Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Manitou Mattoc

mtbr member

Manitou Mattoc

Who's gett'n one, got one and who's ridden one? Whats your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Want one, but I don't think you'll find anybody whose ridden one yet, as it will be the end of this month (at least) before they are available. The only review/preview I've seen so far is from a German MTB site.
    Looks like a really good fork and some of the guys here who absolutely love their Manitou forks have basically convinced me to give them a go.
    The biggest issue was with Manitou revealing it so long ago and then.... nothing for at least 4 months. Kind of a weird way to do business, given the fact that the opposition (RS with the Pike, X-Fusion etc) have been going great guns in the intervening period.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Do you have any idea how long it took the X-fusion Sweep to actually become available?
    I am curious toothe Mattoc and Sweep both look nice. Pike prices aren't dropping any time soon.

mtbr member
    That's the other thing that is very tempting about the Mattoc, even the top Pro model is priced very competitively to the Pike. The only issue I think we'll have in NZ though is that I got my LBS to ring the local distributors of Manitou to see exactly how much they would cost, only to be told "we are going out of Manitou". Means I will have to likely go through CRC to get one.

mtbr member
    I figured it was a little early for any type of feedback, it'll come soon enough.

I run Avalanche products both ends and can't see any reason to move anywhere else, except in the Manitou direction. The only thing that might hold me back is the fact of Avy's mid valve. That type of setup is amazing for preventing brake dive. I've had a crack at riding a 29er setup with a current Pike and a Wilson setup with last years 888. Now taking into consideration that I think both forks could have been better tuned and the lack of time I had on both bikes, I still felt uncomfortable when time came to drop the anchor's. Especially on the 29er, I felt like I was going to endo that thing. It felt like the brake dive was using up half of the available travel. I just shook my head.

Which begs the question, which part of TPC+ four dimensional damper would help with brake dive? I think it either boils down to the pressure or velocity dependent circuits. I'd love to learn more.

I see on Manitou's site they now are calling for a spring time release. I thought their time frame from when they released to their original December goal seemed pretty normal. And even late March seems okay.

Big Test Icycles

Manitou Mattoc

The Mattoc has been available at Pricepoint for a while now. I really thought about it but ended up with a Sweep. I'm still interested in a review when they start appearing

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Mani...-Fork-2014.axd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime View Post
    The Mattoc has been available at Pricepoint for a while now. I really thought about it but ended up with a Sweep. I'm still interested in a review when they start appearing

Manitou Mattoc Pro 160mm Tapered QR15 27.5 Fork 2014 | Manitou | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
    No it's not. If you go to the checkout it says "backordered". Same with every other online retailer. It is not available yet.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sigh.....

Ive been extremely happy with my Dorado on my DH bike the last couple years, and unhappy with a Fox 36 and Lyrik RC2DH on my AM bike.

So, Dorado tech in a 160 AM fork is exactly what the Dr ordered for me, but......just how long will it be?!

mtbr member
    Even if it is another couple of months, I'm still willing to wait.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    got a link to that german review?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenseMack10 View Post
    Sigh.....

Ive been extremely happy with my Dorado on my DH bike the last couple years, and unhappy with a Fox 36 and Lyrik RC2DH on my AM bike.

So, Dorado tech in a 160 AM fork is exactly what the Dr ordered for me, but......just how long will it be?!
    I mind cant let go of time the Dorardo, Revox and I had together. Happy day's which had never been quite the same..

mtbr member
    Looks like we might be close to actually seeing the Mattoc - Dig In ? Production Versions of the Manitou Mattoc Trail Suspension Forks are Here

It's looking good, that's for sure. Main change from the pre-production models looks to be the design of the knob/dials. The axle system looks kind of neat too.

Now just hope it lives up to it's hype.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have one since yesterday :-)
    well made.removing the axle takes 4 sec.everything about the fork's performance will be revealed the next weekend.tomorrow I'll change the travel to 170mm make pictures of the internals and load them up on the above mentioned thread.really cannot wait to mount it! :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Looks like we might be close to actually seeing the Mattoc - Dig In ? Production Versions of the Manitou Mattoc Trail Suspension Forks are Here

It's looking good, that's for sure. Main change from the pre-production models looks to be the design of the knob/dials. The axle system looks kind of neat too.

