• Manitou Black Platinum

1 10.00%
  • Rock Shox Recon

4 40.00%
  • Magura Phaon

1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    mtbr member

Marz Marathon SL vs Manitou Black Platinum Lockout vs RS Recon vs Magura Phaon

Hi!

I'm using a (I think it's '99) Magura Quake 110 mm fork and I love it.
    The only problem is that it doesn't have the lockout. So I'm after a new fork, and these are the forks I have in mind:

Marz Marathon SL
    Manitou Black Platinum Lockout
    Rock Shox Recon
    Magura Phaon.

I would use it for something like "racing" in the city and weekend XC. That would mean that it should be as fast as possible on pavements and for XC, and should hold up for some lighter jumps (up to 3 ft) and maybe some riding down the stairs.

Thanks a lot

mtbr member
    anybody even tried Magura Phaon since there are no votes for it in the poll...?
    Could somebody write something like comparation of (at least some of) these forks?

Thanks again!

"El Whatever"
    I've been riding a Phaon some four months now... it doesn't have any lockout, though.

You don't mention which Quake, but being 110, I think it's the air version... direct mother of the Ronin. The Phaon is nothing but a Quake CP125. Heavier than yours, but more able to take punishment.

It's basically the same fork you have, but coil sprung and with 15mm travel more.

It's a nice sturdy fork. No bells and whistles, just nice work. Adjustable rebound, compression preload and travel. All except the compression, at the reach of your hands, easy to adjust on the fly.

To be brief... there may be better forks out there. It's just that may hands do not itch to upgrade for something else, because I really can't complain of my fork.

It's rather heavy... but it's built like a tank. Not very plush, but has a very smooth and nice stroke. Easy to work on, totally adjustable (oil height, oil weight, spring rate)... and comes with the incredible back up from Magura's Customer Service.

Just be patient with it as setting it up will take time as the same adjustability means there's many things to dial. Also and you already know it from riding your fork, seals come VERY TIGHT from factory. They take ages to break in... but once broken in, the fork is very, very nice.

That would be my pick for street riding as it can take the punishment. The other would be the Recon. The Black and Zoke are more XC oriented. Very good choices too.

I had already to change the oil and converted the grease lubed leg to oil lubed (not per Magura's indications, I just did it on my own) and if it wasn't for the looser seals and typical scratches and cable rub, you couldn't tell it's been used.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

Marz Marathon

I have the feeling this is going to generate controversy, but here goes.

The Marathon SL is a fantastic shock. However before you buy it based on what you read online, or what a LBS says, feel it! With your own hands adjust it from 105 mm – 120 mm. You do this only with the negative air preload. Now realize the head angle of your bike is not going to change. It did on the older Marz forks, because you weighted the fork to a desired compression before you selected the setting. So if you love the feel of your 110 mm travel fork, realize it won’t be the same on your Marathon SL.
    happy hour is over, and I need two more gears.

mtbr member
    The Recon would be a good choice, I really like the way mine rides so far. It's very handy having the lockout control, plus the "U-turn" adjustment from 85-130