mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Marz Z1 FR1 replacement

Trying to decide on a replacement for my 05 Z1 FR1... It's on a 05 coiler (6"). Was considering a single or dual air revelation that goes up to 150 mm. Anyone have any experience on this fork? I do mainly trail riding but the occasional DH runs and I ride hard/fast. My Z1 has seen drops 15'.. Would prefer something that is PLUSH, and burly.. but I am really more looking to drop weight than anything. I know revelation is more of a all mountain fork than freeride but its soooo light.. Any other idea's?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ncg53
    Trying to decide on a replacement for my 05 Z1 FR1... It's on a 05 coiler (6"). Was considering a single or dual air revelation that goes up to 150 mm. Anyone have any experience on this fork? I do mainly trail riding but the occasional DH runs and I ride hard/fast. My Z1 has seen drops 15'.. Would prefer something that is PLUSH, and burly.. but I am really more looking to drop weight than anything. I know revelation is more of a all mountain fork than freeride but its soooo light.. Any other idea's?
    I had a Z1 FR 1 (5.8lb) and a Z1 Light (5.6lb). Great performers w/ good adjustability. Wanted a lighter fork for my Blur LT build - decided on a Pike Dual Air. Could have gone Pike coil but I am not a big fan of closed damper single coil forks. The Dual fit the bill for trail riding great adjustability - doesn't bottom but can be adjusted to have small bump compliance w/o dive. Now for the negative the durability has been sub par. After two seasons I have had the lowers replaced, Negative air spring, & a compression cartridge I will keep my fingers crossed it will function better w/ the newer parts ??? The Z1's in comparison are super durable. If I was dropping, jumping etc I might have just kept the Z1.

wuss
    Well the Pike Dual Air and Revelation Dual air (throgh axle) are pretty identical forks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    what shape is that old z1 in
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i think id be inclined to keep that z1 until i couldnt get parts for it. any particular reason you're looking for a change?

non 2step lyric is a good choice as well.. all though ive been eyeing those 150mm revs pretty hard too.

29 some of the time...
    Revelations and Pikes are good forks. People who have reliability issues (like keen) are few and far between. The Pike platform is proven. So long as you go alloy steerer it is far lighter than a Z1. The only concern I would have on the Rev150mm is that it is a virgin product. I don't like being a guinea pig for 1st season products, in general there is a 50/50 chance that some major flaw could be found (like the lyric and totem 2-step forks).

I don't think the pike is as much a bruiser as that vintage of Z1. It has more of a AM feel to it. That said I have been running pikes since I sold my 130-150mm Z1 ATA frankenfork and I have yet to really find need for more than what the Pike provides.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    People who have reliability issues (like keen) are few and far between.

Don't think so. All of the problems w/ my Pike are common failures - might have to work @ SRAM to see the numbers.

29 some of the time...
    Keen, no need to be up in arms. Obviously you are on the boards here about at much as I am. Not really sure where you are seeing people with multiple issues like yourself. Even your case isn't that out of line for 2 seasons of use (replacing lowers is a bit out of norm, but the other failures are o-ring and plastic component failures). I have yet to ride a fork that didn't require yearly rebuild. Yes, some will ride them into the ground but performance goes to crap after a season. Even Z1 forks do good to get the rubber bits changed out annually.

By in large my personal experience and the reviews on the forums here indicate that the Reba, Revelation, and Pike fork platforms are very reliable. But you are correct, SRAM would have to release QC numbers to the public to have an official scope on how reliable these forks really are. To date I have owned 5 pikes, 2 revelations, and a reba with not one mfg defect or premature failure.

wuss
    The Rock Shox forks are some of the most common ones available. I do know there where some problems with o-rings (especially in low end models) at the beginning of the season and big problems with 2-step for at least the first two years, but considering how many of these forks there must be out there I would say there seem to be very few people with serious problems (especially with Pikes and Rev's).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Keen, no need to be up in arms

Just stating the facts. My fork may be two seasons old but it has seem very little use. Each failure I had was well known w/ SRAM not isolated. The lowers had incorrectly molded disc tabs which happened on a run of lowers. You can find quite a few posts on oil leaks from the compression knob which requires a new compression assembly. Look for threads on travel loss, can't get full travel or oil from negative air valve - all common issues for defective negative air spring o-rings. SRAM isolates themselves from the consumer by making all repairs / warranty go through your LBS - I make it a point to call SRAM directly w/ any technical questions so I get 100% of the info I need.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    they're so cheap and easy to fix at home with common tools and no fuss. the orings are cents, worst case if you blew a damper out of warranty, its 50 bucks, no bladders, no bleed, nothing weird. they're very reliable, theres TONS of very happy long time pike users. pikes probably one of the most proven RS forks.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    they're so cheap and easy to fix at home with common tools and no fuss. the orings are cents, worst case if you blew a damper out of warranty, its 50 bucks, no bladders, no bleed, nothing weird. they're very reliable, theres TONS of very happy long time pike users. pikes probably one of the most proven RS forks.
    Agreed. Can't say my Pike and Reba have totally been trouble free, but all the fixes have been very easy and cheap, even out of warranty. I blew the seals at the base of the damper side on both forks, one after about three years, the other after two years. Easy and cheap fix (o-rings) and if I had changed the o-rings once a year when I should service the fork, I doubt I would have had any problems. One of my MoCo dampers is 4 years old and works fine, the other is acting funny after a little over two years. $45 bucks to replace the whole damper unit, and as easy as changing a screw.

With a pair of snap-ring pliers, crescent wrench (or 20something mm socket), and hex wrenches it is VERY easy to do ANYTHING to these forks. Dual air requires a 10mm socket.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    well, this is some really good info.

My Z1 is in ehhh good shape... i spose.. bushings and seals have been replaced not too long ago... threads for the damper snapped which sucks but i figured out a fix for that, but its kinda ghetto, but works fine.. looks like the seals for the damper leak as fluid comes out of the top, but fork still feels good riding it.

So, main reason I want to upgrade is to go lighter, and keep similar plushness and durability and secondly I'm afraid at some point my Z1 is going to be done for.
    Anyone have experience with the revelation solo airs? more reliable? less plush?
    How is plushness on the dual air rev or pike compared to a Z1

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by ncg53
    Anyone have experience with the revelation solo airs? more reliable? less plush?
    How is plushness on the dual air rev or pike compared to a Z1
    I don't think Revelation or pike are offered in Solo Air. If you go air it will be dual air of air u-turn, which is also dual air. Plush is in the settings, but IME the pike/rev are more plush than an older marzocchi fork. Only time I would have gone back to the Z1 would be when I wanted the 150-160mm of travel or the extra burliness of the chassis. The rest of the time you are lugging an extra 1-1.5lb around