Now just hope it lives up to it's hype.
    Looking good! I can't wait to hear the ride reports. I love my Nixon but would love to switch to a Mattoc!
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bansaiman View Post
    well made.removing the axle takes 4 sec.everything about the fork's performance will be revealed the next weekend.tomorrow I'll change the travel to 170mm make pictures of the internals and load them up on the above mentioned thread.really cannot wait to mount it! :-)
    You're making me jealous! Can't wait for your review.

Biggest issue I'm going to have is that the NZ distributor of Manitou is no longer going to be getting Manitou forks, so my options are to wait until someone else picks them up (which could be months, if at all) or get a pair from CRC for about NZ$1000, but I'll end up having to pay about $200 import duty I'm hoping that they will be worth it.

mtbr member

Yes! Pics, pics and more pics!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Yes! Pics, pics and more pics!
    Look at this and the following pages! On the last one is mine

Der erste Eindruck zhlt: Manitou Mattoc 160 mm Federgabel [Kurzfahrbericht] | Seite 14 | MTB-News.de

mtbr member
    Do you think you can add a third spacer and shim it down to 130mm?

From the above link.
    Manitou Mattoc-manitou-travel.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip D View Post
    Do you think you can add a third spacer and shim it down to 130mm?

From the above link.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manitou Travel.jpg 
Views:	6116 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	872661
    Regarding the 27.5 fork I assume? That sound like a question for the guys at Mantiou, drop em a line. In my experience they'll get back to you pretty damn quick.

Is that some of the instructions and info that you got with the fork? Looks well detailed. What other info came with the package?

mtbr member
    It looks a lot more stout in that pic than the advertisement pic's I've seen. I'm looking forward to your thought's and pic's as well. The pressure's on mate!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Regarding the 27.5 fork I assume? That sound like a question for the guys at Mantiou, drop em a line. In my experience they'll get back to you pretty damn quick.

Is that some of the instructions and info that you got with the fork? Looks well detailed. What other info came with the package?
    Yeah, they're really good but they'll give me the book answer. I was hoping someone a lot smarter than me can look at it and say Yes. I had a bunch of questions about shim stacks on my tower pro and I ended up having an email exchange with one of their engineers who sorted me out. I thought that was pretty nice.

It's going on a Bantam and only want 130mm in the front. At 220 pounds, not interested in 32mm forks anymore.

mtbr member
    I wonder if we can get hold of more detailed drawing's... It would probably answer some questions if we could get some accurate measurements on both 26er and 27.5er spring assemblies.

Mullen if your lurk'n around, chime in mate....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You're making me jealous! Can't wait for your review.

Biggest issue I'm going to have is that the NZ distributor of Manitou is no longer going to be getting Manitou forks, so my options are to wait until someone else picks them up (which could be months, if at all) or get a pair from CRC for about NZ$1000, but I'll end up having to pay about $200 import duty I'm hoping that they will be worth it.
    I'd be interested in trying a mattoc as well[ sick of the pike hype] but in my experience manitou support in Nz is non existant. If CRC don't stock it your stuffed,In my case a simple item like a mars spring. Very little online support anywhere else.

I don't want to ambush another thread but if you want a affordable over achiever for your MV then i highly recommend
    Bicycle - 2014 Marzocchi 55 CR

The distributors were very prompt in returning emails and had a rebound knob in stock[ plastic rubbish unfortunately] As you can expect better service than Fox, But i never ever recieved a response back from rock shox so that kind of sets the stage in NZ.

I'm using one on my WR 26" set at 150mm even though it will take 650B. Huge improvement over a Rlti rev. It's 1/2 the price of my 2013 F160 and only marginally down in performance. Very very good fork. Bit hefty though if your running it as a 150mm fork.

mtbr member
    Wow, didn't realise Bicycle had them so cheap. I'd looked at Marz before, but the costs were all well over $1300, even for the 55CR. Could be worth considering if the Mattoc isn't going to have any support, as like you say, if something breaks, I could have a very expensive (although very pretty) paperweight.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I love translating tools: I keep seeing things like this:

"Horny she reflected. Got in 27.5 yesterday 2 Mattocs"

What word in german gets converted to horny!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks! I love translating tools: I keep seeing things like this:

