mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Manitou Stance Kingpin Air 170mm...fix?

Okay, please don't just respond with bashes about the forks. I've searched, but everything comes back with leaking seals, and flex. Are there any fixes, can anything be done to correct the problems, and make it a respectable fork? I know I could go buy an 888, but I'd like to see what can be done with this fork first.
    A few responses mention changing o-rings, others mention removing the air and replacing with a spring. What is the best way to make something of this fork? No "garbage" type replies please. Also, as far as o-rings go, ,most common are round, but some are squared, and there are also different materials that hold up better with oils.
    I'm asking because I have an opportunity to buy a bike with this fork for a REAL good deal. I don't want to spend the money on a new fork right away.

Sincere, helpful responses would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by ColoradoDoug; 01-18-2007 at 08:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I forgot to add that it is an '05.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDoug
    Okay, please don't just respond with bashes about the forks. I've searched, but everything comes back with leaking seals, and flex. Are there any fixes, can anything be done to correct the problems, and make it a respectable fork? I know I could go buy an 888, but I'd like to see what can be done with this fork first.
    A few responses mention changing o-rings, others mention removing the air and replacing with a spring. What is the best way to make something of this fork? No "garbage" type replies please. Also, as far as o-rings go, ,most common are round, but some are squared, and there are also different materials that hold up better with oils.
    I'm asking because I have an opportunity to buy a bike with this fork for a REAL good deal. I don't want to spend the money on a new fork right away.

Sincere, helpful responses would be appreciated.

Thanks
    It's a perfectly fine fork. Not all Kingpins had the air spring problems. If you buy the bike and you have a problem, Manitou will resolve the issue right away. Won't cost much either, if anything, and you can do the work yourself. Most shops can perform the required work if you're not comfortable. I say go for it! Lots of guys have ridden the crap out of the Kingpins and not had a problem.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    doesn't the '05 kingpin come with TPC or TPC+, that's real good stuff...maybe if the fork is run semi-bath, then the seal or seals won't be trying to hold so much pressure and stay put
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

MattSavage
    TPC+, and I think it is semi-bath.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....