mtbr member
    May 2004

Marz Corsa vs Marathon vs XC700?

I'm buying a fork to go along with a new 4" travel XC race frame I've ordered in. There's some good deals on PricePoint right now (I shop there b/c they use DHL to ship to Canada instead of USPS, which saves a bunch of handling costs coming across the border). I've got it narrowed down to three options based on my riding style and price:

Marzocchi Corsa SL 100mm (the lightest of the three)
    Marzocchi Marathon SL 2006 (I currently have a 2002 Marathon SL that has run trouble free for 4 seasons, but it's the heaviest of the bunch)
    Marzocchi XC 700 SL 2007 (the middle ground)

My riding is XC racing at the sport level (a local weekly series and 5-10 endurance events each season) and trail riding in our local area, which includes a variety of single track, roots, rock gardens, etc. I never do stunts, jumps or big drops.

Which one would you recommend for / against?

Thanks!

ups and downs
    The 2007 Corsa needs some tweaking out of the box to prevent it bottoming out, both oil level and weight. I have an 80mm Corsa that was massaged by Marz Canada and it's been quite nice ever since. But for a 32mm fork it's not as stiff as a Fox in the front/back direction, if you pluck the front brake you can feel the fork resonate. But as long as you get it massaged by Naz at Marz Canada, it works pretty well. The weight in the Marz spec is fiction, it weighs about 3.6 pounds in 80mm travel with a cut steer tube (that whole spec'ing fork weight without a steer tube that Marz seems to do).

The 2007 XC700 SL had the same issue with oil level and oil weight and bottoming, and unless you need the 90-130mm adjustable travel, it's a lot of extra weight.It's also a lot heavier than spec'd at 3.1 pounds, it's just under 4 pounds.

The 2006 Marathon SL at PP is a 120mm.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. After a fair bit more review, it seems like Marz forks (that I used to consider bomb-proof) have fallen back in reliability and Rockshox have come forward somewhat.
    I've cut the Marathon and XC700 off my list, and added the Sid Race Dual Air 80. I know the SID will be lighter and a little more flexy. Which do you think will be more reliable ie less likely to leave me in a 'mail my fork to the manufacturer for 6 weeks' situation.

club très grand de VTT
    Would you not consider a Reba over the SID? Around 3.6lb _with_ steerer and somewhat stiffer than the SID. Works pretty well out of the box provided you get the air pressures right (long thread on that somewhere in here).

Just my tup'ence.

Cheers,

P.
    "There are no hills on this trail. It's all flat." - Scott TDF Roberts

ups and downs
    It's the Rock Shox Taiwanese forks against the Marzocchi Taiwanese forks...

I'd think you'd want a 100mm fork for a frame that has 100mm rear travel otherwise you're liable to have some quirky geometry changes under suspension compression. A 100mm Reba SL or Race would be a good reliable choice.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Reba's a good thought - I'll investigate. I was thinking SID = Reba + lighter, but maybe not so.

Re: 80mm travel - that's what I thought too, but then I checked out the stock fork spec for the frame. It's a 2008 Rocky Mountain Element. In the frame series 10 through 90 they spec a 100mm fork, but the Team edition gets an 80mm Corsa. Hmm ...

Re: Taiwanese forks: True. Ever seen the doc movie Manufactured Landscapes? An eye-opener.

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I had the xc 700. It was heavier than the listed weight and had similar problems out of the box. I took it into Marz Canada 2x. The second time the fork was a totally different fork - way smoother and no air leaks. I only had a few rides after that - bike was stolen. But based on the last rides I had, I am considering getting an xc600sl. The only thing making me wary is the lack of reviews on the xc series and lack of bikes spec'd with them (I think one of last years rockys has an 700sl).

ups and downs
    I have a 2008 XC700 ATA and it's completely different animal to the 2007 fork, different casting for the lowers, TST MIcro instead of TST5, different knobs, well behaved right out of the box, so I think Marzocchi has sorted out their Taiwanese manufacturing issues.

I don't think that 80mm front worked for many riders, my 80mm Corsa came from a racer who was switching his 2007 Element Team to 100mm Reba WC fork. The 2008 Element Team has a 100mm Corsa WC SL. The 2008 catalog has the Vertex Team shown with an 80mm Corsa fork, the 2008 Element Team has a longer fork for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 02-24-2008 at 11:22 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    OK, after much hemming and hawing - 80mm weight vs 100mm plush, setup vs longevity, past experience with the two companies, etc. - I pulled the trigger on the 2007 Marzocchi Corsa SL WC 100mm at Pricepoint.

Of course, cost was a primary consideration. Having already sprung for a new set of Avid Juicy 7's this year the annual bike budget had already been dipped into a bit, so $400+/- was the top of my range. That eliminated most top-line XC forks, and certainly anything '08. I knew at that price I would have to make some sort of sacrifice, and in the end decided the setup troubles people had experienced with the Corsa were more tolerable than the flexy nature of SIDs given all of the rock gardens in my area and my 170lbs weight. Additionally, I really wanted 100mm travel, and the SID had only 80mm, with somebody commenting they weren't even getting that. The last deciding factor was my positive experience with my '03 Marathon SL, now heading into it's 5th season with very little maintenance and no trouble.

