Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Marzocchi 55 Micro Switch TA service infos?

Merry Christmas to you all,
    Just bought a used 55 Micro Switch TA and would like to give it a good service over the winter. I can't find much on Zoke's website so here I am asking you guys for any tips, videos, guide etc

The fork has both a micro cartridge (TST?) and the travel adjustment one.

I am used to do my own fork maintenance and have work on both open bath system(2007 RC2X) and closed cartridge(fox) so I should be fine.
    Last edited by nightnerd; 01-03-2013 at 07:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Bumping this thread as I suspect it didn't get much attention because of the holidays... I hope someone will have knowledge to share!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'd like to know as well....

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Me too please. Only service centre in Australia says Marz wont even give them service info for these and other forks. You can find info on damper and dust/wiper seal replacement but not on bleed procedure for the TA cartridge.

Pay no mind to us...
    That seems to be the main drawback to Marz compared to say Fox, Rockshox, X-Fusion, and even Manitou.

I keep seeing references by Marz on Pinkbike that they will be releasing more relevant service information on their web site soon but no specifics on when that will be exactly.

I get that a manufacturer wants to keep a Fred from bungling equipment but at the same time this isn't rocket science and following a clearly laid out procedure should be up to the user of the product I think.

Quote Originally Posted by niva1989 View Post
    Me too please. Only service centre in Australia says Marz wont even give them service info for these and other forks. You can find info on damper and dust/wiper seal replacement but not on bleed procedure for the TA cartridge.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I agree. Not all bike riders are hopeless when it comes to servicing their own bikes. Many would work on much more complicated equipment and are more than capable of following a procedure. Most special tools are super cheap or can be easily substituted without issue. A huge plus is the satisfaction you get from doing it yourself and actually learning a bit about the insides of something that you own and have invested a lot of money in. LBS still wins as you buy the parts through them and not everyone would have the time or interest in servicing themselves.
    I will probably just stick with Rockshox from now on. They have very well laid out manuals readily available for all their products and don't treat all riders like "Freds". I say put it out there for those of us that want to do it!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have a guide somehwere for the 09 marz 55 TST micro...but they have probbably totally changed since then.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hi Guys,

Still havent got an answer to the service proceedure for the TA cartridge? Someone out there must be able to help!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I tried this last night. There's a little silver screw on top of the TA cartridge. DON'T open that!! Oil went everywhere . Must have a been a bleed valve or something. I'm still desparately searching for a step-by-step guide on how to service this fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Smile

Ta service - you will need a ta shaft tool and a bleed fitting https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jGhB9fJWwak

The damper has a few videos on the web. Let me know if you need help finding it
    Last edited by bing!; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:00 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    Ta service - you will need a ta shaft tool and a bleed fitting https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jGhB9fJWwak

The damper has a few videos on the web. Level now if you need help finding it
    You won't find anything more than these videos. I made the tools myself. M6 threaded rod for the compensator piston. I made the bleed tool out of an M5 threaded bolt cut to the same length as the screw you took out. I drilled a hole half way through it then another hole across to connect to the first hole. I the. Soldered a bit of tube on the top to attach my reverb bleed syringe. Wasn't too hard to do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

The damper has a few videos on the web. Level now if you need help finding it
    Quote Originally Posted by niva1989 View Post
    You won't find anything more than these videos. I made the tools myself. M6 threaded rod for the compensator piston. I made the bleed tool out of an M5 threaded bolt cut to the same length as the screw you took out. I drilled a hole half way through it then another hole across to connect to the first hole. I the. Soldered a bit of tube on the top to attach my reverb bleed syringe. Wasn't too hard to do.
    These are great videos though!!!!! I don't know how in the world I didn't come across these late last year.

Would you mind posting up a few pictures of some of the tools you created? I have a tech from Marz Canada willing to hook me up and walk me through all this, but he did mention I MUST buy some specific proprietary tools first: vice blocks, STA wrench, compensater piston tool and bleed fitting for the syringe. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisingrassia View Post
    These are great videos though!!!!! I don't know how in the world I didn't come across these late last year.

