mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Smile Manitou Metel RP modifcation anyone?

I have a Giant Faith with a stock Manitou Metel RP. The biggy back has no air port to add air into air chamber. From what I have gathered, the shock comes form fractory with N2 charge pre installed and can not be manualy adusted. I plan on drilling, taping and installing a strader valve so I can use my shock pump to adjust the air pressure. I dont know if I am wasting my time or will this help in fine tuning the shock? If anyone has tried this, I would like to know the outcome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm in the same boat so to say, having a Faith with Metel. When i took it to LBS for a rebuild, i asked them to change the oil for 2,5 wt, and to pump less air into it (80 psi i think). So far it seems to work much better than before, much less compression damping. We'll see how well it'll work in a longer term .

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    guys,have you read this one?

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/adding-piggyback-metel-r-shim-tunning-possible-299699.html#post3081633

i have a similar issue...

eltazar, what model is your metel?

how have they pumped the pressure into it? did you see the procedure? was it by attaching a schrader (spv) valve?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Mine says RP on the sticker, but there's only rebound adjust. Stock on '06 Faith. I didn't see how they did it, but the guy said something about needle....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    yeah, thatīs what warp (thread moderator) told me.

when you ride it hard, please tell us how is it working...

good rides!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have been looking at FOX shocks similar to the Metel RP and they have a shrader valve on the end of the piggy back. The shrader valve that is on the back is to adjust the pedal platform to prevent bobbing and increase pedaling efficiency. Also the other shocks that do have a shrader have an additional nut/bolt that the shrader is attached to that can be turned in or out to increase and decrease the volume (not pressure) of air in the piggy back. I know that decreasing and increasing the volume of air will change the progressiveness of the shocks last few inches of travel before bottoming out, but the Metel RP does not have this adjustment and the pressure would be the only variable that could be set. I dont know if the air pressure really makes a big difference with moderate FR but may make a big dif on flat landings. Im calling Manitou this week to get mor info. I still cant get rid of the "SQUEEK" when the he shock rebounds. I still think it is either fluid or air passing through a orfis in the shock. I have worked hydraulics and pneumatics on air craft for 5 years and the sound is familiar to me.