"Yabut"

Marz 888 ATA SL problem

I am having troubles getting the fork to travel beyond 130mm (out of 200mm available). Even if I let out all the air, in both chambers, it still stops at 130mm. Could it be a cartridge problem? Thanks.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    Your ATA cart is stuck down, like a fox float rear shock can do.
    Its actually a pretty easy fix, my mate had it happen to his 08 888 ATA WC, im working on a guide to show you how to fix it

"Yabut"
    I just did a couple "tests", to see if I could figure out which fork leg was the problem. Here's what I did:

1. Let out all the air, from both chambers, on the ATA side. Then compressed the fork.
    Result: Still stops at 130mm of travel.

2. Unscrewed the top cap on the ATA side. (heard slight air releasing sound).
    Result: Still stops at 130mm.

3. Unscrewed top cap on the RC2 side. (ATA top cap still removed)
    Result: Fork travels full 200mm.

4. Reinstalled top cap on the ATA side. (RC2 cap still still removed)
    Result: Fork still travels full 200mm.

5. Pumped up the air chambers on the ATA side. (50 psi Top, 100 psi Bottom).
    Result: Fork still travels 200mm.

6. Reinstalled RC2 top cap.
    Result: Fork only travels 130mm.

There is also a clicking sound as I push the fork up and down.
    So, what do you think? Something wrong with the RC2 cartridge?
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member

Yeah, my 66 ata is like that too...

I tried the technique MBB described, thanks.
    It made the RC3 chamber go from the zero I ran it at to like 25 psi to keep the stanctions up; however you'd have to be a million pounds to get any travel out of it. So I compromised and got it to roughly ten psi and a really preloaded fork.
    It also lost a good couple ml of shock oil during the process... time for some real ttention my wallet fears.
    What do you think Marzocchi's response will be? I've heard of dudes gettin new, 2010 forks outta this type of thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrobinson
    I tried the technique MBB described, thanks.
    It made the RC3 chamber go from the zero I ran it at to like 25 psi to keep the stanctions up; however you'd have to be a million pounds to get any travel out of it. So I compromised and got it to roughly ten psi and a really preloaded fork.
    It also lost a good couple ml of shock oil during the process... time for some real ttention my wallet fears.
    What do you think Marzocchi's response will be? I've heard of dudes gettin new, 2010 forks outta this type of thing.
    My 66 ATA is on it's way to Valencia, CA for a warranty repair for same problem. Looks like Marz dropped the ball for '09 too. It's a shame I really liked the fork up till now...

Go back to school
    You will here if my '09 888 ATA gives in. 2 hours and so far so good. Cross your fingers for me. I love the fork.
    Die to ride, ride to die