Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Marzocchi 55 CR convert to RC3 EVO?

Hey all,

So I'm thinking of getting a new fork and I've got my eye on a 55 for my bike.

The RC3 EVO Ti is what I would love, but it's only available in 170mm. Too long for the bike I'm putting it on. I want to maintain the geometry or even lower it a bit. Weight is also a factor, so the 55 CR lowered to 150mm is what I'm thinking.

Everyone talks about how great the RC3 EVO damper is, but I can't seem to find any thorough reviews of the CR damper. Anyone have any experience with one? Is it possible to pull the CR damper and put an RC3 EVO in there? Is would that be a good idea? Would it work well with an air spring?

There's also the 55 Micro Switch TA, which is a lot closer to the fork that it would be replacing, but I don't really use the travel adjust feature much, and I haven't heard much good stuff about the Micro TST damper...

Aesthetics, sadly, also play a part and I'm really digging the black and gold look of the new Marzo stuff...

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Take all this worth a grain of salt....

The chassis for the rc3 and cr are the same. The rc3 cart is really, really nice. That said, the CR, from what i understand, really holds its own. Marzocchi knows HSCV dampening, its what's been in their forks for years.

I would stay far, far away from travel adjust, air, and marzocchi in the same sentence.

It would not be too hard to lower your 55 to your desired ride height. What I would do (and have done)

Order up the 55 rc3 evo. It's a sexy fork, and no reason to get anything less. Just do it right.

2. Take out the spring. Measure free length of the spring. Determine if a lyrik spring at 320mm long, or a van 36 spring at 310mm long (both will fit in the 55 rc3 stanchion tubes) will reduce your travel by an acceptible amount.

3. unbolt the bottom footnut on the spring side. Add a spacer (I really like to use urethane skateboard truck bushings, they're cheap, solid, cut easily, won't scratch) that is equal to the difference in free length between the two springs, between the plate the spring sits on and the top out spring. Reinstall plunger, drop spring in, ride happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
    I would stay far, far away from travel adjust, air, and marzocchi in the same sentence.
    Thanks a lot for the reply. I will look into the possibility of lowering the RC3 Ti.

Can I ask for a reason for your aversion to Marzocchi's air springs? I have heard the same warning from people before...

I don't like how Fox's air springs feel, but I'm on a Lyrik RC2 DH DPA right now, and I have to say I'm super impressed with it. I also have a Dorado and that is amazingly coil like in feel. Is air a technology that Marzocchi can't seem to get?

EDIT: If I do go air sprung, I will be going with the AER version, not the Switch TA...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I mean, they're good at some air stuff. I really like the roco series of rear shocks.

Its when marzocchi tried to do an air spring PLUS something else.....like, travel adjust, or compression. If they made a basic float or solo air style system, I don't see why it couldn't work just fine.

It's more that there are, like you said, a few really good, proven options on teh market for air springs. I'll go rockshox for air stuff any day. I really like the solo air cart, its easy to service, feels good, has a nice progression at the end of the stroke, and just runs for a long time.

Marzocchi is the plush option, and you might as well get the full effect with the ti coil. For an air fork, I think you already have one of the best choices.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've got about 25 rides on my 55 micro switch (160mm). I'd been running a 36 VAN coil since '05 as I didn't like any of the air springs at the time. Went out on a limb buying an air fork, but wanted to try the latest offering from Marz. So far I am very impressed with how supple this thing is and the air spring is way more linear feeling than the '12 fox float 36 I tried. No problem getting full travel (I'm 140 lbs). I'll never use the travel adjust, but the switch was the only 55 air fork with a tapered steer tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the reply Lakesnake. Do you have the TST Micro? How has the damping been?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pas de Dopage View Post
    Thanks for the reply Lakesnake. Do you have the TST Micro? How has the damping been?
    The 55 MICRO SWITCH TA uses the TST Micro damper. It's been great so far. But Austin trails are slow techy with some drops and square edge hits, so I can't comment on high speed 25+ mph performance. I suspect the EVO damper would be better in those situations. I guess I'm most impressed with the linear feel and lack of stiction for an air fork (compared to a Fox float). A coil is still the ultimate IMO. but the air spring in this fork is very close to coil performance. It's a bit heavier than the 36 Float. The additional weight is mostly in the axle. I weighed the axle from my 36 and the 55. The 55 axle was ~ 100 grams heavier than the 36. Wall thickness on the Marz axle is huge. All in all, very happy with the fork so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just talked to the Marz rep here in Canada looking for parts for my 66. I mentioned I had three Marz forks and swore by them (all pre 06). He said they have a trade in program for marz owners and I could get a new fork for a good deal. He said he had time on the Corsa SL which is the same dampening as the 55 CR. It was sweet. The 55 CR was in my price range. I told him I have an RC2 and a RC3 and will be disappointed with regular SSV. He said no, it will be fine.

But, if the money is there, you can lower the RC3 Evo as above. Lowering is easy.

