Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,445

    Manitou Marvel Pro or Expert users, STEP INSIDE!

    I cannot find any worthwhile reviews on this fork. I'm looking at the '13 Pro or Expert with 15QR.

    I'm most interested in hearing from people who have come from newer SID, REBA, or Fox F100 forks to try the new Marvel.

    And also i'd like to hear peoples opinion on if it's worth spending more to get the Pro. It looks like only a slight difference in weight and the rebound damping technology - Cartridge TPC (Pro) vs. Adjustable Detented TPC (Expert)

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: two-one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    485
    I'm pretty sure that the rebound&compression dampers function the same, but the Pro's are contained within a smaller cartridge to conserve weight. So in the end you are looking at only some weight-differences, but functionally identical

    I would actually love to get my hands on the newly announced 29er version. Should have the linear kind of air spring like a Fox, but with tunable shim stacks, and simple reliable construction, so DIY servicing and tuning will be a piece of cake.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,277
    I was unable to find reviews, either, but I found the fork on sale bigtime at Chain Reaction Cycles a few weeks ago and I bought one for a new build, my wife's first MTB.

    It's a 2012 Julianna / Superlight. It was going to get whatever fork I could get for less than $400. I very easily convinced myself that the Marvel Pro was way, way better than a Recon or open bath Float 32.

    Unfortunately, as I posted in another thread here on MTBR, I can't provide riding feedback because there is no way in hell I can ride her bike at speed. It's about 3 sizes too small to contemplate it.

    I can tell you that if my own Float 32 120 RLC vanished today, I'd probably throw a Marvel on my bike. I suspect this fork has been a total sales flop, but even still, I have no idea why CRC is hundreds under everyone else. It's a steal of a deal.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    207
    Just a quick FYI. Proicepoint has a sale going on right now for suspension items. OP might want to check this out:

    Suspension Blowout | Discounted Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes and Cycling Gear at PricePoint.com

  5. #5
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,445
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I suspect this fork has been a total sales flop, but even still, I have no idea why CRC is hundreds under everyone else. It's a steal of a deal.

    Still wondering where the reviews are for this fork. It's not getting any exposure. I get tired of reading about the same brands over and over.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Still wondering where the reviews are for this fork. It's not getting any exposure. I get tired of reading about the same brands over and over.
    It doesn't encourage loyalty when the big volume sellers have bouts of manufacturing defects. I've had many dirtbikes, both mx and enduro. I've NEVER had a fork or shock fail prematurely. It just doesn't happen. But there have been some amazingly bad, widespread issues with MTB suspension.

    I really like the Manitou Tower Expert I put on my FIL's bike. (It's big enough for me to ride, LOL.) So I figured between that experience and the paper stats of the Marvel, I'd take a swing. People have done crazier things.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    703
    Personally, this fork makes no sense to me. They basically took their Minute fork, gave it an 80mm option and switched the spring/air assist to a air only setup. Saving a whole 68 grams from the Minute. Finally, they gave it QR/15mm axle options and "limited" the Minute to QR/20mm axle options.

    The only reason people even look at this fork is because they're not putting 15mm axle options on the Minute. Which forces you to the Marvel. Maybe they should put QR/15/20mm options on the Minute, dump the Marvel and put out an AM 140-160mm fork that they've been missing for the past 5 years.

    =]

  8. #8
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,217
    I dont know anyone with a Marvel, but those pricepoint deals are great! I wish I needed a fork!

  9. #9
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    Personally, this fork makes no sense to me. They basically took their Minute fork, gave it an 80mm option and switched the spring/air assist to a air only setup. Saving a whole 68 grams from the Minute. Finally, they gave it QR/15mm axle options and "limited" the Minute to QR/20mm axle options.

    The only reason people even look at this fork is because they're not putting 15mm axle options on the Minute. Which forces you to the Marvel. Maybe they should put QR/15/20mm options on the Minute, dump the Marvel and put out an AM 140-160mm fork that they've been missing for the past 5 years.

    =]
    The Marvel also has a different damper tune then the Minute. What they really need to do is remove the R7 from the line up and make the Marvel there only XC fork and keep the Minutes as more of an AM fork. Make a 160-170mm enduro fork and they have a complete line up.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    The Marvel also has a different damper tune then the Minute. What they really need to do is remove the R7 from the line up and make the Marvel there only XC fork and keep the Minutes as more of an AM fork. Make a 160-170mm enduro fork and they have a complete line up.
    Yes. This seems to be the point of the Marvel, that they will not have shorter travel Minutes any longer.

  11. #11
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,445
    Ordered the Marvel Expert on CRC with coupon code GBP15 for $226.56

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,277
    Did you get your fork on the trail yet?

    Also... have you been able to find a MILO remote that is compatible with the ISO damper? All of them appear to be ABS+. I have not yet sent an email to Hayes/Manitou asking about it.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: two-one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    DAlso... have you been able to find a MILO remote that is compatible with the ISO damper? All of them appear to be ABS+. I have not yet sent an email to Hayes/Manitou asking about it.
    There is no ISO damper: the spring is called the ISO-air spring, but the damper is still the same old awesome ABS+ damper.

