mtbr member
    May 2007

manitou slate comp or rockshox J2?

i am looking for a 100mm lockable fork, it will be used both for touring (locked) and for XC riding.

im not sure if i should go for a 2007 trek 6500 or 2006 Scott reflex 20, and my main concern is the fork.

help me decide:
    manitou slate comp or rockshox J2?

Trek 6500 Disc
    I have the trek 6500 disc and i am surprised on how good the fork handles on xc use on rough trails.
    On the road the lock out is amazing. My first lock out shock and i will never go back to a shock with out lock out.
    I'am yet to bottom out the slate(weighing 140 pounds) but my 270 pound friend has bottomed it out and he said it took alot of force and the travel on the fork is awsome(100mm)

I havent ridden the scott personally but i would go with the trek 6500 because i know it hasnt given me any problems and is a sturdy bike
    Don't Blame the Equipment*
    Don't hit Ctrl+W....

Portland, OR
    The slate is okay, but not great. same goes for the j2. comparing just the two, I think the slate is better. they ride a little better and are a tiny bit more controlled feeling. For what you want, both forks will be fine, j series is a little more flexy than the manitou, but it shouldent be a problem for XC riding. Both companies have great CS. but in the future, even though both forks are okay, you might still want to upgrade because the truth really is, they're both low end forks.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    May 2007
    how tall are you and what frame size?