mtbr member

Manitou minute expert?

I'm not to sure what happened, but I just got done with my build and got it back from tuning the other day. Before this I took it to be tuned i did take it out two times and the fork felt great. Had that plush feel that everyone talked about. Loved it now today when i was about to take my bike out with the family something was not right. Once i got on the shock started squeaking and the plush feel was gone. I really don't want to start pulling it apart just yet. I'm just a bit lost one how it was fine yesterday and now it not working correctly.

Manitou minute expert issue - YouTube
    Last edited by iRide4fun; 05-03-2013 at 07:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iRide4fun View Post
    I'm not to sure what happened, but I just got done with my build and got it back from tuning the other day. Before this I took it to be tuned i did take it out two times and the fork felt great. Had that plush feel that everyone talked about. Loved it now today when i was about to take my bike out with the family something was not right. Once i got on the shock started squeaking and the plush feel was gone. I really don't want to start pulling it apart just yet. I'm just a bit lost one how it was fine yesterday and now it not working correctly.

Manitou minute expert issue - YouTube
    Did you tune the fork or someone else? New or used fork? Try speeding up the rebound. If it is still "sticky & noisy" drop the lowers and make sure it has semi-bath oil.

mtbr member
    No the fork is new and it wasn't tuned when I took it in nor have I done anything to it. This is all new to me my past forks I just wipe down and slap some grease on. I'm not even sure what oil I need for this form yet. But I'll give the rebound a try and see what happens thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mine also makes the squish noise on rebound. Manitou Tech told me the noise is "normal".
    What is your air pressure?
    Where is its rebound and compression dials set?

mtbr member
    Well that is good to hear. I did end up checking the oil and it was fine. Adjusted the rebound to the max and it was not as noisy. Right now my rebound and compression are both set to there max. Tomorrow I will try and dial them in a bit and sag. The two runs that I did I had it at whatever it was from factory. My air pressure I'm really not to sure I did release some today so it may be around 20-30. The gauge on my pump does not show much on the lower pressures.

Another quick question do I only need oil on the right side of the fork? And i have read that using full synthetic motor oil is fine according to manitou? Or do both sides need it one using semi bath and the other fork oil/ motor oil? The service manual i have does not answer this for me.

What?
    Both sides(in the lowers) need the oil. Synthetic 5w-30 is what I use in all my forks. I use 18ml per side. The rebound noise is normal. Its the sound of the oil being pushed through the ports on the rebound piston. The more you close the rebound port(slow the rebound), the louder it will get, that is normal.