Would you mind posting up a few pictures of some of the tools you created? I have a tech from Marz Canada willing to hook me up and walk me through all this, but he did mention I MUST buy some specific proprietary tools first: vice blocks, STA wrench, compensater piston tool and bleed fitting for the syringe. Thoughts?
    I don't think this video was there late last year. I have some Park vice jaws and a Park 23mm cone spanner that does the job. I am travelling for the next week and don't have any pics on me of the tools. You need to be careful when pulling the top cap off the TA cart as there are 2 rubber balls and a very small detent ball and spring. The tools don't have to be perfect. The bleed tool is the most time consuming to make. Will send you some pics when I get home next weekend. Best I can do. The tech guys @ Marz in Canada are awesome. Just don't expect anything out of the Italians. They don't understand what product support is all about. It took me almost a year to get where you are now. I had just about binned mine when I laid it all out on the bench one day and it made sense.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    That would be much appreciated. Whenever you have a chance. I'm in the same boat as you were, trying real hard to get a service guide, but Marz in US and Italy were abnormally unhelpful. They must be run like a car dealership, making most of their revenue from service dept.

I don't think I realized it until last night watching a bunch of videos again, but the 55 Micro STA actually has two cartridges: TST Micro in the right leg, STA in the left leg (excuse my ignorance there, that's why I'm here to learn about this fork). Based on this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrBmbS3lGw) the TST seems pretty simple to service. Based on this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGhB9fJWwak), the STA is going to be a complicated mess.....especially since I accidentally opened that bleed valve and dumped a bunch of oil. Now I have no choice but to service that STA cartridge.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    That would be much appreciated. Whenever you have a chance. I'm in the same boat as you were, trying real hard to get a service guide, but Marz in US and Italy were abnormally unhelpful. They must be run like a car dealership, making most of their revenue from service dept.

I don't think I realized it until last night watching a bunch of videos again, but the 55 Micro STA actually has two cartridges: TST Micro in the right leg, STA in the left leg (excuse my ignorance there, that's why I'm here to learn about this fork). Based on this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrBmbS3lGw) the TST seems pretty simple to service. Based on this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGhB9fJWwak), the STA is going to be a complicated mess.....especially since I accidentally opened that bleed valve and dumped a bunch of oil. Now I have no choice but to service that STA cartridge.
    Dont worry. It isn't that complicated. I have a pair of 44s not 55s but they will be basically the same. The STA bleed screws in the 44s are M5 thread so you will just need to check if yours is the same. Yes there are two cartridges the micro tst is very easy to rebuild. No bleed procedure just fill oil up to the thread. After a while you will find that the TST cart will suck oil from the lower leg and lock up. Just drain and refill to correct level will fix this. I have had this happen before. Some forums say to just grease the bushes on the tst side to avoid this happening but I just put half the amount of recommended oil in and a bit more grease and haven't had it happen again. Will post some pics of the tools I made next weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    And if youse all need a bleed fitting, "M5 hose tail" is the name you'll wanna search for

Brass Hose Tail Adaptors M5 Met Male x 03mm ID Hose Brass 9 02178 | eBay

Great info on the fabrication of a compensator tool!

I made a thread on our local forum with this info as a marker for myself when I need to do it in the future.

The definitive ghetto guide to servicing the Marzocchi 55 Microswitch TA
    Last edited by bing!; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    And if youse all need a bleed fitting, "M5 hose tail" is the name you'll wanna search for

Brass Hose Tail Adaptors M5 Met Male x 03mm ID Hose Brass 9 02178 | eBay

Great info on the fabrication of a compensator tool!

I made a thread on our local forum with this info as a marker for myself when I need to do it in the future.