The 55 CR is air only and I agree with the above statement about Marz and air,but I was on a 66SL last summer and more plush than any other air, so may have fixed the air problem.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I had a 06 Z1 sl with the dopio air and RC2 cart. It had both a positive and neg air spring adjust and used the neg air spring to pull the fork down to 130mm from 150mm. It was by far the best air fork I have used much better then my 08 36 talas and better than the solo air on my 170mm lyric DH or even the dual air on the my pike and revelation. It was a very very plush fork at a great weight. I think that marz can do air springs for sure.
    The CR is lighter than the evo and you can upgrade it to the evo cart if you feel the need in the future. It is listed as having a spacer to drop it to 150 from 170. seems a good platform to work from.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    55 cr is shimmed like the Evo, not ssv. The new air springs also work much better than any previous fork so I think you will be impressed by the cr!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just put a lowered 55cr on my endorphin. Only have a driveway test but it feels like butter. I am tweaking now though with no riding in upstate ny right now.

Coming from a duc 32 and float rc2 I have high expectations from this fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LAKESNAKE View Post
    The 55 MICRO SWITCH TA uses the TST Micro damper. It's been great so far. But Austin trails are slow techy with some drops and square edge hits, so I can't comment on high speed 25+ mph performance.
    I can testify to that part: The EVO makes the 36 Van feel like it's never going back on my bike again.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just got a CR and the air and oil cartridges seem spot on to me. It's very smooth yet supportive. One of the best forks I've ever ridden.Feels similar to EXM 150, spikes less than a Rev and more supportive mid stroke than a Fox. Rc3 may be their top dollar cartridge but there's nothing wrong with the CR. Locally they are 1/2 the price of Fox 26 and 34 mm forks. The way the 55 CR rides , it's an absolute steal. Mine came in at 2240g with axle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I second you on the CR. I paired the endorphin with one lowered to 150 mm. I only have 2 rides on it so far but today was on a real technical route. I am coming off a maverick duc 32 in this bike, I also regularly ride a delirium-t with a 160float rc2. This 55CR performs noticeably better tn both forks.

I do not sense a compromise with small bump compliance and mid stroke support. It also tracks and corners very well holding its line over rough stuff. I have been running higher PSI in my Hans dampf as the fork is now providing that traction.

I think I can dial it it in further as I only have 1 click of compression adjust left to add. Maybe I should run more PSI (85)and less clicks? I am running rebound about at about 2/3 fast. I weigh about 150 with gear. What are you guys set up at who are running the 55 cr?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Like you I'm running it at 150mm [ although I'm thinking of getting a 2nd at 170mm for another bike] and I've only got a couple of hours on it. I usually run soft set ups and am surprised I'm actually running close to recommended pressure . That's a first for me. I'm 160lbs and set at 150mm I'm running 170 to 175 psi about 2 to 3 clicks comp[ need to try on varying terrain yet] . Not sure on rebound about 1/2 I think. Once again more than normal, probably because I'm running closer to design spec for the fork. It doesn't feel like it needs much breaking in,but I suspect I'll be upping the comp or air press when it breaks in. I presume it is only L S comp but it appears to cause less spiking than most other forks when dialling in extra LS comp. I'm sure at 170mm I'll need more air press and comp dialled in and there is scope to raise the oil weight if need be when running it at 170mm.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 03-23-2013 at 11:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have 2000+ miles on my 55 micro-switch TA without any issues. I really like my Marzocchi, air sprung, switchable ride height, micro adjust fork despite what the naysayers spew. 160/120 is the absolute perfect combo for pretty much anything.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The CR 'Dynamic Bleed Cartridge' can't be too bad as they are dropping the RC3 cartridge on the DH line in favour of a tricker version of the CR anyway.

An Exclusive First Look at Marzocchi's Brand New DH Fork and Shock - Taipei Show - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I saw that. I'm excited to see Marzocchi continue their progression, and I hope with the right product, they can continue their resurgence as a quality suspension company.

That 380 C2R2 and the Moto shock look great, and I hope they signal more good stuff to come. I wonder if they will be similarly revamping the 55?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    As the stock spacer drops the fork from 170mm to 150mm. Is it possible to put in a space half the size and drop to 160mm? In theory I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work but you never know. Anyone able to offer any advice?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1504 View Post
    As the stock spacer drops the fork from 170mm to 150mm. Is it possible to put in a space half the size and drop to 160mm? In theory I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work but you never know. Anyone able to offer any advice?
    Maybe ? if you could get a 10mm spacer. Unlike fox and RS trvael adjust spcers the CR one has male and female ends to snap into the spring and over the piston.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I recently did this conversion to my 55cr. Like the last guy said there are male and female ends, it is kind of like an "I". That said, if you really wanted it to work you could try and splice the middle out leaving the two ends to be refused together somehow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I think it's better to make new custom spacer if you have such options. On the link below there's a thread on german mtb forum about this spacer and there you'll find lot of usefull informations...

Marzocchi 55 CR 2012 - Spacer zum traveln - MTB-News.de - IBC

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'll have to get my German gf to read this to me, do yu think it matters that I put the spacer at the bottom of this spring rather than the top? I still get the desired decrease in travel, but maybe it would have an affect on the performance of the spring?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    or you can use google "gf" Google Translate

About the position of spacer: i have no idea... (i don't have this fork)

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The other option is to just run them at 170mm. They have a 44mm offset so should still steer quicker than other 160mm forks with shorter offset, especially the Fox 36 160 with it's very short offset. From memory, static bar height, before you take in to count the extra sag, only rises about 10mm going from 150 to 170.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 04-04-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast