mtbr member

manitou minute 29er, reduce travel?

I've my Minute 29er fork apart for maintenance. While I have it in pieces, is there a way to reduce the travel from 120mm to 100mm? I am not finding any information on this, but would be nice if it were possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I believe only their ACT forks and coil forks have internally adjustable travel. MARS (Older minutes) are SOL

mtbr member
    For some reason I thought you could do it. The MARS system uses a spring or small rubber bumper for top-out control. If you make this bigger it will reduce travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Well, if it's anything like the 2011+ pro level forks, the official word from manitou was you can't.

I assume he's got a 2010, where Minute 29ers = Modern Tower Pro

Here is the 2010 service manual: http://www.manitoumtb.com/assets/Ser...e%20Manual.pdf

mtbr member
    I am guessing a 2010 model. I believe I bought the thing in 2010. I bought it used. There's no indication of year on the fork, but so far the 2010 service instructions are matching up with what I am finding inside of the fork.

the official word from manitou was you can't.
    I am willing to consider a hack.

I haven't disassembled the compression side yet. When I do, perhaps there will be some obvious place in which to drop one of the leftover, Rock Shox spacers that I have laying around.

On the spring side, there is this blue plastic connecting rod that sits between the metal spring and the air piston. I am tempted to just lop 20mm off that rod, which should bring the spring in closer, which should reduce travel by the same amount. That's an irreversible change though, and I'm not quite ready to take that drastic a step.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Well they sell those blue rods for pretty cheap, calling them "ride kits." Bunches of them on ebay.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I think if you cut the blue rod it's going to increase the volume of the air piston giving you crappier bottom out resistance but better small bump.

Edit: In other words the blue rod limits the volume of the air spring, changing it's length will adjust its progressiveness, but will not have an impact on total fork travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah, the more that I look at it, I think you'd have to shorten the compression rod, part 1 in the exploded diagram from the service manual.

mtbr member
    Just to close out this thread, here is a link a thread from awhile back that helped me sort out the travel reduction:

08 Manitou Minute travel reduction

So I'm at 100mm now. Everything seems to work when I hand cycle the fork here in the basement. Later this week I'll try and make some test runs on the bike.