  14. #14
    rebmem rbtm
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,056
    ISO is a air spring that's in the left leg, it isn't a damper.

    From the specs I've seen all of the Marvel models have the Absolute+ damper which is in the right leg,

    All Absolute+ dampers are MILO compatible.

    http://www.manitoumtb.com/technology/
    http://www.manitoumtb.com/products/forks/marvel/

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,277
    SWEET!

    Ok... so are all the MILO ABS+ remotes the same? I found it a little disconcerting that Chain Reaction Cycles has you pick which fork you have. If I clicked 'Minute' that would surely be fine for the Marvel, right?

    (Obviously, I bear responsibility for ordering something. I'm just curious what you all think. )

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,368

    Manitou Marvel Pro or Expert users, STEP INSIDE!

    Marvel pro gets rid of the negative coil spring for a self adjusting air negative. As I have reported, it is a great fork with far better dampening than a Fox.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

  17. #17
    rebmem rbtm
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    SWEET!

    Ok... so are all the MILO ABS+ remotes the same? I found it a little disconcerting that Chain Reaction Cycles has you pick which fork you have. If I clicked 'Minute' that would surely be fine for the Marvel, right?

    (Obviously, I bear responsibility for ordering something. I'm just curious what you all think. )
    You should only need to buy a lockout kit, this kit will fit all ABS+ dampers.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Manitou/Manitou-MILO-Remote-Lock-Out-Kit.axd
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/manitou-milo-remote-assembly-kit-2012/rp-prod57817

    You shouldn't need to but a lockout kit with the ABS+ damper if your fork already has a ABS+ damper.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/manitou-milo-remote-lockout-abs-damper-2012/rp-prod57816
    http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Manitou/Manitou-MILO-Remote-Lockout-ABS.axd

    You'll only get to choose a fork model if you buy the MILO with the ABS+ damper, this is because the ABS+ dampers will be different in the different fork models.
    Last edited by cobba; 08-09-2013 at 07:01 PM.

  18. #18
    rebmem rbtm
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,056
    If you've bought the ABS+ damper with the MILO remote kit for the Minute then you can use the MILO remote on your Marvel Pro but you can't use the Minute ABS+ damper in your Marvel Pro.

    The ABS+ damper in the Marvel Pro is different to the ABS+ damper in the Minute forks.

    Look at the exploded diagrams and part numbers for the ABS+ dampers for the Marvel Pro and Minutes in the service manual, you'll see the different shapes and different part numbers for the ABS+ dampers in the different forks.

    http://www.manitoumtb.com/assets/Service%20Manuals/2012%20Service%20Manual.pdf

  19. #19
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    If you've bought the ABS+ damper with the MILO remote kit for the Minute then you can use the MILO remote on your Marvel Pro but you can't use the Minute ABS+ damper in your Marvel Pro.

    The ABS+ damper in the Marvel Pro is different to the ABS+ damper in the Minute forks.

    Look at the exploded diagrams and part numbers for the ABS+ dampers for the Marvel Pro and Minutes in the service manual, you'll see the different shapes and different part numbers for the ABS+ dampers in the different forks.

    http://www.manitoumtb.com/assets/Service%20Manuals/2012%20Service%20Manual.pdf
    The difference is that the Marvel Pro is a cartridge damper and the Minutes are in leg dampers. The higher end forks use the cartridge to save a few grams.

  20. #20
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,445
    I got the Expert since CRC had a killer deal. I'm waiting on my custom Ti frame to come to put it on. The knobs feel much higher quality then Fox. I had loose knobs on my Fox fork after a year and now they don't function at all.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    180
    so, anyone care to follow-up with a ride report?
    -Carlos

    Flux

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    43
    What I've been trying to figure out is if the offset on the minute or marvel will affect the handling of G2 geometry bikes? I see all manufactures have 51mm offset any input is great.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,277
    It will steer a bit slower with less offset. For many XC type bikes this is not a bad thing unless you spend all your time <10 mph in the trees.

  24. #24
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,445
    Quote Originally Posted by los36 View Post
    so, anyone care to follow-up with a ride report?

    I should have a ride report later in the month once I finish my build.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    I should have a ride report later in the month once I finish my build.

    I'd love to hear a bit about it as well. I'm in the process of building a Felt 9 with XX1, and from the sounds of it, the Manitou Marvel should be a great fork for a lighter rider such as myself (150 lbs). I have read that larger riders have a hard time setting them up though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Manitou Marvel Pro Weight
    By Cary in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-19-2014, 11:09 AM
  2. Anyone riding a Manitou Marvel Expert fork
    By Frozenspokes in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 03:57 AM
  3. Fox 32 Float CTD 29 vs. Manitou Marvel TS Air 29
    By DeniDoman in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2013, 01:47 PM
  4. HELP: Manitou Marvel Pro vs RS SID WC
    By kobayashi in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2012, 07:36 AM
  5. Manitou Marvel...
    By CSC in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 08:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •