mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti or Fox Float 36?

This has been on my mind night and day. I cant decide which fork i should get for the chilcotin i'm going to build.

I have a Fox Float 32 RL 140mm on my current bike, i like it, but i am tempted to try a marzocchi.
    I have have heard really good stuff about the 55 Rc3 ti.

If i were to get a fox i would get a 160mm 36 RC2 with kashima.

If you were in my position what would you get?

Thanks,
    fb

mtbr member
    Both are good forks, but my money would go to the coil for the Chili. I was this close to getting a 44 RC3 for my endorphin.

mtbr member
    Both are excellent forks.
    55 will require less frequent maintenance to maintain excellent performance.
    36 will require that you meet or beat Fox's recommended service intervals to maintain optimal performance.
    I prefer Fox's damper over the Marz damper in shorter travel forks.
    Both forks are very stiff and can take a beating.
    55 will feel plusher and have excellent small bump compliance.
    36 will feel great as well, it just doesn't have the classic Marzocchi feel that you get from the coil/oil and RC3 set up.
    The benefits of the 36 Fox air forks for most riders are the light weight and stiff chassis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    What is your current bike? Currently has a 32 on it? Those are both big forks compared to a 32.

The 55 is head and shoulders above the competition in this category in every way that matters - performance, ease of maintenance, reliability, looks(that is subjective of course).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JimEG View Post
    What is your current bike? Currently has a 32 on it? Those are both big forks compared to a 32.

The 55 is head and shoulders above the competition in this category in every way that matters - performance, ease of maintenance, reliability, looks(that is subjective of course).
    I currently have a specialized Stumpjumper FSR. I will be running a CCDB coil in the rear.
    I don't really care about weight, i care about performance.

mtbr member
    Why don't you run a bos Deville? I am super satisfied with it. Great control, stiff chassis and low maintenance. Yes it is pricy but you get what you pay and it isn't far from a fox's price. You are in Europe so support is no issue.
    If you want you can go for an Idylle air single crown for even more stiffness.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cmd1981 View Post
    Why don't you run a bos Deville? I am super satisfied with it. Great control, stiff chassis and low maintenance. Yes it is pricy but you get what you pay and it isn't far from a fox's price. You are in Europe so support is no issue.
    If you want you can go for an Idylle air single crown for even more stiffness.
    I have thought about a Bos, especially the Idylle because of the 36 sanctions... but where i live i only have one dealer that can service them and its kind of far away...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I swapped a pushed Talas 36 for a Marz 55 RC3 this past year on my Uzzi and it was a night and day difference in plushness. I really had to stay on top of the maintenance of the Fox to keep it feeling just ok. The Marz far exceeds the plushness of the Talas, even in my one year of maintenance neglect.

Bear in mind, the Talas feels worse than a Float, but I cannot imagine the difference being large enough to catchup with the Marz. If you don't mind the weight, the Marz would be the right choice.

mtbr member
    What is the weight difference between the two?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    What is the weight difference between the two?
    The Float is 4.71 lb / 2.14 kg.
    The 55 is 2.47kg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It is certainly your perogative, but that is a lot of fork for that bike. It will raise your BB quite a bit, and is much burlier than that frame - the 55 would be writing checks the rest of the bike may not be able to cash. Have you considered the Marzocchi 44 RC3 ti? It would be better matched and offer the same benefits.

mtbr member
    He's building a Knolly Chilcotin with this fork.
    Perfect forks for that bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    He's building a Knolly Chilcotin with this fork.
    Perfect forks for that bike.
    Oh. The OP's reply about his bike was this -

"I currently have a specialized Stumpjumper FSR. I will be running a CCDB coil in the rear.
    I don't really care about weight, i care about performance."

If the Knolly is the intended frame, then yes the 55 would be perfect.

Absurd
    I've been beating on a 2012 55 Micro Ti at least once, sometimes twice a week for the last 10 months. The performance has been killer, nothing but buttery smooth, bottomless speed. Its my first air fork, and I've been pleasantly surprised.

In the 10 months that I've been riding this thing, the closest thing I've done to any kind of maintenance checking the air pressure every couple of rides. It's just now getting a LITTLE clacky when I'm climbing. I'm thinking that most of its competitors would have seen the workbench a couple of times by now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JimEG View Post
    Oh. The OP's reply about his bike was this -

"I currently have a specialized Stumpjumper FSR. I will be running a CCDB coil in the rear.
    I don't really care about weight, i care about performance."

If the Knolly is the intended frame, then yes the 55 would be perfect.
    Sorry about this miss understanding...
    My current bike is a specialized stumpy.
    I will be building a chilcotin with a CCDB coil.

I forgot to mention what trails i ride, i ride trails with rock gardens, drops and jumps. I climb rarely.