"Horny she reflected. Got in 27.5 yesterday 2 Mattocs"

What word in german gets converted to horny!
    Geil= Horny: in a sexually sense and if you just find something very good alternatively to "cool" the mattoc works hammer, fantastic or geil ;-) or has geile Leistung= good performance

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I know that according to the manufacturer, this option does not exist but would it be possible to configurate the 27.5" model with 170 mm of travel?

mtbr member

Pro or Expert? I so excited for this fork, and so bummed it doesnt have a 20mm axle option though (I dont want to take the time to switch my wheel). I picked up a Revelation to get me through this summer since I didnt think the Mattoc would be released even close to this early in the year. Looking forward to the ride report. If it works even close to as good as it sounds, It will be the best 160mm fork on the market.

mtbr member

Manitou Mattoc

Excited about this fork so much I pre-ordered with a shop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Pro or Expert? I so excited for this fork, and so bummed it doesnt have a 20mm axle option though (I dont want to take the time to switch my wheel). I picked up a Revelation to get me through this summer since I didnt think the Mattoc would be released even close to this early in the year. Looking forward to the ride report. If it works even close to as good as it sounds, It will be the best 160mm fork on the market.

Here is the Link to the German Test of mine and other users. I tried to keep the German simple so that google translator hopefully will not make such a great mess out of it in eglish.
    The first 3 messages from me respresent the complete general data and my report that I have at hands in the moment ;-)
    To keep it simple: Please only ask questions in german or english. Not everybody speeks spanish, russian, chinese or something else ;-)

Manitou Mattoc Pro Fahrberichte und Erfahrungen | MTB-News.de

mtbr member
    Here is the Link to the German Test of mine and other users. I tried to keep the German simple so that google translator hopefully will not make such a great mess out of it in eglish.
    The first 3 messages from me respresent the complete general data and my report that I have at hands in the moment ;-)
    To keep it simple: Please only ask questions in german or english. Not everybody speeks spanish, russian, chinese or something else ;-)

Manitou Mattoc Pro Fahrberichte und Erfahrungen | MTB-News.de
    Thanks. I don't read german but appreciate your trying to help the rest of us out! From the site, it looks like this fork is a winner!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks. I don't read german but appreciate your trying to help the rest of us out! From the site, it looks like this fork is a winner!

use the google translator.I tried to keep the german simple, so that it will hopefully be translated into something that can be understood ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the review. Looks like a real player. Along with Marz new offerings, plenty of choice besides Fox or RS for 2014.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    I'd be interested in trying a mattoc as well[ sick of the pike hype] but in my experience manitou support in Nz is non existant. If CRC don't stock it your stuffed,In my case a simple item like a mars spring. Very little online support anywhere else.

I don't want to ambush another thread but if you want a affordable over achiever for your MV then i highly recommend
    Bicycle - 2014 Marzocchi 55 CR

The distributors were very prompt in returning emails and had a rebound knob in stock[ plastic rubbish unfortunately] As you can expect better service than Fox, But i never ever recieved a response back from rock shox so that kind of sets the stage in NZ.

I'm using one on my WR 26" set at 150mm even though it will take 650B. Huge improvement over a Rlti rev. It's 1/2 the price of my 2013 F160 and only marginally down in performance. Very very good fork. Bit hefty though if your running it as a 150mm fork.
    I REALLY wanted a Mattoc but couldn't wait and wasn't crazy about dropping $850. Ended up getting a 2013 Marzocchi CR on closeout. What a beastly fork. Fairly simple compared to others but well executed. And Marz will take your calls and answer all your dumb questions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Translator sucked. Care to give us a cliffs notes on the fork in english?

mtbr member
    Its horny don't you know!

