mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Marzocchi 55 ATA micro 2009 reliability?

Hi

Can you advice if the reliability problem in the 55 ATA 2008 model solved in the 2009 model.

Thx, Dror

Go back to school
    In 2008 Marzocchi suffered from a large % of their forks shipping with bushing slop and crowns that were not properly fitted to the steerer tube.

In early 2009 both of these issues had been resolved and everything was back to normal.

I have a 2009 888 ATA and enjoy the fork quite a bit. If your afraid to pop open your fork and read a guide for service I wouldn't buy that fork though. ATA is pretty notorious for having internal leaks if the orings aren't properly lubed. Fortunately the mechanics of it are very simple and opening it up to either lube or replace the orings with larger ones is very easy to do. Also you can mod your TST fairly easy but I don't know about TST Micro.

All in all, 2009 was a good year and ATA is a well engineered system. If you keep your stuff lubed up then your in for a very adjustable and very impressive fork.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Thanks

thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikesair
    In 2008 Marzocchi suffered from a large % of their forks shipping with bushing slop and crowns that were not properly fitted to the steerer tube.

In early 2009 both of these issues had been resolved and everything was back to normal.

I have a 2009 888 ATA and enjoy the fork quite a bit. If your afraid to pop open your fork and read a guide for service I wouldn't buy that fork though. ATA is pretty notorious for having internal leaks if the orings aren't properly lubed. Fortunately the mechanics of it are very simple and opening it up to either lube or replace the orings with larger ones is very easy to do. Also you can mod your TST fairly easy but I don't know about TST Micro.

All in all, 2009 was a good year and ATA is a well engineered system. If you keep your stuff lubed up then your in for a very adjustable and very impressive fork.
    What are your thoughts on the 2007 Marzocchi XC 700, TST2, Eta:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...t2+Eta+07.aspx

I am looking for a XC fork---100 mm travel for fire roads---in the $150 - $300 range and this one looks sweet, but the review on the 2007 models are mixed. Would this be a pain to service? If so, I may just go with the RockShox Recon SL:

http://wheelworld.com/product/rocksh...l-air-6904.htm

Thanks

Go back to school
    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Rain
    What are your thoughts on the 2007 Marzocchi XC 700, TST2, Eta:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...t2+Eta+07.aspx

I am looking for a XC fork---100 mm travel for fire roads---in the $150 - $300 range and this one looks sweet, but the review on the 2007 models are mixed. Would this be a pain to service? If so, I may just go with the RockShox Recon SL:

http://wheelworld.com/product/rocksh...l-air-6904.htm

Thanks
    2007 was a good year for Marzocchi and ETA is one of Marzocchi's most popular travel adjust system. Very fast and effective. People have their complaints with TST2 but there usually related to incorrect oil levels. I highly recommend you check the oil levels of your fork right from Jenson. I feel as long as you keep your oil levels correct that TST2 is fine. You can even mod it pretty easily to get a pretty plush fork.

All Marzocchi's are easy to service. Open bath goodness. All the nuts and bolts are standard.
    Last edited by Bikesair; 02-08-2010 at 06:44 PM.
    Die to ride, ride to die

And I don't mean the band

It's all the baby cow's fault

I just bought a 2009 Marzocchi ATA fork, and after the 3rd ride it broke. I'm getting on the phone with Marzocchi today for the warranty. Let me know if you want me to keep you posted on what's going on with it.

I blame the baby cow

It dumped half the travel, and there's no way I can get it back up
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. --Mark Twain

BLAWG

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    yeah,

that's a standard problem with the 08 Ata system.
    It seams that they put too small orings in the the ATA system.

Here is a link how to fix“it yourself:

How to: Fix your stuckdown 07/08/09 Marzocchi 55/66/888 ATA fork: Pics

cya psycho-bunny

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Is there any fix for the bushing slop problem, or is it a matter of getting new lowers?
    Also, my 2008 55ATA started to clunk and have a harsh top out. The ATA cartridge seems to be holding air, but when I undid the top cap of the TST micro leg, I noticed that lockout/damping engages about halfway down the fork travel. Does this mean that the TST cartridge needs a re-bleed?
    What oil do you recommend, I know it's 7.5w, and I have 7w Fox oil on hand, Is that good enough?
    Last edited by Biggles604; 02-08-2010 at 02:08 PM.

And I don't mean the band
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho-bunny
    yeah,

that's a standard problem with the 08 Ata system.
    It seams that they put too small orings in the the ATA system.

