Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    For those of you running a 55 cr, is there noticeable difference in the rebound when you adjust the knob? After riding this for about a month the return stroke is a little too fast for my liking, but when I adjust the rebound knob I don't get much of a noticeable difference. Is there a proper way to do this other than turning the knob? ( like removing the but than reinserting the key and turning?)

Is it possible I didn't reassemble the damper properly after installing the spacer? I know to recharge the camber it had me open the gate to full open, but I assume the rebound knob re-engages this to close it when reassembled. Everything seems put together properly and re engaged. Anyone have any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My knobs notchy on the cheap ratchet but otherwise it works fine. Really good rebound control and tuning.

You shouldn't have needed to disturb the oil cartridge at all?. Just installing a travel spacer on the air side shouldn't have any affect. Has the rebound ever worked? If not, prise the rebound knob off and use a 4mm allen key down the hole .Maybe you have a badly moulded rebound knob that doesn't engage properly. The other possibility,if your your oil cartidge has been disturbed, is that it needs bleeding. There is a You tube video on rebuilding the LR/CR cartridge and the bleed process.
    Shouldn't need to do this on a new fork if you haven't disturbed the oil cartridge. Can you return it under warranty?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I did disturb the damper when I installed the spacer but I recharged it according to that YouTube video, obviously I could have messed something up. Everything seems attached fine and the recharge process was pretty straight forward. I bought it new, but second hand so I doubt I can warranty. I also don't think it would require a warranty just need to make sure together is installed correctly.

When you adjust the rebound, is the red cap actually turning the black knob on the outside of the fork, or does the Allen key make an internal adjustment only (and the red knob rotates on the black nut)?

Edit: upon further inspection I am pretty sure it is reassembled correctly. when using the rebound knob or an allen key it engages internally and has about 1/2 turn rotation to reach each limit. might be just me but I think i feel faster rebound when cranked all the way to fast, maybe I am just expecting a larger difference. What PSI are you running, I have been around 83 and I weigh 150lbs. I have read somewhere using 10wt oil instead of 7.5 to slow it down a bit. For some reason, this chart is not clear to me:

55 - 65 (121 - 143) 65 - 85 (143 - 187) 85 - 105 (187 - 231)
    44 LR 6,00 (87,00) 7,00 (101,50) 8,00 (116,00)
    44 MICRO TI 5,00 (72,50) 6,00 (87,00) 7,00 (101,50)
    4X 6,00 (87,00) 7,00 (101,50) 8,00 (116,00)
    55 CR 5,00 (72,50) 6,00 (87,00) 7,00 (101,50)
    55 MICRO TI 5,00 (72,50) 6,00 (87,00) 7,00 (101,50)
    Last edited by LaXCarp; 04-24-2013 at 04:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm about 160lbs and run about 75 to 80 psi and 1/2 way on the rebound, very similar to most of my forks .I can't remember if it really slows up lots at full rebound damping setting? You may prefer a lot more rebound to me.

Like all my better forks, the rebound damping kicks in more at the end of the rebound stroke. I usually set my forks by pushing down on the bars and listening for the squelch noise at the end of the rebound stroke. I like it so it just kicks in enough so it tops out smoothly.That way it rides nice and high over trail chunder.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've got hold of a 2013 Fox 36 RC2 so I can compare it with the CR 55. Both set at 150mm travel, they have the same AC and the RC2 is less than 100g lighter. 60g of that is in the axle.Even with the revised air chamber, the RC2, with both high and low speed compression dialled right back, is still more progressive. It's not harsh, just uses less travel. It doesn't spike when adding low speed compression like the 32 RLC forks I've used before.With 55 psi in the RC2 and 80 psi in the CR55, the Rc2 is still not as smooth over small trail chattter. I can use all the travel of the 55CR, If I get a bit out of shape and give it a a good thump. Not with the RC2. On a typical trail loop I would use 140mm of travel on the Cr55 and 130mm on the RC2.
    The CR55, with it's large offset is more neutral at 170mm. Set at 150mm the steering is accurate but a bit quick with 26". At 150mm it's good for 650b or if your using it on a frame designed for shorter travel . I like the short offset of the RC2, it gives extra cornering stabilty for 26".
    Out of the box the CR55 is a good smooth linear tune for heavy trail work or light riders[ more so than a RS Revelation 150 or F32 150] and the RC2 has a more firm progressive freeride feel to it. I'm pretty sure by adding more oil to the air chamber, the CR55 can be made more progressive. As it's quite linear, adding more air will decrease small bump compliance but you can still afford to loose some compared to the RC2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If anyone has the time to help with my questions posted here:

2013 Marzocchi 55 RC3 EVO V2 TI

much appreciated! thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just got a 55 cr for my specialized pitch. I have it set at 150mm the fork feels amazing but the front end feels quite a bit lower than my last fork (suntour durolux set to 160mm) Im thinking of trying the 55 at 170mm but think it might be overkill. What do you guys mean by off set, is it to do with axel to crown height?

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2