Actually, I used the google translator and it worked OK. Seems like the fork is stiff as a Magura, which is a good thing. It also seems that the fork is plush with a soft feel to it. Horny good!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 92SE-R View Post
    Translator sucked. Care to give us a cliffs notes on the fork in english?
    You can summ it up, that it works like a mini Dh Fork. Really eats up large obstacles with good control. Better than the LYrik DH of one of the other users. He says in rock gardens the mattoc is much superior to the Mico DH. I was reminded of my 2012 DEville, which works like a mini DH Fork. The mattoc only needs a break-in time, to become more sensitive. BUt although it has a good management of its travel and uses it when needed, it wont bottom out. The HBO really works great and the supportive feel the fork gives you is really good, when moving on the front wheel or coming over a large rock and flying directly into the next, what could throw you off with another fork which tends to dive. In this respect I like it even more than the Deville, because with my weight of 92 Kilos even with almost closed HSC I was regularly able to bottom the french girl out.
    Every knob really actually brings a noticeable change in contrast to fox or rs. Not as much as my vengeance HLR (which is the Double barrel under the forks refferrign to the range), but you can feel it and it is that much you can sufficiently tune the fork to your riding style and track.
    It brings really good traction on the small chatter but still you can use jumps properly. The fork wont swallow every small jump, so that you still can play with the terrain.
    The weight is claimed to be around 1877 GRams. We had 3 specimen with weights of 1868, 1906 and 1908 grams. So real world weight is only varying about 30 grams to the claimed one; sometimes even a few grams lighter. Id say, this is good.
    The Mattoc is only at 55% of the DEvilles price (1139 Deville 170mm vs 616 for the mAttoc Pro-> best price which I could find at german inet shops), is lighter, stiffer (stiff as Pike what I was told from a Enduro Racer who prefers the Mattoc on his race bike), the axle is great (can remove or put it in in <4 sec), you can change travel, you can convert between 26-27.5, service everything and tune on your own, parts are available and Manitou offers reliable communication for questions and warranty issues. If you were looking for a new fork I would definetly recommend this one. I havent ridden a Pike and cant compare it. But even if was "only" the same level as the Pike, Id take the Mattoc because of all the options. And as I was not let done by the great Manitou when compared to BOS and the Vengeance HLR Id say the Mattoc passes the test.
    Love it..... its geil-> horny ...ergggh awesome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks! Man cant wait. My distributors dont have them in stock yet.

mtbr member
    Thanks mate! +1 rep coming at ya.

Some good comparisons there, I like the fact that a 92kg rider considers it a stiff fork!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks mate! +1 rep coming at ya.

Some good comparisons there, I like the fact that a 92kg rider considers it a stiff fork!

let s put it this way. I suppose it won't be as stiff as my 36 stanchioned vengeance with 20mm axle.but during testing there was no moment where I felt it wasn't precise enough to go where I wanted to.and the racer which I talked of said there was no difference to the 35mm pike ;-)

mtbr member
    let s put it this way. I suppose it won't be as stiff as my 36 stanchioned vengeance with 20mm axle.but during testing there was no moment where I felt it wasn't precise enough to go where I wanted to.and the racer which I talked of said there was no difference to the 35mm pike ;-)
    Ahh, after re-reading the review I now realize my comment is a little out of context.

FWIW, I think a fork (not referring to the Mattoc) with a little say "deflection" is not a bad thing as long as the damper is quality enough to compensate and keep the bike/rider heading in the right direction. For example, I run a Lyrik with an Avalanche cartridge, before the modification was made I felt there was a little deflection while pushing it. Once the mod was made I now feel now that the fork can be pushed harder but more importantly hold a line with without a problem.

Another question, what shock was used during the test?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Ahh, after re-reading the review I now realize my comment is a little out of context.

FWIW, I think a fork (not referring to the Mattoc) with a little say "deflection" is not a bad thing as long as the damper is quality enough to compensate and keep the bike/rider heading in the right direction. For example, I run a Lyrik with an Avalanche cartridge, before the modification was made I felt there was a little deflection while pushing it. Once the mod was made I now feel now that the fork can be pushed harder but more importantly hold a line with without a problem.

Another question, what shock was used during the test?
    a Evolver ISX 6 tuned for my bike.actually there is a vector Air waiting to be tested,but I still miss the rest of the hardware to fit it :-/

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Even if it is another couple of months, I'm still willing to wait.
    CRC has the Mattoc Pro in stock now. Get'em before they're gone!

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    CRC has the Mattoc Pro in stock now. Get'em before they're gone!
    So why is the 160mm version the only one available right now? Granted you can take it apart and adjust it but if I'm spending that kind of money I really don't want to have to take the thing apart the minute I get it. If I wanted to do that I would buy Fox.

mtbr member

Manitou Mattoc

I believe that's how they come.

