mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Manitou Minute Expert vs. Pro

I have the option to buy the pro for 70 bucks more. What is the difference between the two? I see that the pro is lighter and has different air suspension?

Should I spend the extra or won't I be able to tell the difference?

Former Bike Wrench
    The damping systems are identical, the spring system is different. The Expert is basically a coil spring fork that uses air to adjust the sag and give a minor amount of progressive spring rate for bottom out resistance. The Pro uses the MARS system which has a small coil spring for initial movement then goes to a full air spring for the rest of the travel.

The Pro also gains butted alloy stanchions (vs straitwall for the comp) and an alloy steerer (the comp may have steel or alloy).

Personally I'd only spend the extra $$ if weight was a concern.

What?
    What mtnbiker72 said..... with the addition that all aftermarket Minute Experts also have aluminum steerer tubes. The only way it would be steel is if it came stock on your bike(which is not the case.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    The Pro also gains butted alloy stanchions (vs straitwall for the comp)
    This is a point that interests me: what's the difference between butted and strait wall?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Straight wall mean, straight like a pipe, same metal width along the tube.

Tapered means, metal was taken away on parts it wasnt important and reinforced the areas with high stress. Which saves weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Based on the advice of mtnbiker72, I will be going with the Expert because I am on the upper weight limit of most shocks. Manitou offers a few different spring options for light, or heavy riders.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda
    Based on the advice of mtnbiker72, I will be going with the Expert because I am on the upper weight limit of most shocks. Manitou offers a few different spring options for light, or heavy riders.
    I think he meant weight of the fork as a concern, not weight of the rider, when making purchasing decisions. Unless you weigh over 300lbs. you'll probably be fine for either fork. they're both have equally tuneable spring rates and have coils for riders of various weights. The only significant difference between the two is construction and materials. Both are equally suited to any rider, unless you want a lighter weight fork.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    I think he meant weight of the fork as a concern, not weight of the rider, when making purchasing decisions. Unless you weigh over 300lbs. you'll probably be fine for either fork. they're both have equally tuneable spring rates and have coils for riders of various weights. The only significant difference between the two is construction and materials. Both are equally suited to any rider, unless you want a lighter weight fork.
    Yes...weight of fork, not rider