mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Marz MX Comp Air 85mm 2004 - Rebound side?

Sorry, but I can't work this out! Manual is useless too.

I want to slow down the rebound. But, I have no tool (long hex) since I bought it 2nd hand.

So, I was going to put in heavier oil on the rebound side.

But which side is rebound and which is compression?

One side, when I look down has a black ring with a big hole in it. Not so much internals.

The other side has stainless steel fittings in the middle of the black ring as far as I can see.

If someone says 'left' or 'right', is that as I am sitting on the bike or facing the bike?

Apologies again. Shouldn't be this hard. If there was a proper service manual or I had a tool to get off the nuts recessed into the bottom I could have worked it out myself.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The damper is....

on the right side looking as if you were seated on the bike.

Oops! wait a minute, the 04 MX Comp air had dual SSV damping. So there are dampers in both legs! I just remembered that tid bit. So change the oil in both legs!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Are they both adjustable then?

I have found two versions of information. One saying the hex rod is 3mm, the other that it is 12mm.

Now, it look to me as if there is a 3mm connection in one leg. The other doesn't look hex - it looks round. Though probably around 12mm.

Is 3mm right? I will cut an allen key and attach it to something once I know the size. The oil doesn't seem to be slowing it down enough.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

If I remember correctly...

one side is adjustable the other is not. The 3mm is correct. I've got an old 03 MX and only the right side is adjustable. I'm pretty sure the 04 is the same. I've still got the original, supplied with the fork, tool for adjustment. The wife is using the fork on her bike. Pretty darned good durability record so far.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks Squash. Great information. Yeah, this fork surprises me as to what it can take alright. Before I got my downhill bike I hit some stuff ridiculously hard by accident with it. But it was fine! Now, I want to get get into some XC training as part of DH preparation for next season, but it pogoes like a mad thing when out of the saddle. I reckon this will improve it. All the best.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Wouldn't buying a long hex wrench be cheaper than buying heavier weight oil, and accomplish the same purpose?

Anyway, here's a link.

http://manualer.happymtb.org/marzocc...comp%20air.pdf