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    For the record, the Mattoc is finally available, is only available aftermarket in the 160mm version (at least for 27.5), does come with a set of travel spacers to take it down to 150mm, and has not exactly the best decal application in the world.

And don't ask me for a ride report. We are at least a good month away from our trails being rideable. Stupid winter won't die.

Manitou Mattoc-mattoc.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I think Chain Reaction have had 26" and 650B 160 in stock for a couple of weeks .

mtbr member
    still listed as backordered on price point though.

"El Whatever"
    Anyone can walk me through the differences between the three levels? Pro, Expert, Comp?

I honestly can't tell the difference between the Pro and Expert, other than the Expert not using a cartridge and having the damper in leg, like the normal TPC stuff.

Other than that, they look the same, but the expert being slightly heavier. Still under 2kg.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Anyone can walk me through the differences between the three levels? Pro, Expert, Comp?

I honestly can't tell the difference between the Pro and Expert, other than the Expert not using a cartridge and having the damper in leg, like the normal TPC stuff.

Other than that, they look the same, but the expert being slightly heavier. Still under 2kg.
    You are right, the Expert is only a little heavier, but has the same features.

The Comp uses the Mars Air spring (coil and air in series), a simpler ABS+ damper, fixed hydraulic bottom-out, and less machining for more weight. It is basically a longer travel stiffer Minute.

mtbr member

Manitou Mattoc

Have any forks shown up in the states? Still look unavailable here.

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Chain Reaction Cycles will ship it to the US for free.

mtbr member

Manitou Mattoc

Quote Originally Posted by D_K View Post
    Chain Reaction Cycles will ship it to the US for free.
    I want to give my LBS a chance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by flml99 View Post
    I know that according to the manufacturer, this option does not exist but would it be possible to configurate the 27.5" model with 170 mm of travel?
    Nope. Not possible.

mtbr member
    Looks like Expert is the best choice considering the price and only weight difference

I think I'll order one tomorrow as Pike is ridiculously expensive here and nothing else is available for 650b with 34-35 uppers
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goRz View Post
    Looks like Expert is the best choice considering the price and only weight difference

I think I'll order one tomorrow as Pike is ridiculously expensive here and nothing else is available for 650b with 34-35 uppers
    I would actually prefer the Expert over the Pro. The added oil volume from the in leg damper will do a better job staying cool compared to the cartridge version.

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The Pike's can be had cheaper but you have to keep an eye out. I think once the supply chain gets filled up, the Mattoc is going to be the better bang for the buck though. I just like all of the good ol' metal parts in it (i.e. no exploding Charger Damper). But from my parking lot ride on the one I just bought, it's definitely a fork that will need a little breaking in before it shines. The adjustments all make a very definite affect on the fork's behavior though which should make dialing it in a lot easier.

The only odd thing I have found so far is that the lowers aren't the same diameter all the way down. They have a couple of bulges in them. I wonder if that is on purpose or if I got a "special" one.

mtbr member
    Is there service guide for mattoc? Should i put some oil in the lowers right from the start?
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Is there service guide for mattoc? Should i put some oil in the lowers right from the start?
    There is not full service guide yet but there are some set-up and travel modification manuals:

Support | Manitou

Checking oil-bath levels are never a bad thing, as long as you know what you are doing.

mtbr member
    Set up manual Has nothing about oil levels. Sorry. Nothing else there is useful either.
    I added oil to lowers as standard with Fox and RS cause they were bone dry... Out of factory.
    Is damping oil in the uppers separate from lubricating oil in mattoc?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Getting so close to ordering this fork. I just want one solid review to come out besides the one that shows up on bike-radar (4.5 out of 5). It looks solid, and I have had great experiences with Manitou customer service in the past.

I did get info back from Manitou, and the fork is going to be convertible from the 27.5in version down to the 26in version by simply removing the lower spacers.

I do not know if the 26in version comes with those spacers in the box, etc.

Therefor, I am ordering the 27.5in version, de-lower spacering it, and running it on my 26in bike.