Here is a link how to fix“it yourself:

How to: Fix your stuckdown 07/08/09 Marzocchi 55/66/888 ATA fork: Pics

cya psycho-bunny

thanks! that'll do the trick!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. --Mark Twain

BLAWG

mtbr member
    Bushing slop cannot be fixed by the user, you will have to get updated late 09 or 2010 lowers from marzocchi

But the ATA system can be serviced with my guide
    check my signature

Go back to school
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles604
    Is there any fix for the bushing slop problem, or is it a matter of getting new lowers?
    Also, my 2008 55ATA started to clunk and have a harsh top out. The ATA cartridge seems to be holding air, but when I undid the top cap of the TST micro leg, I noticed that lockout/damping engages about halfway down the fork travel. Does this mean that the TST cartridge needs a re-bleed?
    What oil do you recommend, I know it's 7.5w, and I have 7w Fox oil on hand, Is that good enough?
    I'm pretty sure TST does not have a bladder in the cartridge. Therefor you cant really "rebleed" the system. It sounds to me like that cartridge has been damaged. You should immediately check the oil levels in the fork however I would be surprised if it's not broken. Fox 7wt will work fine but if the fork feels different you know why.

You can easily find a guide on how to pop those guys apart. Lower nut, top cap, cartridge removal.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I wasn't sure if it was the lowers, or a different bushing that was required.
    The ATA fix I've done and reported my success in your thread, but it's the TST Micro cartridge that needs work. The lockout doesn't engage until halfway down the travel.
    You did send me a video on the fix, so I will try that soon. Is Fox Suspension fluid (7w) a suitable oil for the fix, or should I buy some dedicated 7.5w fork oil?

Go back to school
    The ATA fix I've done and reported my success in your thread, but it's the TST Micro cartridge that needs work. The lockout doesn't engage until halfway down the travel.
    You did send me a video on the fix, so I will try that soon. Is Fox Suspension fluid (7w) a suitable oil for the fix, or should I buy some dedicated 7.5w fork oil?
    Fox 7.5 will work fine but it may change the feeling of your fork. Here's the OEM Oil, $20 to your door.

By the way what your describing is a pretty good indication of lack of oil. Lockout not working until half way down.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikesair
    Fox 7.5 will work fine but it may change the feeling of your fork. Here's the OEM Oil, $20 to your door.

By the way what your describing is a pretty good indication of lack of oil. Lockout not working until half way down.
    I actually do still have some 7.5 golden spectro left Lack of oil is what I figured, but since it was recently serviced, I will check all the seals for a leak.

Meh
    For the TST micro bleed check this thread. Your cartridge isnt broken, just some fork oil has gotten past the O ring seal where the red arrow is in post #23 and is now part of the splash oil. Probably from a hard hit, easy fix after you do it once or twice.

This happens from time to time on my 55 and it takes 5-10 mins to fix and fork is good as new. I use it as an opportunity to change the fluid on the fork leg as regular maintenance.

A couple of tips I've learned.

1. Buy a quart of fork oil from a motorcycle shop, much cheaper & will last for many oil changes. I use Bel Ray 7wt. Also 5wt & 10wt available from Cycle gear, about $15 a quart.

2. Cycle the fork oil by actuating the rod up & down a few times to get all trapped air from when you dumped the old oil out.

3. when going to close off the cartridge, top off fork oil (you will lose some so is good to not spend $20 on just a pint and be crying). Most importantly, make sure the lockout on the top cap is not engaged, twist it to wide open if you will. This will allow excess fork oil to squeeze out of the orifice when you close it. If the lockout is engaged you will not be able to screw the top half back on. When you go to do this try it both ways if you like & will see what I am talking about.

4. The bottom rod will extend an inch or so but that is all right. When assembled pull the cartridge to the full extension & twist the top cap to engage lockout. It should be locked out now. Disengage lockout & should compress almost all the way.

Remember to add 35ml splash oil into stanchopn when closing up, good luck & if should be good as new!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My '08 55 ATA was trouble, don't know about the '09

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have a bit of the 7.5w golden spectro, a full container of 5w bel ray and a full container of the Fox 7w. I'll go get more GS, since it's cheap (much cheaper than the fox). I know the fork's not broken and just needs a bleed, and you have confirmed that the bleed is just the last segment of the video that is floating around that shows a full re-build. I didn't want to do that, just wanted it topped off.

What I am now curious about though, is if it needs a bleed, that means oil got out, and air got in, and I want to know where from.

Thanks for the thread link, I wish it had working photos still.

Its got what plants crave
    ATA sucks and it always has since it's inception. It has never been anything but problematic in my experience. This thread is proof of it. It seems every thread about the system evolves into a Marz tech support thread. Marz knows that it's a design flaw, yet they've been producing it for how many years? Lame.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org