 2 cm

Enviado desde mi U9200 mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hi, Enrico from Italy here. Thank you for the dimension of the spring, i was struggling to get that. It seem very short to me, fox is 310 and rs 320 for 160 forks. However, since i would like to shorten to 150mm, i know i have to find a 277 coil... tnx.

Following the thread with great interest, if someone is able to use other spring inside the fork, please let us know...