Who in this thread ACTUALLY HAS the fork in hand, and what are you impressions?
    X-prezo Super-D, 26in style.

mtbr member
    Hopefully i will have mine tomorrow so I will be back with some impressions on Monday
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Where did you order from goRz?

mtbr member
    I'm from Poland so I think it's of no use to you, but: Mattoc EXPERT Manitou | Widelce, Cz??ci | Velo
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Set up manual Has nothing about oil levels. Sorry. Nothing else there is useful either.
    I added oil to lowers as standard with Fox and RS cause they were bone dry... Out of factory.
    Is damping oil in the uppers separate from lubricating oil in mattoc?
    Did it come with a manual? I would call Manitou to get the amount needed for the bath oil. Yes, the oil used for the damper is separate.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Why is Chain Reaction Cycles so expensive for this part? I feel like they usually have great deals, just not today.

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have the Pro version mounted up to my Bronson. It comes with no useful documentation and 2 travel spacers to take it down to 150mm and 140mm. Check out their instructions on doing the travel adjustment for how to take the fork apart and how much oil it needs. It does require some special tools or the modification of some tools.

I haven't been able to do much more than ride mine around around my driveway right now. We will be lucky if our trails are open by the end of this month.

*EDIT* The bike radar review is crap btw. They complain about its weight when its only 16 grams heavier than the Pike. They also whine that the tuning is subtle and hard to do which is pure BS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D_K View Post

*EDIT* The bike radar review is crap btw. They complain about its weight when its only 16 grams heavier than the Pike. They also whine that the tuning is subtle and hard to do which is pure BS.
    Bike Radar's "reviews" are usually next to useless the majority of the time. Minimal testing done on what's being reviewed, ratings that don't match the reviews..... so, all in all, pretty much not the most reliable site for basing your next purchase on.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    If you take the lower spacer out you just might have a pile of junk on your hands.
    Look at #19 post in this thread, see the different lengths of the HBO damper (top of the rebound assembly), removing the spacer will damage the damping on this fork by bottoming out the HBO. This is why they say in the travel adjust service manual DO NOT REMOVE this spacer for the 27.5 fork.
    26" & 27.5" forks differ in the crown offset. If you want 26" version then get the 26" version.
    Don't modify this fork, damage it, then complain that there warranty sucks.
    (I can see into the future on this one)
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey View Post
    Getting so close to ordering this fork. I just want one solid review to come out besides the one that shows up on bike-radar (4.5 out of 5). It looks solid, and I have had great experiences with Manitou customer service in the past.

I did get info back from Manitou, and the fork is going to be convertible from the 27.5in version down to the 26in version by simply removing the lower spacers.

I do not know if the 26in version comes with those spacers in the box, etc.

Therefor, I am ordering the 27.5in version, de-lower spacering it, and running it on my 26in bike.

Who in this thread ACTUALLY HAS the fork in hand, and what are you impressions?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm convinced Bike Radar copy-pastes every single one of their Manitou "reviews". All of them say something like "with its narrow stance and sloped crown the fork is flexy and twists more than its competitors", and this is on everything from an R7 to the Mattoc. Which is complete BS. I've ridden all those forks except the Mattoc and every one of them is at least as stiff as anything else in its class.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by material guy View Post
    If you take the lower spacer out you just might have a pile of junk on your hands.
    Look at #19 post in this thread, see the different lengths of the HBO damper (top of the rebound assembly), removing the spacer will damage the damping on this fork by bottoming out the HBO. This is why they say in the travel adjust service manual DO NOT REMOVE this spacer for the 27.5 fork.
    26" & 27.5" forks differ in the crown offset. If you want 26" version then get the 26" version.

How do you have this information? I think I can see the fine print you are reading on post #19. I did email Manitou directly, but now I need to get more information because it seems like you are correct.

I will get back in contact with Manitou and let everyone know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    From Manitou support directly:

Changing the plunger is required to change wheel sizes. The plungers come in the box (except for the early launch forks, they are available for free though by contacting us.) So if you buy a 26 fork it can be converted to 27.5 or vice versa without purchasing any extra parts. Part will eiher be in the box or you can get them from us.

One thing you do have to remember though is 27.5 forks have a 44mm offset at the crown, 26in forks have 41mm offset. That will not change when converting obviously, more just something to be mindful of.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    From Manitou support directly:

Changing the plunger is required to change wheel sizes. The plungers come in the box (except for the early launch forks, they are available for free though by contacting us.) So if you buy a 26 fork it can be converted to 27.5 or vice versa without purchasing any extra parts. Part will eiher be in the box or you can get them from us.

