mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Manitou Tower pro - OK - This may be a dumb question but...

On a Manitou Tower Pro, when doing a spring swap, how come no one tries to replace it by going from the top of the fork? I haven't tried it, so I don't know the answer, but it would seen easier, based on the exploded diagram in the service manual.

From looking at it, it seems all you would need to do is pull the damper out, then the rod/spring.... replace, reassemble...

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iCollector View Post
    On a Manitou Tower Pro, when doing a spring swap, how come no one tries to replace it by going from the top of the fork? I haven't tried it, so I don't know the answer, but it would seen easier, based on the exploded diagram in the service manual.

From looking at it, it seems all you would need to do is pull the damper out, then the rod/spring.... replace, reassemble...

Any thoughts?
    I don't remember if the spring is larger than the air piston step in the stanchion. I did remove the air cap and compressed the fork and the air piston shot out of the fork across the shop floor. When I went to reinstall the piston it only installed a few inches before it began to create pressure in the lowers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You can't. There's a shelf on the inside of the stanchion that keeps the spring & driver rod assembly from coming out the top. The air piston comes out the from the top, everything else has to come out from the bottom.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks. I figured there must be something there.

Started the job the the the 'right way' today, and hit a snag... Am bummed.

human dehumidifier
    I'm thinking about buying a Tower Pro and will have to do a spring swap - what is your snag?
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    See this... Some days just suck!

Don't get me wrong - I still think its a fantastic fork - I just got unlucky! Basically removing the compression rod bolt.

human dehumidifier
    Thanks for the link. Seems like I've seen that same problem posted before in the clydesdale tuning thread found in the 29er parts forum. IIRC there were some tips there so it might be worthwhile for you to scan that thread if you haven't already.

I'd hate to run into that because I've got impact guns and I'm not shy about using them - and with my luck it'd just spin the whole shaft anyway and I'd lose any hope of ever getting it apart.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well - that is my next step - try an impact gun. Still waitin' to hear back from Manitou though....

human dehumidifier
    If you go that route, set the impact to low torque and cut the air pressure down, then work your way up. Better to barely get it to work than to spin it at high speed and make the chips fly. I remember once ripping a keen-sert out of a head by getting all happy with an impact while removing an intake manifold.

Did you already try the approach in other threads of putting some air back in it, and compressing the fork some using a ratchet strap?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I haven't tried the air and compression yet... Then again, I tried so many iterations trying to loosen that bolt, that I may indeed have done that!

Since I don't have an impact wrench, I will have to go to an auto service shop, my LBS doesn't have one.