So, for better or worse, there's one more bike decision made. Now I can go back to building up that singlespeed I'm putting together from spare parts in my basement (it will receive the hand-me-down Marathon)... :-)

Thanks for all your input, folks!

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Can the marathon at pp be set @ 100mm??

ups and downs
    It looks like they have some of each travel in stock.

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I can only find the 120mm version. What am I missing?

ups and downs
    Sorry brainfade on my part, the Marathon is a 120mm, I was thinking Corsa where they have 80 & 100mm.

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    No problem. I was just looking at the corsa but think it won't be enough fork and the $ is a little high for the budget.

Natural body armor
    So canuckxc, how's the Corsa working out for you?
    Riding impressions, feedback, comments?

I'm looking to buy the same forks.
    Thx
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

ups and downs
    I just replaced my 2007 Corsa with a new series SID Team and the SID is much stiffer front to back. It also has better small bump compliance especially on sharp edge hits like roots and embedded rocks. The Corsa is quite flexy front to back, and that's very conspicuous on braking, but there's also a difference in stability on descending steep rough terrain, the new SID feels much more like a Fox F80 but with less wooshing and squooshing noises. Take a look at the new SID Team.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Grrrrr ...

Not so great so far ...

I picked it for the longer travel, I hoped I could handle fork setup, and I have had excellent luck with my other two Marzocchi's, a '00(?) Bomber Z1 Light and '03 Marathon SL.

Ordered it an received PricePoint's usual fast service (3 days to Canada!).

I set it up as per the Marocchi guy's recommendation (Marocchi Tech Support is Here thread), and wasn't expecting much in the first couple weeks until it worked in. On the first ride I noticed some knocking during braking and wheezing. Turns out air was transferring from the bottom chamber to the top; when I backed the top chamber off the bottom pressure would decrease and increase back up in the top, always moving towards equalizing between the two. My LBS was kind enough to help me out (score one for the good guys - they do get lots of other purchases from me). It is at Marz Canada under warranty now.

I haven't ridden the SID Team that Rockyuphill speaks about, but his assessment of the Corsa seems dead on. It was pretty flexy on my first ride, exactly what I was trying to avoid in the SID.

Forks are difficult, because you can't test ride them and even when you try one on a new bike it's not broken in. Too bad, looks like I shoulda listened to the setup advice here and picked the shorter 80mm SID, or just blown the budget on a Fox.

There's still hope, though. I hear Naze is on the case, and everyone on these forums raves about him. If he can fix it up, my faith will be restored!

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckxc
    I haven't ridden the SID Team that Rockyuphill speaks about, but his assessment of the Corsa seems dead on. It was pretty flexy on my first ride, exactly what I was trying to avoid in the SID.
    Is this the 08 or 07 model?

You mentioned flexy. How big are ya?
    I'm replacing a Marathon XC 04 and had good luck with that, but it was a coil forks.
    Thanks
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    May 2004
    '07 model.
    I'm 170lbs.
    Um, pretty flexy? Not sure what to say, as I only rode it once and it seems to have been somewhat broken at the time. I'm not going to recommend this fork, as have I haven't had a good experience with it yet, but I'm not going to slam it either, as Marz seems to be taking care of the problem, and it may turn out to be a nice ride once returned.
    Certainly not a sure bet, tho ...

Natural body armor
    I have one more question for you (thanks )
    Can the TST feature be used without the remote?

Thx
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yes, by twisting a small dial at the top of the right stanchion.

It can be done on the fly, though it is a little awkward as it's a small stiff dial with no grab point. I wouldn't bother in a race, because I'm a little clutzy. Much easier to pop the propedal lever on the shock (which I do).

If you're not in a race, well, you might as well stop, take a sip of water, enjoy the wilderness, and then change TST modes.

ups and downs
    I had the remote removed an replaced with a standard top knob on my Corsa when Marz Canada tweaked the oil height and weight in the cartridge (the manual knob is from the previous year's Marathon Race it appears, it's slightly smaller in diameter than the other top cap).

The Corsa WC has a bit of platform in it which does reduce the tendency to bob but it also reduces small hit suppleness. On the hardtail it wasn't that obvious until I stuck the SID on and had much nicer small bump compliance. At 80mm travel, the Corsa's bob is negligible anyway, even pedaling out of the saddle.

You'd never really want to run the TST locked out anyway as it has no blowoff valve, if you hit a big enough bump locked out, the TST cartridge just pops and has to be rebuilt at $150 rebuild.

Natural body armor
    I only ride Marzocchi, so the SID is not an option anyway.

I was wondering if the XC700 might be a better fit choice then.
    also it seems like they have fixed a bunch of issues in the 08 models vs. the 07.
    The 07 was prety much the first gen fully built in Taiwan so the had to fix a few kinks here and there...
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member

Stay away from the Corsa

The tip of the adapter for the lower valve of my fork snapped off at the tip up inside the fork leg... with no excessive force... rendering it useless; the entire fork that is. Very poor design.

Trentmeyers
    how much does the marzocchi corsa marathon lt weigh? it must be the middle shock right?