mtbr member

Marzocchi 44 TST2 air fork

I just picked up a Marzocchi 44 TST2 air fork to replace my Rock Shox Dart 2. What I can't understand is the big deviation in the price of this fork from one vendor to the next.

At one vendor they had this fork advertised for $698 and several others had it for half that price. I have to assume it was a misrepresentation at the one vendor and they had to have doubled their ad for the Ti version.

But from what I have read this fork takes some time to dial in from the feedback but once it is it performs very well for a beefed up fork.

Should be a decent upgrade to give some more peace of mind on some of the tougher stuff on the trail.

POsted in the mtn bike forum before I noticed there was a suspension forum.

~Disc~Golf~
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Skeptical of ?????

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnNotice
    Skeptical of ?????
    not skeptical - the 'smilie' war more for "huh?"
    what are you asking/ranting/raving about?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    not skeptical - the 'smilie' war more for "huh?"
    what are you asking/ranting/raving about?
    Not ranting or raving. Not really asking but if folks have feedback on this fork that would like to share their experience would be appreciated.

Seeeriously easy Livin

I think this smiley would have been more accurate highdell

as for the tst2, you might want to look into the shim mod that was popular for the 55tst. If your daring enough to open up the fork, you may be able to get even better performance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg

I think this smiley would have been more accurate highdell

as for the tst2, you might want to look into the shim mod that was popular for the 55tst. If your daring enough to open up the fork, you may be able to get even better performance.
    Thanks catdaddy! Will look into that!

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    even better performance.
    lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

My experience with the 44 TST2 2010 fork

I got a 44 TST2 in November '09
    I had trouble with the rebound cartridge holding oil; After the initial 12-15 rides, I lost my lockout.
    I pulled the cartridge and adjusted the oil in it (and the bath) and everything was fine; 10 rides later same problem.
    I call tech support (R. Dilan 1/5/10) and he sounded skeptical, stating he believed the past problems with the cartridge had been solved in the '10 model.

I could live without a lockout, but as the oil got forced from the cartridge to the bath, it changed the way the fork felt and reduced the travel.
    After six months of messing with this fork, I ordered a Fox (when the '10's went on sale) to replace it this week; chalking it up to a lesson learned. Hopefully, I just got a bad one and this is not a design issue with the 44. However, I was not the only person on this forum to report "loss of the lockout" with this model.
    When the oil levels were right, this fork felt really good.

I never RMA'd the fork back to Marzocchi; it may have fixed the problem (by now, they would know if it's a design issue or a faulty cartridge). I just didn't want to be without a fork for an extended period of time; With a new fork coming, I may go that route and save it for a backup. (This fork has a 3-year warranty)

In retrospect, this was my fault. I had a '03 Bomber on one of my other bikes that was bullet proof. I just assumed the quality of the fork would be comparable. The 3-year warranty with this fork should have tipped me off there might be problems. As I researched the past TST2 after I began having problems, I was kicking myself for not researching more before I made the purchase. Yeah, the problem I was having was different from the past issues (where the oil bath was getting injected into the cartridge) but I was still having problems with the cartridge...
    Last edited by MarkHL; 05-16-2010 at 08:19 AM.

mtbr member
    I hope that was the issue.....bad one fork that is from that time frame when you bought it. I certainly will keep an eye on it for any issues. It went out for 11 miles today on some packed road; gravel road; single track with some bumps and rocks. The lockout worked when engaged and the travel is definitely plush but worked. I will tweak the air somewhat to get my ride style incorporated.

Thanks for the feedback.