mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Marz 44 Micro ti 29 vs Revelation RCT3?

I have an opportunity to get a new Rockshox Revelation RCT3 120mm fork for a good price. It's not the dual position version though.

I currently have a 2010 Marzocchi 44 micro ti set at 120mm on my bike. One complaint is that it can sometimes dive on technical downhill stuff or in rock gardens. I've got that mostly dialed out now, but still not perfect. The other is that it seems heavy to me.

Has anyone compared one of these to a revelation? What are your thoughts?

Both are tapered. The marz is 15mm thru and the rockshox is 20mm thru.

Looking for a fork that can handle a little of everything from the occasional but not serious race, to very rocky technical areas, and jumps.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't own either fork but have a Dual Air Reba Team. I will say the Dual Air will provide more mid-stroke support (less dive) than your single fill Marz. 44. I have owned my Reba for sometime and eyed the 44 but I imagined it would ride as you described. I purchased a Manitou Tower Expert and the coil /air spring is nice.

banned
    I have had both forks on my bike this year. The Marz is better in all areas except weight. No contest, my RS dives like no other fork, best thing I did was sell it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    I have had both forks on my bike this year. The Marz is better in all areas except weight. No contest, my RS dives like no other fork, best thing I did was sell it.
    Thanks, exactly the type of information I was looking for.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If the revelation dive, especially a dual air one then you have not set up your fork properly. By playing with the negative chamber, the floodgate and the compression you should avoid diving very easily.

But a 44 Ti works great too, but I guess the problem is that you have reduced the travel to 120mm. For example Revelation have 150mm of travel, the travel could be reduced to 140, 135 or 130 but this fork perform at its best between 140 and 150mm, from 130mm you may face the diving issue you're trying to get rid off.

I guess it's the same thing with the 44Ti, the hydraulics of both forks are not designed to work properly with 120mm of travel. That's why you should consider the Reba Dual Air with its native 120mm .

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by euskafreez View Post
    If the revelation dive, especially a dual air one then you have not set up your fork properly. By playing with the negative chamber, the floodgate and the compression you should avoid diving very easily.

But a 44 Ti works great too, but I guess the problem is that you have reduced the travel to 120mm. For example Revelation have 150mm of travel, the travel could be reduced to 140, 135 or 130 but this fork perform at its best between 140 and 150mm, from 130mm you may face the diving issue you're trying to get rid off.

I guess it's the same thing with the 44Ti, the hydraulics of both forks are not designed to work properly with 120mm of travel. That's why you should consider the Reba Dual Air with its native 120mm .
    I have tuned the RS every which way possible. If it does not dive, it does not get full travel. And if you find the sweet spot it does not stay there for but a ride. Several times it has tricked me, Way too much maintenance to be adjusting a fork on every single ride.

Have been riding and tuning forks since the 80's, the Marz works perfect at 120mm, best fork IMO on the market for 120mm or greater.

Pick a wheel size...
    I've got a Rev RCT3 but in 140mm travel, dual position. Not sure if it's due to the available travel or not but I have none of the issues that you're having. Full travel, can't say *zero* brake dive but it's so minimal that it's unnoticeable...however, I am fiddling around with it wanting a slightly more supple feel on small bumps. I've yet to find that sweet spot.

I know, not much help on this debate but I'd thought I'd throw my experience out there....