The definitive ghetto guide to servicing the Marzocchi 55 Microswitch TA
    Cool info. Nice one-stop-shop for those with a 55 Micro STA. However, could you elaborate on how to fabricate the compensator rod? I assume there's gotta be more to it than just buy an M6 rod from Lowes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Cool info. Nice one-stop-shop for those with a 55 Micro STA. However, could you elaborate on how to fabricate the compensator rod? I assume there's gotta be more to it than just buy an M6 rod from Lowes.
    Thats pretty much it. You need to be able to screw into the compensator with the rod, and hold it down while you bleed. You can make a handle if you wanted.

The key info I got her was the size of the thread. I've tried servicinf one already. I couldnt tell what the thread was as the thing you screw into is buried 12 inches inside the TA cart.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So I tried getting apart this TST Micro cartridge tonight, and can't get it to break loose. At first I thought I was supposed to loosen the black nut, but that clearly wasn't right once it started oozing oil everywhere.

I then re-watched a YouTube video and it looks like I'm supposed to loosen the silver edged nut from the lower cartridge. But it's stuck on there. I tried a box wrench, a crescent wrench, heating it up with heat gun and clamping that nut in the vise and trying to unturn the cartridge housing. No dice. It's not budging at all. Am I doing this right? The problem with just trying to loosen with a box/crescent wrench is that as I turn on the silver nut, the whole cartridge housing begins to unscrew from the top cap. Thoughts? Advice?
    Marzocchi 55 Micro Switch TA service infos?-20150405_201637.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Scratch that. Needed a second set of hands (fiance's) and rubber bands for grip to hold the cartridge housing while I turned the nut. Loctite was the culprit.

Call me crazy, but I just can't see why Loctite is needed in applications like these. The theory of this thing unscrewing itself while inside the stanchion is comical.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Scratch that. Needed a second set of hands (fiance's) and rubber bands for grip to hold the cartridge housing while I turned the nut. Loctite was the culprit.

Call me crazy, but I just can't see why Loctite is needed in applications like these. The theory of this thing unscrewing itself while inside the stanchion is comical.
    if you have little experience with stuff like this, youd be suprised how easily thing loosen themselves within anything the cycles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    if you have little experience with stuff like this, youd be suprised how easily thing loosend themselves within anything the cycles.
    Really? Well do you think the "residual" loctite that's still on the threads is sufficient when I put it all back together? Or should I scrape off the old stuff and put a few new drops on?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Really? Well do you think the "residual" loctite that's still on the threads is sufficient when I put it all back together? Or should I scrape off the old stuff and put a few new drops on?
    Henkel is a high tech company. They recommend you clean the old stuff off with alcohol and use new thread lock each time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Henkel is a high tech company. They recommend you clean the old stuff off with alcohol and use new thread lock each time.

mtbr member
    May 2014

Here are some photos of the tools I made. M6 threaded rod with 2 lock nuts to grip onto. This screws straight into the compensator piston to allow it to be cycled and bled. The bleed tool is an M5 bolt cut to 12.5mm thread length. I then drilled a 2.0mm hole through the centre of the bolt starting at the allen key head end about half way into the bolt. I then drilled the same size hole in from the side until it broke through into the first hole in the centre of the bolt. I drilled this hole approx 3mm down from the underside of the head or approx 4 threads down. I then drilled out the allen key flats and machined the end of a bit of tube to fit which i soldered in place. Then i tapped out the end to accept my rockshox reverb bleed syringe to make it easy to adapt to. Another easier option would be to use the M5 hosetail from Bing!'s post and tap the head of the drilled out bolt to accept the hosetail.
    My way isnt the easiest or neatest but it did the job perfectly.

Marzocchi 55 Micro Switch TA service infos?-img_3316.jpgMarzocchi 55 Micro Switch TA service infos?-img_3317.jpgMarzocchi 55 Micro Switch TA service infos?-img_3318.jpgMarzocchi 55 Micro Switch TA service infos?-img_3320.jpgMarzocchi 55 Micro Switch TA service infos?-img_3321.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast