mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Manitou Marvel vs. Rockshox 30 Gold?

Ok so I own a 2014 Giant Talon 4 27.5 and absolutely love it. My dilemma is that I am looking to upgrade the low end stock Suntour XCT coil fork for an air fork. From what i have read reading other forums my bike has a straight 1 1/8 steerer tube. After looking at many different forks i have narrowed it down to basically 2 choices.

The Rockshox 30 Gold TK Solo Air
    RockShox 30 Gold TK Solo Air Forks - 9mmQR 2016 | Chain Reaction Cycles
    https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/30-gold-tk

Or the Manitou Marvel Comp
    Manitou Marvel Comp Forks - 9mmQR 2016 | Chain Reaction Cycles
    https://www.manitoumtb.com/products/forks/marvel/

I live in East TN so the trails are mainly rocky/rooty singletrack with moderate climbs and downhills. I want a fork that will grow with my skills and last a long time. I'm leaning towards the Manitou because of the wide range of preload and dampening adjustment however I am not sure if I really need that. I'm not looking to spend more than $400 but i just want a second opinion on these two forks. Has anyone ridden them or know anything about them? Thanks in advance for the help.

mtbr member
    The rs 30 is a major turd, and the marvel is excellent, maybe top of its class. Its so much better its really not fair to compare them.

Get the marvel, its no contest on this one. Like comparing a nice steak dinner to eating something out of a dumpster.

mtbr member
    Unless you really like dumpster food that is! Like One Pivot says though, it really is no contest between those two forks.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Just to clarify, the RS 30 is a well made quality bike part. It just doesnt work great by design. its not unreliable or anything.

A lot of entry level bikes come with RS 30's on them. If yours did, dont sweat it. It wont break or fail or anything, its perfectly safe to own and ride and will hold up to real mountain bike trails.

If you get serious into the sport, the fork will quickly become a pretty clear bottleneck! It'll pack down and be harsh, or wallowy. It has very basic damping that easily gets overwhelmed. Its not failing per-se, its just not designed to really push the thing.

The marvel has the very, very good ABS+ damper. It'll hold up to whatever you throw at it. If you dont like a certain characteristic of it, you can change that characteristic pretty easily (see the ABS+ tuning thread!). You could fairly compare the manitou damper to anyones damper in the industry and it'll hold its own.

Not to crap all over the RS 30 too much, but these two are just in different leagues. Its like comparing an 8 speed alivio shifter from 2001 to a new 11 speed XTR shifter. They both work, but its not really comparable.

mtbr member
    The marvel wins between those two. It has much better... well, everything.

The XC30 gold is a good fork for what it is, but there's a whole lot of what it's not. It's 30mm stanchions, which are smaller and flexy. It has a basic rebound with orifice plate holes. The TK is basically a hydraulic lock for a non-adjustable compression damping, while must better shocks are adjustable compression damping.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

RAKC
    Guys the marvel comp isnt the marvel we all know. It's TS instead of ISO air system and TPC not ABS+ damper.

That said, it's still well above xc30tk forks. Marvel will serve you longer and better than the cheap level rockshox XC series forks will.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Clarification, the XC30 gold is comparable to the recon gold, just smaller stanchions. I'd still rather have the manitou though.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Guys the marvel comp isnt the marvel we all know. It's TS instead of ISO air system and TPC not ABS+ damper.

That said, it's still well above xc30tk forks. Marvel will serve you longer and better than the cheap level rockshox XC series forks will.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Just to be clear, Tpc(twin piston chamber) is abs+.

Also, Ts air is nearly identical to iso air. The only difference is how the air piston and compression rod meet (iso has a rubber insulator) and a slight difference in top out bumper (coil in ts vs foam in iso).

Performance wise, they are pretty much identical, comp just weighs a bit more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I was leaning towards the Manitou but I just wanted to get a second opinion on it and any extra advice. I will be ordering the Manitou very soon!