= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005

Marz 66 Light ETA.. creaking seals

I've been riding this fork for about 6 months, on my Transition Dirtbag.. downhill, dirtjumps, drops, etc..
    The fork is awesome.. pretty solid, great adjustments and damping. Except for one pesky problem.

At first i thought the seals were a little sticky at the very top of the travel, as they produced some creaking noises if rocked gently while the fork is unweighted. So, i waited for the fork to break in... took it to Mammoth, dirtjumped it 3 times a week for a few months. Seals are really smooth now, but the creaking hasn't gone away. If anything, it's gotten worse. When the fork is fully extended, and i grab an upper tube and the crown and try to move them back and forth, there is some mad creaking going on, and there seems to be a bit of play. This results in a bit of flex in the steering, which is seriously getting on my nerves.

Does anybody have any similar experience with this fork, or perhaps any other '06 66 models?

Looks to me like some sort of a seal issue. My buddy rides an '06 RC2X, another friend rides an '07 RC2 ETA, both are totally solid.. no creaking, no play. So, i've been waiting to build up a backup rig, so i can *gasp* send the 66 off to Marz for a repair.

I've heard about some kind of a trade-in program that Marzocchi offers. Does anyone have any solid info on that? I'd be curious to see if I could trade up to an '07 66.

Any thoughts?

Elitest thrill junkie
    What you are describing has nothing to do with seals. It has to do with the bushings inside that the legs slide upon. Sounds like loose/worn bushings. Marzocchi should fix it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Creaking is probably the crown stanchions cryofit gone bad and the play has to be the bushings there is nothing else in there that could cause play.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    thanks for the info man... and pardon my uneducated technical vocabulary

I'm hoping i won't do any damage to the fork if i ride it for a coupla more weeks.
    As soon as my backup rig is built, it's going off to Marz.