mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Manitou Stance Kingpin leaking soft need help

I have a 05 stance kingpin and its a pos i need help i hope some of you guys have some experience in this Ive heard i can rebuilt it and it is a good fork it leaks on one side and bottoms out alot im about 245lbs geared up give me some direction heavier oil springs more air. please guys any help would be great

mtbr member
    I have one of these too. It will work fine with a few tweaks. First you have to fix the air chamber so you don't blow the wiper seals up to the crown when you fill the fork with air. I posted directions for the fix in the reviews section for this fork. While you are at it put in a set of enduro wipers and dust seals as the stock ones will not last long. Then just add air until you get the proper sag. You can adjust the damper with shims and changing the oil weight, but that is about it. It is not very adjustable, but very plush once you get the bugs out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ok now how do i do all that lol ?I've never tore down a fork I'm sure with some direction i could do it I have some mech. backround if you wouldnt mind man i may pick your brain for some how to and could you help me out on ordering seals ect.... like where sizes that kinda stuff if youd prefer my email is peckcd@gmail.com I would really appreciate to help

mtbr member
    Here is my post:

Here is the deal folks. Everything I have read about this fork is well deserved. It is useless is it is delivered from the factory. I also blew the wiper seals off the air assist side while setting the fork up the first time. The fix is easy and cheap though. First of all, don't go to your local bike shop unless it is run by true bike nuts. Mine is run by salesmen. Download the service menual from manitou's web sight. It will show you the inner workings of the fork and also provide you with the proper volumes for the semi bath, damper, and so on. Now unscrew the bolts on the crown for the spring/air assist and take the bolt off the bottom of that leg. Pull the spring stantion out ofo the lower casting. Now unscrew the bottom cap that holds the stantion leg into the lower casting. When you remove the rod you will see the offensive part. The o-ring that forms the seal for the air assist is too small, letting the the air blow by, fill the lower leg,and blow the wiper seal off. Go to the local auto parts store and find a thicker o-ring with the same inner diameter. Mine cost a whopping 79 cents. Now put it back together and beat the ever living sh** out of this fork for giving you so much trouble. After three months of running 80 pounds of pressure and repeated drops to flat I have not lost even one pound of air. No more problems period. If you are up to about 15 min of work I would recommend this fork to anyone on a budget. It can be had for a couple hundred bucks and works great once repaired. For all those of you that are stuck with a useless piece of junk give this a try to get something you can use. If you have any trouble drop me an email and I will try to help. bjj4202000@yahoo.com

That will get you started with fixing the air assist leak.
    Email these dudes with your fork info and tell them you are looking for the wiper seals:
    info@endurobearings.com
    They have the best seals out there and they let you order direct and they are cheaper than the OEM ones. There are a couple of different sets for the kingpin i believe so they may ask for the serial number.
    After all of that is done we can talk dampers!
    I think I have some pics but I am not sure if they are on my current hard drive or if they were on the old one (don't ask ) I'll look when I get home and send them to you if I can find them.