mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Marathon LR or Tora TK?

I'm getting very close to making a decision regarding purchasing a suspension fork for my HT. I have decided to buy locally, and try to keep the cost down below $300.00 Cdn. So far, I've narrowed it down to a RS Tora TK (X-firm coil spring, 100 mm travel) or a Marzocchi Marathon LR (air spring, 100 mm travel). There prices are almost identical, and within the budget I have set.

The fork with will be going on my 2005 HT MTB, which I use primarily for commuting and running errands, some light freeriding, as well as some trail riding. I'm a heavier rider (~220lbs as of today). The bike will see riding in all seasons (including some cold winter days).

My questions are as follows:

1) will the Marzocchi air spring be able to handle the cold weather (say down to -20 C)?

2) the RS has that blow-off feature built into their lock out. As far as I know, the Marz doesn't. Will that mess up the fork if I hit too big a bump while it is locked out?

3) which one is more reliable over the long haul?

4) which one is easier to service?

Which one would you recommend? I'm keeping my purchase local, and won't be buying a used fork. Manitous are out of my price range, and I don't want too flashy/expensive a fork anyhoo.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a white brothers fluid for $220 shipped off ebay, new. They were around 800 new.

If you insist on buying local and new, you're going to get a much much lower quality fork, but thats ultimately your call... I wouldnt want to ride a tora TK or a marathon! The RS fork is going to be pretty reliable as its pretty simple with not much to it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I remember seeing your posting about that. Have you ridden it yet? How is it working out so far?

While it looks like a great fork, it has too much travel, and a 20 mm axle means I need to get a new wheel. I do see your point about quality of fork for the same money buying locally versus on the internet.
    Last edited by bikedreamer; 03-02-2013 at 03:23 PM.

eff
    mtbr member

Re: Marathon LR or Tora TK?

Have you considered a Manitou Minute? I just put one on my bike and I'm very impressed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Have you considered a Manitou Minute? I just put one on my bike and I'm very impressed.
    If I am going to buy locally, it's very unlikely that I will be able to get one in my budget.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    People are selling fox vanillas for about 200 used here. Missing out on a lot by using new... Then there are suntour epicons which are popular budget air forks hovering at 200 new.

I used to ride with a couple of people with Epicons before my recent injury and one of them did a lot of urban riding on it - stairs, drop to flats, and trail riding - rock gardens, small jumps, etc. He used the XC fork as an AM fork and it has lasted quite some time. Only downside I can see is that the fork did not have low speed compression adjusters so to prevent brake dive/soften big hits, he had to pump the pressure higher.

I would go for an air fork over a coil fork for the easy ability to adjust sag. A coil sprung fork may or may not work for you, depending on your weight an the spring rate of the coil.

As with brakes, I think cold weather performance on the viscosity properties of the oil in the damper. But I live in a hot and humid place, so what do I know, lol!
    Last edited by Jag Brah; 03-29-2013 at 08:34 AM.