One thing you do have to remember though is 27.5 forks have a 44mm offset at the crown, 26in forks have 41mm offset. That will not change when converting obviously, more just something to be mindful of.
    Now, in my mind I cannot see 3mm of offset difference really mattering as far as my overall geometry goes. Anyone have any thoughts there?

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    I tend to do research on items that cost this much so as not to be disappointed when I plop down my hard earned money.
    I just wonder if Manitou was exactly sure on which spacer that you were meaning when you emailed them?
    I have a pro version on order with my LBS. Waiting like most or all North Americans.
    How do you have this information? I think I can see the fine print you are reading on post #19. I did email Manitou directly, but now I need to get more information because it seems like you are correct.

I will get back in contact with Manitou and let everyone know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I tend to do research on items that cost this much so as not to be disappointed when I plop down my hard earned money.
    I just wonder if Manitou was exactly sure on which spacer that you were meaning when you emailed them?
    I have a pro version on order with my LBS. Waiting like most or all North Americans.
    Based on the above response I posted from Manitou, I am highly confident this fork will convert from 26in to 27.5in, and will include all parts to do so. Read above.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm convinced Bike Radar copy-pastes every single one of their Manitou "reviews". All of them say something like "with its narrow stance and sloped crown the fork is flexy and twists more than its competitors", and this is on everything from an R7 to the Mattoc. Which is complete BS. I've ridden all those forks except the Mattoc and every one of them is at least as stiff as anything else in its class.
    So have I except the mattoc and they are flexy ESPECIALLY!!!!!!!!!! the R7. So are the Fox 32's and they also mention that in their reviews. As always take any review as compromised. I used to laugh when they all raved about the Rev RLTi???????
    Unfortuantely spending some time on a fork yourself[ not just a quick ride] is the only way to tell.

I like the reverse arch concept . It works really well on my Dt Swiss forks but their arch is massive compared to the Manitou version.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    In post #62 you mentioned only removing the lower spacer, not replacing the entire plunger.
    Replacing the plunger changes the entire game.

Thanks for the update though.
    Based on the above response I posted from Manitou, I am highly confident this fork will convert from 26in to 27.5in, and will include all parts to do so. Read above.

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    So have I except the mattoc and they are flexy ESPECIALLY!!!!!!!!!! the R7. So are the Fox 32's and they also mention that in their reviews. As always take any review as compromised. I used to laugh when they all raved about the Rev RLTi???????
    LOL, I swear that every fork on the market gets the same two reviews:

Reviewer 1
    -Opinion A - The fork is a pig.
    -Opinion B - The fork is uber stiff.
    -Opinion C - The fork's settings don't do crap.
    -Opinion D - The fork's tuning is good.

Reviewer 2
    -Opinion A - The fork is really light.
    -Opinion B - The fork is a noodle.
    -Opinion C - The fork's settings work well.
    -Opinion D - The fork's tuning sucks.

mtbr member
    Unfortuantely spending some time on a fork yourself[ not just a quick ride] is the only way to tell.

I like the reverse arch concept . It works really well on my Dt Swiss forks but their arch is massive compared to the Manitou version.

I am 200 lbs and have ridden both Manitou Black, Manitou Nixon and Fox 32mm and Fox 36mm forks. For the most part, I found the Manitou 30mm fork to be as stiff as the Fox 32 mm fork (with QR). The Nixon with a 20mm axle was similar to the Fox 36mm fork.

mtbr member
    So I've installed my Mattoc Expert and went on first ride today. Locally we have hills rather than mountains and no real rocks.
    Anyway, My current summary is: fork is stiff, doesn't dive. Ride is stable and inspires confidence. It's not super plush but I might be running too much air and I Don't mind.
    BUT the only knob that made real difference is rebound knob

I also have problem with Scale in Manitou materials. E.g. According to set up guide Slow compression can be set from 0 to 4, where weirdly 0 means max compression!. However on the dial, there is normal + and - sign. Now, does + refer to amount of damping or to numbers from set up guide?? In later case +would actually mean less damping.
    I'm confused. Anybody knows how this works?
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The +/- signs on the dial mean more or less damping, respectively, same as every other fork. What the tuning guide does is count clicks from the fully closed position, in other words, spin the dial to the + side as far as it goes, then back it off the number of clicks that's recommended in the guide.

