mtbr member

New question here. Marzocchi 2002 Z2 Atom Race Oil Height Question

I was working on a 2002 Z2 Atom Race the other evening and I think I am having an oil height issue, once the fork was fully assembled it seems to have a top out clunk. Rebound damping feels pretty good and I am getting full travel although it seems easier to bottom the fork out now.
    The manual that I have from the Marz website specifies a 40-50mm oil height. Is this with the spring/damper assy removed? Measuring the height with the spring installed would be difficult.

There is also an oil height specification in the oil height table on the website that lists "90" as the oil level. Is this CCs perhaps? a volume measurement would be better than an oil height.

Finally, is there a trick to getting the springs back in the legs with out knocking out the o-ring captures nut on the bottom of the legs.

Thanks in advance to any retro fork gurus or people with excellent memories!!

mtbr member
    oil height is with spring out, but damper in... pump damper rod while adding oil to purge air. 40-50mm would be the height while 90cc's sounds about right for volume. Clunk/harsh top-out along with easier to bottom would indicate not enough rebound damping and/or oil on the low side. I always added oil on the higher side of recommended (ie ~42mm) to provide bottoming resistance, but I'm a clyde.

I've only worked on '96-99 Z1-3's & ~2004 marathon's and I don't recall any issue with o-rings & springs, since the o-ring on bottom of damper is already installed & foot nut torqued before adding oil back in.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    '01 tech manual is at enduro fork seals site
    the '01 indicated 30mm oil height. They've also got nice pictorial's of changing oil/seals on that era bombers on there.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluid Dynamics
    […]
    There is also an oil height specification in the oil height table on the website that lists "90" as the oil level. Is this CCs perhaps? a volume measurement would be better than an oil height.
    […]
    I prefer the volume measarement as well

It says 90ml (100mm travel) or 85ml (80mm travel). ml is the same as cm³. Sorry, I don't know what CC is, but probably you mean the right thing

mtbr member
    I Never had the Z2 Atom Race, but I had several other Marzocchi forks and like logbiter never had any problems with the o rings.

The service manual is also in the archive Marz_Technical_02.rar on this page. The filename is L_Z2_AR_100.pdf for the 100mm and L_Z2_AR_80.pdf for the 80mm version.
    Last edited by smutbert; 03-22-2011 at 12:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    On my 2000 Z2 Atom 80 and my 2002 Z2 Atom 100 Race, oil level is set with shock assembled, legs compressed, springs out. Oil level to top of leg is 46 mm on both sides-I use a measured zip tie as a "dipstick."

I agree with cycling the damper (both the ECC and rebound units on the Race model) several times before setting final height, to purge out any trapped air. Mine will also lightly clunk with too-light a rebound setting, and when my damper started to fail. I have not tried heavier oil to see if this will help the old damper keep working-I suspect it might, being just a simple orifice unit.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    All, thanks for the responses. Once the springs were out, the job went fine. That is a really nicely built fork. I always had Rock Shox in those days and the Zoke is definately a better engineered fork.

I really appreciate the help!