mtbr member

Manitou Minute Three (w/ IT) or Fox TALAS?

Hi guys;

Looking to upgrade my fork. Options are Fox Talas 130 or Manitou Minute 3.

The reviews place them at the same level. I'm looking for actual advice, experience.

Oh, a good factor to consider. Pricepoint has a smokin' deal on Minutes... $324.

Plase let me know your thoughts.

Happy riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by zamolxe
    Hi guys;

The reviews place them at the same level. I'm looking for actual advice, experience.

Oh, a good factor to consider. Pricepoint has a smokin' deal on Minutes... $324.

Happy riding.
    Depends on if you are really wanting stable platform or not. The TALAS (stock at least) doesn't have it, the Manitou does. To me the Manitou is a more long-travel XCish fork, where the TALAS is kind of a trail fork.

I'm not a fan of the Minute series, but I haven't ridden the latest year model either. I bought a TALAS and love it, but its also been PUSHed so consider that. The TALAS is probably gonna cost you almost twice what you can get a Minute 3 for, which is steep.

Personally, I'd probably look at the Rock Shox lineup if I wanted a less expensive alternative to a TALAS.

mtbr member

Push.

Can you elaborate on "push"?

I'm 220 and ride hard. Wouldn't consider myself quite the "XC guy".
    More like a trail rider.

thanks for the input.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    pushindustries.com and do a search for push in this forum

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I think the Minute is good but my Pushed Vanilla kicks it to the curb

Hi guys;

Happy riding.

No comparison between the two forks. The Pushed Vanilla is much better. The stock Talas is a little squishy at mid stroke but still a great fork. I dug it when I rode it....

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Have you considered adding the Reba U-turn to your choices? I had the same requirements as you and ended up going with the Reba for "bang for the buck".

Mark

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Can you elaborate on "push"?

I'm 220 and ride hard. Wouldn't consider myself quite the "XC guy".
    More like a trail rider.

thanks for the input.
    Like someone else said PushIndustries.com, custom suspension company. Forks/shox tend to be valved for the "average" rider, and unfortunately you and I are above average. PUSH custom tunes the fork/shock for your weight, style and bike.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Hi,

I have a 2005 minute 2, and have ridden fox talas and Vanilla RC. I have to say fox offerings are plusher and construction detail is better, but the minute feels more stable at cornering and high speeds, I think fox are a tad stiffer, but the minute inspires me more confidence at high speeds anyway. To make a detailed and fair comparison both forks should be tested on the same bike I ride. I ride aggressive and the volume control on the SPV is really helpfull in preventing bottom-out. At $325, is a steal compared to a Talas which is around double that (if you add PUSH, even more cash ). You give up a little plushness for control, your choice. If you want to spend more consider the 2006 minutes, they have now 32mm stanchions (like fox), which should make them even more solid, or consider a Nixon, if your bike can accomodate it. In my opinion both are good, fox has greater construction detail, but they are way overpriced. I also have a 2002 Black 120, way plush, more than 600m on it and only has required oil change and proper lube, so manitou's are reliable (thou the stickers on it sucked, everybody knows that). Have tested rock shock's Psylo line only, and I don't like em, they feel more flexy, I don't know I just don't trust em, thou the pike looks promissing. Bottom line if you have a rear stable platform shock, consider a stable plat fork, and let your riding style decide.

Ride on, ride hard!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Talas...........

I own both forks. Both are great forks- With your weight I would recommend the Talas (32mm stanctions vs 30mm). The minutes switched to the 32mm oversize stanctions this year (find 'em on ebay for a pretty good deal) - Perhaps these would provide comparable stiffness to the Talas.................