mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Marz 2010 55 tst2 oil change + slick honey= stickshon? Please help!

Hi all.
    I had a slow air leak on my 2010 marz 55 tst2 air fork. Figured a little dirt had worked its way into the seal.

So I pulled it apart, cleaned the seals, and did an oil change with the appropriate oil and volume, per the Mars site. 7.5 weight finish line oil with 50 and 180 cc if I recall.

I lubed the seal and bushing area with slick honey. Didn't completely load it up, just a good finger full.

Now I have terrible stickshon at the beginning of the travel. So much that I got thrown otb last night when I hit a rock at slow speed.

I've used slick honey on fox rear shocks with success, but is there something marz likes better? I also have some prep m grease. Should I really pack it in there? Or go light?

Other than the stiction, the fork feels and performs fine.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Finish Line oils are sticky in my experience.

Under the contact pressure of the seals they tend to disperse and leave an un-lubricated seal to metal contact. I've no experience with Marz forks but this is common to all designs.

Do you know the exact oil Marz specify, based on kinematic viscosity measured in centistokes (cSt) at 40˚ celcius? The oil you need must closely match this and then you need to get lucky with a slippery oil. Manufacturer's claims don't seem to count for much. Look up Peter Verdone's wiki for fluid details and go with a real manufacturer rather than a cycle industry repackager (Finish Line).

Peter Verdone

From that site:

Marzocchi Oil- Marzocchi Bomber Factory Fork Oil comes stock in all bomber forks. It is synthetic and is labeled as being 7.5wt. While this oil can be ordered in the US, Marzocchi is basically repackaging Golden Spectro Cartridge Fork Fluid (125/150, Very Light). This oil is rated at 26.1 cSt@40C/5.25 cSt@100C/VI 150. A very similar oil to this is Maxima Racing Fork Fluid (125/150, 7wt). It would be preferred to run a mix of Red Line Synthetic Fork Oil of 37% Red Line (Light, Yellow) & 63% Red Line (Medium, Red). In the past I have found Marzocchi forks to work far better with a thicker oil in them.
    NOTE:
    1. my own experience is hit or miss. I've had different viscosity oils from the same series by the same manufacturer be wildly different in stickiness.
    2. The viscosity requirement is key. 7.5wt means nothing because the SAE specification is too lax in its designation. cSt@40˚is a close approximation (if your fork runs at 40˚). Chances are you'll be lower than 40˚ under many circumstances so the actual running viscosity will not be the 40˚ figure. So all in all, it is a bit of a guessing game.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Marz take Golden Spectro 7.5.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hi Peter, thanks for the detailed explanation. I don't know the cst marz recommends, just 7.5 wt based on the fluids section of the website. I have some 5 wt belray on hand too, but that sounds like it may be going in the wrong direction. Ill shoot an email off to Marz service and see if I can get a read on the actual oil they recommend. After sitting all night, I just tried to compress the fork and the first push down took ALOT of pressure to get past the first movement. Once overcome, it loosens up. I assume because of oil lubrication. However, I thought the slick honey grease at the seals would prevent a dry seal situation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks Scott. Ill try to get some.

Grease or no grease under the seals?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jay80424 View Post
    Hi Peter, thanks for the detailed explanation. I don't know the cst marz recommends, just 7.5 wt based on the fluids section of the website. I have some 5 wt belray on hand too, but that sounds like it may be going in the wrong direction. Ill shoot an email off to Marz service and see if I can get a read on the actual oil they recommend. After sitting all night, I just tried to compress the fork and the first push down took ALOT of pressure to get past the first movement. Once overcome, it loosens up. I assume because of oil lubrication. However, I thought the slick honey grease at the seals would prevent a dry seal situation.
    Golden Spectro Cartridge Fork Fluid (125/150, Very Light). This oil is rated at 26.1 cSt@40C/5.25 cSt@100C/VI 150
    ...as per Peter Verdone and Scotth72.

The dry seals are the piston seals (not the dust seals)... o-rings, quad-rings whatever is used. i.e. deeply internal. These run tight contact pressures because they are pushing the damping forces through the orifices and shim stacks. Those tight contact pressures result in tight, dry seal-to-metal contact and big breakaway forces especially after overnight or longer intervals.

As far as I can tell, 90% of the shock/fork oils on the market cause stickiness problems and all of them claim to do the opposite. Finish Line have just repackaged someone else's oil and then they say it isn't sticky and is the best stuff "used by professionals". They are fairly typical in having a retail offering in a market segment and making non-specific qualitative claims as to its performance. Suspension oils are "non-foaming". Lube oils are "film-forming". Film formation implies considerable likelihood for foaming (a film surrounding air pockets). All products claim to optimise these two opposing requirements.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Picked up Spectro golden 7.5wt today, per marz service dept. Will rebuild and see what happens.

Thanks a lot guys!