mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well Manitou SPV Swinger air shock

Just got a new SPV air shock from Ebay, put it on my bike and while testing the shcok movement, the lower valve stem, (the one at the lower end of shock, male part) rubbed againstthe shock link and cracked it. It looks like it will be a pain to try to replace as it looks like it is pushed from the inside???
    For those of you who don't know this shock, it is not the one with the reservoir, rather it loks like a regular air shcok, but not only does it have a air valve on top, ( along with a blue damping knob), but a valve on the bottom that suposedly is another way to adjust the ride. The shock seems useless now, as I cannot put air in the lower chamber, just the top, which makes the bike ride like a spring board.
    My question is: Any thoughts on how to repair this? Where can I get that part? If I brought to a dealer to send out, does anyone know approx. how much this could cost? I paid $160 for the shock. It is NOS, perhaps a couple years old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Singletrack Addict!!!
    You best bet is to call Manitou and ask, I think it can be unscrewed from the outside, but I'm not sure. They have a few different valves, so you can change to one that may not interfere with the link.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The bottom valve stem on the Swinger is be removable, Ive accidently removed mine while removinig the pump, if you can remove the broken one you probably could get a replacement. Mine is a Swinger 3-way air. If its the red valve Im not sure since I dont play around with the spv pressure that much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

the black valve

Used for setting the preload scews in from the outside with a 3 mm allen key accessed after removing the valve core. It seems this valve breaks frequently. Jim