Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    38

    Marzocchi 22 RLO

    I have a '03 NRS that has a Manitou Skareb Comp on it. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Marz 22 RLO. My budget is tight, and I was curious if it would even be worth it to upgrade to that fork. I guess I've been lucky with the skareb, as mine hasn't developed the crack like so many from '03 did, but the fork is extremely flexy. Now don't go out and recommend I get a Fox or some other $700+ fork. I simply cannot afford to drop that much cash for a fork. So should I get the Marz 22 RLO, or save up (for quite possibly a long time) for the Marz 44 RLO?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,688
    You can find the new Rock Shox SID on eBay for pretty cheap. You can also usually find Manitou Minute forks on eBay for fairly cheap as well. Personally, I wouldn't be looking at Marzocchi.

  3. #3
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,135
    Quote Originally Posted by a_joyner
    I have a '03 NRS that has a Manitou Skareb Comp on it. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Marz 22 RLO. My budget is tight, and I was curious if it would even be worth it to upgrade to that fork.
    The 22 is not an upgrade. It is a downgrade.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    The 22 is not an upgrade. It is a downgrade.

    Why do you say that? Supposedly it is a stronger fork with a rebound adjust, and a lockout. The Skareb just has a rebound adjust. Just curious what your reasons are.

    Maybe I should have mentioned it is a Skareb Comp
    Last edited by a_joyner; 04-22-2011 at 01:10 PM.

  5. #5
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    Quote Originally Posted by a_joyner
    Why do you say that? Supposedly it is a stronger fork with a rebound adjust, and a lockout. The Skareb just has a rebound adjust. Just curious what your reasons are.
    I wouldn't call it a downgrade since the Skareb Comp was also coil and used the ported FFD damper. But besides the lockout and a little increased stiffness (which comes at a pretty significant weight penalty) the damper on the Marz is also ported and really isn't going to provide any increase in fork performance.

    Spend $100 more and you can get a much superior fork in a Manitou Minute that is on clearance right now. Stiffer, lighter, and far superior damper
    http://aebike.com/product-list/manit...6-m22991-qc30/

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    38
    Thanks, I'll check that out. I was kind of leery about even considering another Manitou after all of the problems they had in the past, but maybe they have cleaned up their act.

  7. #7
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    Quote Originally Posted by a_joyner
    Thanks, I'll check that out. I was kind of leery about even considering another Manitou after all of the problems they had in the past, but maybe they have cleaned up their act.
    No...they have made good forks and have dropped a turd or two as well like pretty much any other fork manufacturer. The Minute falls into the good category, the Skareb (I owned a Skareb myself back in 2003 for six months and got rid of it) falls into the turd category IME.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    38
    Would you consider the Minute a better fork than the Marz 44 RLO?

  9. #9
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    Quote Originally Posted by a_joyner
    Would you consider the Minute a better fork than the Marz 44 RLO?
    Yes, far superior shimmed damper over the ported damper of the Marzocchi

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    38
    Thanks for all your help...looks like I'll be grabbing a Minute!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •