mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Manitou minute expert?

I just ordered this fork, it should be here today. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for getting it setup. I ride mostly flat single track, some more technical trails with short, but steep climbs and drops, lots of roots, but not a lot of jumping or sheer drops. In other words both wheels stay on the ground for the most part. I weigh 250lbs. I know they have the firm ride springs available, but I have not had any luck finding those online. It's a 26" and I'm still running v-brakes as well. I'm thinking I will set up the sag, and then ride it as is, and go from there. Just curious what the experts say about setup on this fork. Also assuming I end up changing the spring how much of a job is that? Thanks for any advice.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XCScott View Post
    I weigh 250lbs. I know they have the firm ride springs available, but I have not had any luck finding those online.
    The ride kits can be found online if you know where to look.

Hotlines is a Manitou Distributor
    Chain Reaction Cycles is a Manitou Retailer

Hotlines & Chain Reaction Cycles both use the same Model ID & Stock ID for the same products.
    Hotlines lists the Manufacturers Part Number/Code for the products but Chain Reaction Cycles doesn't.

80/100mm Ride Kits.
    http://www.hotlines-uk.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44523
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44523

130mm Ride Kits.
    http://www.hotlines-uk.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44525
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/models.aspx?modelid=44525

* These ride kits are listed for the Drake, but they have the same Part Number/Code as the ride kits for the Minute. The 2012 Service Manual has an exploded diagram for the fork with a parts list and their part numbers.

2012 Service Manual: http://www.manitoumtb.com/assets/Service%20Manuals/2012%20Service%20Manual.pdf

The following two threads might be of some use.
    Manitou Ride Kit
    Manitou Minute Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just ordered this fork, it should be here today. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for getting it setup. I ride mostly flat single track, some more technical trails with short, but steep climbs and drops, lots of roots, but not a lot of jumping or sheer drops. In other words both wheels stay on the ground for the most part. I weigh 250lbs. I know they have the firm ride springs available, but I have not had any luck finding those online. It's a 26" and I'm still running v-brakes as well. I'm thinking I will set up the sag, and then ride it as is, and go from there. Just curious what the experts say about setup on this fork. Also assuming I end up changing the spring how much of a job is that? Thanks for any advice.
    You will need the x-firm ride kit. LBS can get you a ride kit. Unbolt top cap and drop in.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    You will need the x-firm ride kit. LBS can get you a ride kit. Unbolt top cap and drop in.
    This. You can find the part numbers in the manuals on Manitou's site. Take them to a local shop and order it. Its a very simple install.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Great info in those threads guys! Much appreciated. I got it yesterday, and got it installed. It feels fairly stiff as is, but i assume that once its broken in it will loosen up. Im a little worried about the handling of the bike i went with a 100mm travel instead of the 80mm that it has. I got a shorter stem, I guess i'll have to ride it a few times and see how it feels. I know this can be changed, but the service manual indicates that the casting needs to come off, then you have to mess with the oil etc. I'm hoping to avoid that if at all possible at least until the first service.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great info in those threads guys! Much appreciated. I got it yesterday, and got it installed. It feels fairly stiff as is, but i assume that once its broken in it will loosen up. Im a little worried about the handling of the bike i went with a 100mm travel instead of the 80mm that it has. I got a shorter stem, I guess i'll have to ride it a few times and see how it feels. I know this can be changed, but the service manual indicates that the casting needs to come off, then you have to mess with the oil etc. I'm hoping to avoid that if at all possible at least until the first service.
    I just got the same fork (130mm version) and just removed the spring top cap (after letting out the air) and the spring comes out, no oil drain/refill required.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Good to know. I took it for a test ride, and it seems to work really well. I think the 100mm of travel is going to be fine. I didn't have any steering issues with the shorter stem. I have the preload almost maxed out, and it seemed pretty good, I used a max of 70mm of travel on my test ride and that was hitting some large palmetto roots, and a few minor jumps. This thing just eats up rough terrain. Will an occasional bottoming out of the fork damage it in any way? If not I am going to run it as is and wait to replace the spring. Thanks for the info and advice guys!

GKW
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What type of grease for the replacement spring? Anything special?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Ride Kit

I went from the spongey spring included with the Minute Expert to the stiff ride kit and it makes a world of difference. (I weigh about 220 lbs.) I got the replacement spring through Shockspital: 888-871-2711, one of the links on the Manitou website for support. As far as I know, any light grease applied to the replacement spring should work fine. The spring is really easy to replace. It is basically just a matter of removing the cap on the fork, pulling out the old spring and popping in the new one.

mtbr member
    Ditto, I did the replacement to the firm spring in my Minute Expert 130mm, I have found that I can stick with the recommended 50 lbs max pressure that Manitou recommends with my 240lb frame without bottoming out. I did talk with them about pressures above 50lbs and they said I should be fine (told them I was using 70lbs).