In my mind, I can do it!

Marz MX Comp ETA 105 Problem

When I first got this fork it was very plush and supple. After about 250 miles it was harsh and it was the recommendation from Marz to replace the oil which I did have done at an authorized LBS. (I might also add that I had to take it back to the LBS because when I got it they had put too much oil taking the travel down to 80mm rather than the original 105) The fork has never really felt the same though. The replacement oil was a 7.5 weight and I keep the pressure at about 35-40psi (25% sag). I weigh about 185 fully loaded.

The problem is that the fork feels very harsh. It doesn't seem to want to absorb the impacts or possibly the rebound is set to high. I don't really know for sure except it sure doesn't feel as supple as it used to.

Does this sound like a rebound issue, maybe a compression issue or both? Any help is appreciated. I am tried of getting beat up.
    Last edited by iviguy; 04-04-2006 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Title change

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    When I first got this fork it was very plush and supple. After about 250 miles it was harsh and it was the recommendation from Marz to replace the oil which I did have done at an authorized LBS. (I might also add that I had to take it back to the LBS because when I got it they had put too much oil taking the travel down to 80mm rather than the original 105) The fork has never really felt the same though. The replacement oil was a 7.5 weight and I keep the pressure at about 35-40psi (25% sag). I weigh about 185 fully loaded.

The problem is that the fork feels very harsh. It doesn't seem to want to absorb the impacts or possibly the rebound is set to high. I don't really know for sure except it sure doesn't feel as supple as it used to.

Does this sound like a rebound issue, maybe a compression issue or both? Any help is appreciated. I am tried of getting beat up.
    Bumpity bump...

ay Diablo!
    I just recently bought four used marzocchi forks ( marathon s, exr pro coil, and two mx comp eta's) Last month i serviced all four of them, because they all felt harsh. By the look of the oil, I wouldn't be surprised if none of them had ever been serviced. There was a lot of gunk build up(dirt and metal filings). To remove all the sludge build up I had to cycle a lot of oil through the forks. After I did this proceedure and put the right wt oil and set it at the right height for the weight of the rider they felt great. Maybe your fork didn't get clean oil cycled through it to remove all the build up. Just a guess, I really don't have a clue . I hope you get it fixed soon, I mean spring is here!

mtbr member
    Are you getting the full travel? What kind of harshness are we talking about? Problems absorbing small bumps (stiction) or poor damping throughout the range?

Could the fork oil you are using be too heavy?

Trail Rider

I've never gotten full travel...

On my MX pro with ETA and 105 mm. I'm getting just over 3.5 in., no matter how much air is in the fork. I was told the same thing about the amount of oil, to achieve full travel. It didn't help. I did go with 5 wt oil for a slightly better feel. I could never get a straight answer from Marz on how much oil goes in the fork legs. I'm glad I didn't spend a lot of money on this fork. Never again!
    [size=4]Don[/size]

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by I hate ricers
    Are you getting the full travel? What kind of harshness are we talking about? Problems absorbing small bumps (stiction) or poor damping throughout the range?

Could the fork oil you are using be too heavy?
    I don't think it is a stiction issue. It seems harsh over anything that is 2" or more whereas before I don't recall that being an issue. I believe I do get full travel. If I let all the air out I can press the shock down and get the right travel range. As far as the bump compliance/dampening the last time I rode I wound up letting more air out of the shock and it felt better except it had terrible brake dive. So I'm not sure what all this means. The oil is 7.5 and I forget the brand, but it's a racing type oil I believe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    check your rebound. Also, I would take the fork back. I don't think this is an oil issue.

My MX PRO ETA is at Marz for a warranty repair.