For example, to do the Flow Trail tune on your Expert, spin all dials to the + side all the way, then back off rebound by 1-3 clicks, high speed compression by 1-2 clicks, low speed compression by 0-2 clicks, and HBO gets backed out all the way and added in as needed.

mtbr member
    Thanks, although this would do just fine
    The +/- signs on the dial mean more or less damping, respectively, same as every other fork.
    Anyway I assumed it's like that, so I still kinda think that compression knobs dont make much difference...
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member

Manitou Mattoc

Looks like pinkbike is going to have a review soon. Check out their Facebook page.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I am 200 lbs and have ridden both Manitou Black, Manitou Nixon and Fox 32mm and Fox 36mm forks. For the most part, I found the Manitou 30mm fork to be as stiff as the Fox 32 mm fork (with QR). The Nixon with a 20mm axle was similar to the Fox 36mm fork.
    I admire your Brand loyalty.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The Nixon with a 20mm axle was similar to the Fox 36mm fork.
    Fore aft rigidity?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Fore aft rigidity?
    Fore/aft rigidity is mostly about the steerer and crown. Stanchion size is a small player as 2x32mm tubes are a whole lot stiffer than one 28.6mm tube.

Unfortunately I haven't ridden a F36 on the same trail as a Nixon to compare directly.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Anyone hear anything yet about an actual US release date?
    2014 Canfield Jedi - 2015 Canfield Balance - 2012 Canfield DJ

mtbr member
    I'm shocked it's available earlier in Poland than in US
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    I admire your Brand loyalty.
    What brand loyalty?

mtbr member
    I'm shocked it's available earlier in Poland than in US
    Me too. I'm hoping that they are timing it with this weekends Sea Otter Classic...fingers crossed.
    2014 Canfield Jedi - 2015 Canfield Balance - 2012 Canfield DJ

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    this is not completely correct!
    The mattoc is made to be converted between travel and wheel sizes!But you need to change the part only the rebound assembly where the hbo is put on..
    It is a part which was to Come with every mattoc but it only will when they finally catch Up with the orders.if it was Not added to your package,write manitou tech support and you will get it as soon as available.then you can convert it to the other size ;-))

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Got a Mattoc 650b 160 last week, to replace my Pike. Feel great. Steering feels touch different (offset) and I think the Pikes are marginally stiffer. Very plush off the top, grip is great and damping can be set up easily. The air leg is very smooth, almost coil like. I would be interested in some volume reducers for the air leg.

mtbr member
    You've replaced the new Pike with it?!
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Got pikes on slash, had creaking steerer and air leg troubles. Got replacement on warranty. I've had bad luck with RS for a while now. So trying something new

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caol View Post
    Got pikes on slash, had creaking steerer and air leg troubles. Got replacement on warranty. I've had bad luck with RS for a while now. So trying something new
    What's your opinion on compression knobs effect?
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Only had one real ride so far. LS is affective and noticable, but much more suble comparee to fox or RS. HS not sure about yet. Running 2 clicks from open. HBO has dramatic effect

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So is it plusher than pike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caol View Post
    Got a Mattoc 650b 160 last week, to replace my Pike. Feel great. Steering feels touch different (offset) and I think the Pikes are marginally stiffer. Very plush off the top, grip is great and damping can be set up easily. The air leg is very smooth, almost coil like. I would be interested in some volume reducers for the air leg.
    I'm interested in your comment about volume reducers. I've spent the last week first riding an air-spring Dorado, then my re-tuned coil sprung TPC+ nixon and finally being sidelined with a broken helmet and black eye.

But anyway. Were you wanting more progression in the spring to hold up the mid-stroke better or to be able to run softer start of stroke for the same end of stroke?
    I was wondering if it was more damper tuning that you needed rather than spring.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Fore/aft rigidity is mostly about the steerer and crown. Stanchion size is a small player as 2x32mm tubes are a whole lot stiffer than one 28.6mm tube.
    No kidding, and what do 36mm stanchions require? A bigger crown.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast