mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Marzocchi 2001 X-Fly rebound damper adjuster issue

I just picked up a used 2001 X-fly 80. I took off the top caps to change the oil, and when I reassmbled it, I noticed that I could not put the air adaptor into the valve opening on the cartridge side because the rebound adjuster "knob" is up too high and won't let the adapter go in. With the adjuster turned all the way in it still sits up about 3/4 inch, or maybe more, from the top cap. Should it be flush with the top cap when turned all the way in? Is the top cap screwed down too far onto the hydraulic cartridge?

Thanks!

Look at the time!
    I'm not sure if I exactly understood what you mean, but the rebound adjuster knob on that fork does stick out about 1/2" above everything else, so I guess your fork is normal. Du you have the official MZ valve adapter?

wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah - I'm thinking the adapter I was given is incorrect. Looks a lot shorter than the ones I am seeing on e-bay.

Thanks!

Look at the time!
    here's a picture of my X-fly
    http://si6.mtb-news.de/fotos/data/40...fly80_2001.jpg
    Hope you can see the rebound adjuster sticking out.
    I sold the fork last year so I can't take a better one.

When you get the real adapter, you might find that if you screw it in all the way without a pump attached, it presses on the valve stem and releases the pressure from the fork. I think the adapter is supposed to have a hole in the middle for the valve stem to prevent this, but on mine the hole was off center. I dremeled it until it didn't touch the valve stem anymore.
    I'm not exactly sure if that's how it is supposed to work since the hole was off center on every of those adapters I've seen.
    Otherwise the fork worked good and was problem free and easy to maintain.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yep - I think that the adapter is definitely the problem. Thanks!