mtbr member

Manitou Slate Info

Hello everybody!

Can you please give me some info on the 2007 Manitou Slate fork.Is it good for XC?
    How good or bad is it compared to Tora 302?Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The Slate should be....

on about the same level quality and feature wise as the Tora 318. The reason you haven't gotten many replies is that the Slate is not available here in the States, it is an International fork only, i.e. only available overseas, Europe etc. The Slate is basically an entry level or "economy" fork with many of the features of the higher end models, TPC lockout damping, 100mm fixed travel or 130mm RTWD. Lubrication is provided by grease only, no oil bath, steel 30mm stanchions, aluminum steerer tube, coil spring only. Pretty much an entry level fork.

The Tora 318 in along the same lines, an entry level fork with many of the higher end features. Things like motion control damping lockout, etc., steel stanchions and steerer, air sprung, but it does use an oil bath for lubrication rather than just grease. Also the stanchions are beefier, 32mm diameter, so in theory it should be stiffer.

Both forks should be quite suitable for XC with the Tora being suited to venturing into Trail and light All Mountain riding. If weight is concern then the Slate would be the winner there at 4.6lbs, 2kg. The Tora tips the scales at 4.9lbs, 2.2kg.

Anyway, both should be good forks and at approximately the same level of quality and value. But I'll probably never really get to compare the two side by side as the Slate isn't availalble on this side of the Atlantic.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, but I will go with Tora because I ve heard many good things about that fork, while the Slate is new,and there is not much info about it.
    Thanks for the raplay

Dorkimus Prime

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    it is an International fork only, i.e. only available overseas, Europe etc.
    But I'll probably never really get to compare the two side by side as the Slate isn't availalble on this side of the Atlantic.

Int'l would include Canada AND we are on your side of the Atlantic. Come on up we'll test ride the shite out of one...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I picked up a Jamis Durango 2.0 about a month ago and it has the Slate fork on it. So far I haven't had any issues with it. It has a nice feel to it. Seems pretty stiff. The reverse arch makes it stand out from the rest of the forks out there. It's a little on the heavy side but on a $1000 bike you won't be getting very light forks anyhow. The plus on this fork is the rebound and preload adjustment + lockout. They have a better feel than the Marzoochi MZ on the Rocky Fusion. They are adjustable so they don't rebound so fast.