Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Manitou - I have to ask...

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  cobba 
#1 ·
I've been noticing Manitou disappearing from websites I shop at, Universal, etc. I then got an email Manitou was at PricePoint. Now I see on the Manitou website that it says "Manitou available online in the US exclusively at PricePoint". While I don't have any significant challenges with PricePoint, it scares me that I can only buy Manitou there. IMHO, PricePoint was not know to stock dampers, springs, etc. Anyone else feel the same?

#3 ·
Keen,
I think you may be missing my point, Jenson also has some 2012 models and CR is outside the US. On Manitou's website it says PP is the "Exclusive supplier" in the US. Just like Sette, only available at PP. To me, that does not demonstrate expansion of the brand. I am a fan of Manitou, I have several Nixon, R7 and Minute models and this makes me sad to see a limitation.

#4 ·
I think it is only temporary to help promote the brand. Pricepoint is a huge online retailer with a lot of exposure, so it could be a great thing. As for finding dampers and parts, im not sure about that. I always look up the part number and order from a local shop anyway, so that doesnt concern me. They are currently offering a decent amount of parts(although still limited) and they are not currently offering the full product line. I would still hold out hope that the full line of products and parts will eventually be offered.

#6 ·
If they drop that 650B model that was rumored and showed up in several spy shots around the web, Manitou can count on my business for sure. I've ridden some crappy low end forks and I've ridden some higher end stuff as well. The Manitou Minute Pro is the only fork I've ever owned that seemed like ALL of the adjustment knobs/features actually made a solid difference in the performance of the fork. I guess I need to give honorable mention to the RockShox Revelation 426 Dual Air. Still have sellers remorse for getting rid of both of those forks.

#11 ·
When I ordered my new Radium RL, and new bushings for my Manalanche swinger, I went to Tree Fort bikes (who happen to be my local shop, a few miles away) and they were able to get all of the above in the store within a couple days. I believe they went thru BTI.

A cursory search of BTI-USA shows that, yup, they've got a BUNCH of manitou in stock :)

So, order away. I'm still super pumped on my radium

#13 ·
Same rumor surfaces periodically... probably started by Manitou. Problem is getting an OEM to spec it for a production bike. Not all that difficult to build, especially since they used to build one. Without an OEM deal, it would be risky to stuff a warehouse full of them and hope the aftermarket buys them. I'd buy one, you'd buy one, but that's just not enough. 2000 units on a Kona,Jamis,Norco Whatever and then it would be worth having the Chinese cast some magnesium.

#14 ·
I think its for real this time. They seem to have everything sorted out and details are coming out. Before, it was "Manitou said they are working on something"

There are bikes with Manitou forks speced on them as well. More then posted earlier. Banshee uses them on there bikes. Im sure if a 150-160mm fork was available, you would see it as on option on a Banshee Rune, as well as a few other bikes.

The only thing that worries me, is that every time I hear something about it lately, Travel adjust is always mentioned. I hope they have more the just a travel adjust spring system available. I want a full coil version or at the minimum, ACT spring system.

#23 ·
Im sure if a 150-160mm fork was available,
It looks as if they do make a 150mm fork, the Corratec Opiate FZ I linked above is listed as having a 150mm Minute Pro on it.
Thats interesting. If it was available aftermarket, I would have bought one instead of a revalation.
Looks like they don't make a 150mm fork after all.
I sent a email to Manitou with a link to that bike and asked them for info, they replied the following day saying that it was a mistake on the Corratec website and the fork on that bike only had 140mm of travel.

I think that Jamis has a Manitou fork on the Dragon 29.
That would be the 2012 model, there's a link to it in post #7 on this thread as well as links to other bikes that have Manitou forks as OEM.

#21 ·
Which is sort of a good thing... Their oversaturation of the OEM market with low end stuff was a majority of the cause of their near demise.

I'm sure they'll start showing up on some higher end bikes in the States in the future, the Tower will at least...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.