inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Marz. bomber problems

I'm having trouble working on a Marzocchi bomber 66 sl. There seems to be a leak somewhere. I have it all taken apart right now with the RC2 cartridge and DOPPIO both out. When the fork was together, I'd pump air into the DOPPIO positive chamber and would cycle it into the negative chamber before checking again. But I'm not sure about the RC2 cartridge. Both have a little wear on the outside cannisters. Is my best bet to just call Marzocchi, even on parts from 06?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    How do you know it's leaking?

You are aware that some air volume from the fork is used to pressurize the gauge on a shock pump right? So hooking up a shockpump to check the pressure will always yield a lower reading than what was actually in the fork before you hooked up a gauge.

This doesn't mean to say you filled it with less air than the gauge read when filling the fork with air, as the pump and fork were pressurized to the same pressure when filling the fork and any air heard escaping when disconnecting the pump was air that was pressurizing the gauge.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I understand well enough that some air is used to pressurize the gauge and that it is a high pressure low volume canister, but the thing goes from 30 psi to 0 when I check later. Besides that, it blows through the travel too easily. Definitely something a fork shouldn't do.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Did you check the seals and valves for air leaks before you pulled the fork apart.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Did you check the seals and valves for air leaks before you pulled the fork apart.
    The seals left a lot of oil in the stanchions, so I know those are to be replaced. Thinking that the negative chamber on the right leg may have been leaking through the seal. If the valves leak, that would be a problem with the DOPPIO, which is factory sealed, or the RC2. I'll change the seals and reassemble it today after I call Marzocchi later.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2