mtbr member

Manitou Swinger 4-way - SPV air volume/bottoming resistance settings question?

Hello,

I have a 2005 Manitou Swinger 4-way Air which has the SPV air volume adjust. My question is how do you adjust the air volume for the least amount of bottoming resistance if you don't have Manitou's special SPV Volume Adjust tool? I am using a 16mm wrench to adjust the bottoming resistance but the problem I am running into is you turn it counter clockwise for less bottoming resistance but if you turn it to far the whole SPV nut/valve assembly comes off and all of the air leaks out. Anybody have any tips for adjusting this thing to it's lowest bottoming resistance without loosing air? The manual says "The SWINGER shock’s volume adjuster has just over 5 turns of adjustment range." Is each turn 360 degrees or is it more like a quarter turn? I tried rotating it clockwise until it stops but I don't seem to have enough clearance with my wrench to screw it all the way in. A socket would work better but it looks like you would need a really skinny one which I am not sure I could find locally.

I may just end up buying the SPV No-Tools Air Volume adjuster but it is $40 plus shipping and it just kind of burns me that Manitou would sell a product like this which has no reliable way to adjust it without buying their overpriced tools I mean the damn thing should have came with the No-Tools adjust thingy from the factory you bastards! Ok, had to vent, feeling better now....

TNC
    noMAD man
    Grind a cheap 16mm socket to be able to get to that nut...works great. I'd bet your shock is old enough that the o-ring in that adjustable SPV/bottomout nut has gotten dry and needs lubing to turn freely. Go ahead and remove that nut...clean the threads and o-ring...lube the o-ring with Judy Butter, Slick Honey, or Prep-M and reinstall it. This should let the chamber adjusting nut turn freely without loosening the main nut. This make sense? Removing the main nut doesn't cause you to lose oil or anything, as you'd have to do the same thing to install the new tool-free adjuster. The tool-free adjuster is pretty nice, but not absoulutely required. It's a great on-the-fly option, though. BTW, all new Manitou shocks come with the tool-free adjuster from what I've seen. Dude...your shock is an '05...LOL! Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    FYI, the shock came on a new old stock frame so the shock only has a few months of use but I will try cleaning/lubing the o-ring to see if it helps. I didn't realize that the chamber adjusting nut is supposed to rotate independently of the main assembly because the only nut I can see is the 16mm volume adjuster? So if it is lubed properly I should be able to back the volume adjuster nut out all of the way without the whole assembly coming out? Any suggestions on what I could use to grind a standard 16mm socket to fit? Thanks again for your help!

TNC
    noMAD man
    Your shock should have some flats...like a nut...on the piggyback chamber body cap. Then the chamber volume nut is the 16mm nut on the inside of this piggyback body cap that rotates within the chamber cap. Now...you may have an older version 4-Way that has smooth edges on the chamber cap. The 16mm adjuster isn't supposed to back completely out of the piggyback and chamber cap...it bottoms out. It's the piggyback body cap that comes off of the piggyback, and that's what you'd remove to install the tool-free adjuster.

Use a bench grinder to "skinny up" the socket...see pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    The only flats I see on mine are the 16mm ones that you turn to adjust the air volume. Last night I simply used a 16mm wrench and rotated it counter clockwise until the whole assembly unscrewed. Once the whole assembly came out I didn't see anyway to rotate the 16mm volume adjust nut without rotating the entire assembly unless it is just really stuck. The o-ring looked clean and not too dry but I cleaned and lubed it just in case. Since I can't screw the assembly all the way in due to nut/assembly body clearance issues with my wrench and then back it out I have no idea how far I can back it out before the SPV chamber will leak air. I guess I will try to find a 16mm socket so I will at least be able to screw it all the way in but I still don't understand the manual where it says "The SWINGER shock’s volume adjuster has just over 5 turns of adjustment range." Is each turn 360 degrees or is it more like a quarter turn?

Here is a link to the manual which shows a picture of the SPV assembly on page 4:

http://www.manitoumtb.com/manuals/05shockman_eng.pdf

Thanks!

TNC
    noMAD man
    Yep, you have an older 4-Way. You can see the two threaded portions at the end of the piggyback, right? Get some very tough rubber with some vice grips to hold the outer piggyback end cap, and then gently work the inner 16mm nut in and out a bit...or use a bench vise with some soft rubber jaws installed. You gotta have some tools and some technique applied here so that you don't jack up the piggyback end cap. Don't use any excessive force. Perhaps you can squeeze some Tri-Flow or such into the threads...just don't use anything caustic that might damage the o-ring. I don't know how many turns are available. The only rule I've ever used is the fact the volume adjuster bottoms out going in or out, so you use some common sense in how hard you turn it to find those two extremes. I'll be gone the next 3 days, but I'd like to know how you fare in this.

mtbr member
    Thank you so much for your help I have some rubber tiped vice grips I will try. I guess if I mangle it trying to free the 16mm nut I could just by the SPV No-Tools thingy which I assume you screw in it's place? I bet I have the volume adjust stuck and it's full in position which is why the rear has been feeling so firm especially with small bumps.

Bite Me.
    Just swap it for the no-tools version. It's only about $30, and then you can tweak the BO whenever you want. That's what I did. I have an extra one that hasn't even been installed if you're interested PM me, I'll let it go for my cost. It's a nice upgrade.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells