mtbr member

New question here. Manitou Minute Pro - love it but oil noise?

Built bike and after researching forks got a brand new Manitou Minute Pro 140. The fork is the bomb and its not even broken in yet. But, one thing is that when it goes up and down, especially on the upstroke it makes a lot of oil swooshing through valve noises. I don't think this is normal but have not heard other of these forks. I admit to just installing the thing box-stock. I run the right leg adjustment wide open, but then it also makes noise on the platform setting. I have not added any air to the system, the spring for me seems to have enough spring, in my feeling out rides I have not even gotten past 2/3 travel. I weigh 180 FYI. Any comments?

What?
    That oil noise is oil running past the shims. Consider it a good thing because most forks do not have shims(the main reason you dont hear the noise).

As for not running air, If you have the Pro, you need to run air pressure. The coil spring only works for the first half of the travel and then the air spring takes over. It probably came with some air pressure in it, so I would check and see what its at. If you have the Expert model, you can run it with out air with no issues.

mtbr member
    Hey appreciate answer. I have pro. will check air pressure, just pulled from box, measured and cut tube, did some test rides, then some trail riding.

The White Jeff W
    I have a Tower Pro (29er version of the same fork) and it makes the same noise. Its normal. Like you, I love mine.

I have not even gotten past 2/3 travel
    Probably too much air pressure.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Will re-read instructions and check air pressure. Understand from memory its a lot lower pressure than air only forks. I did not add any seemed pretty decent from the box. I have not been doing heavy riding, I took my daughter to a trail marked intermediate/expert but was going at a slow pace. One ? I have with new bike, I went with 20mm axle and now wondering best way to transport, I used to pull my QR wheel and shove in back of my van. Last time I did this, I removed the rear wheel as its still QR, but not really a great solution. WHen I have my yakima fullswing 4 mounted no problem, but would have same problem with the roof mount rails that use QR fork mount...hmmm...I guess the fullswing is the way to go or open bed pickup.