mtbr member

New question here. Manitou Marvel Pro- No lock-out or rebound

So, i'm familiar with servicing my Rockshox Reba, Recon, and Sid. Now, i decided to service my Marvel Pro (MY'12).

I measured 10cc of oil and put it into the damper leg. Cycled it about 5-10 times then filled it to the recommended oil height (108mm from top of oil to top of threads). Reinstalled everything. Now, the rebound settings have zero effect and it won't lock-out at all. Not even stiffen up. Something is wrong.

Is it possible i didn't cycle it enough and when i topped off the damper side its now actually too low on oil? Is it possible that i measured wrong and its actually overfilled?

No more than 500mi on the fork and it was working perfect before. What would cause the lock-out and rebound to no longer work after a service? Any suggestions are appriciated. I'm going to recheck the oil level tonight if i have time. I really hope its just an oil level issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well, let's get the obvious taken care of first. The Marvel Pro is a cartridge damper design, did you pour the oil into the cartridge or into the stanchion?
    When you open up the damper side from the top, there's a tube within a tube. The oil goes into the smaller tube in the middle.

Assuming you put the oil into the right tube, then chances are you didn't fill it to the correct height. Check the oil level again, cycle a few times, add more, then repeat as needed until you get to the correct oil height. Also ensure you're reading the right oil height for the fork travel/model you own.

That takes care of the easy stuff, after that, things get harder to diagnose over the 'net.

mtbr member
    The manual states to fill to 105-110 (108 nominal) with the Absolute damper removed. I removed the damper and the cartridge tube then filled the stanchion. I think maybe the cartridge tube was supposed to stay in the leg when i filled it? Is the oil height measured in the cartridge tube or the entire stanchion? Is only the cartridge tube supposed to be filled to the specified height with no oil between the cartridge tube and the stanchion wall?

Name:  ABS removed.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  19.4 KB

Originally, the cartridge tube pulled out with the ABS damper. Because of this, i just figured it was considered as one unit. It did seem odd that it took so much oil to fill the entire stanchion, but, this system seems much different than the RS's i've serviced. I just figured that was part of what made it supple.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well, that solves that problem. The oil goes in the cartridge tube only. You'll have to open up the fork, drain out all the oil from the stanchion, and do some surgery. In short, download the service manual and follow the procedure on pages 19, 20, and 22. Then fill the inner cartridge tube only, there should be nothing but air between the cartridge tube and the stanchion.

mtbr member
    I didn't notice that picture until i had this issue and paid close attention to what the manual stated. Again, since the tube came out with the ABS damper initially, i thought it wasn't supposed to stay in. Good to know. Much better feeling now than when i first felt like i bricked my fork.

Thanks aerius!

mtbr member
    Just to confirm... Fully functional again. And i needed waaaayyyy less oil than i thought. lol. Thnx again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Glad you got it all fixed!