mtbr member

Manitou 2006 Black Platinum vs. 2008 R7 Elite

I am building a bike for a friend and have both of the forks above in the title. Both have little miles on them but I am trying to decide which of them stays and the other goes. The Black, a 2006 model has the Mars Air spring, TPC with Lockout (not TPC+) and is a 120mm fork. The R7 is a 2008 Elite with Absolute Damping (not ABS+) and has TS Air spring and 100mm of travel. The R7 is lighter, but I'm not a fan of the plastic tube on the spring side.

Any comments? And why would you make that choice?
    Last edited by Aresab; 09-12-2010 at 01:01 PM.

What?
    Keep the R7

MattSavage
    Sell the Black and buy an Absolute+ damper. Get MILO if he's a racer, stand up hammer kind of guy...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    If he wants a 120mm fork, keep the black. If he wants a 100mm fork then go for the R7. They're very similar forks and can both be tuned to do basically the same things.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal
    If he wants a 120mm fork, keep the black. If he wants a 100mm fork then go for the R7. They're very similar forks and can both be tuned to do basically the same things.
    I'd agree with this. They are very similar forks in performance. The R7 should be about a third of a pound lighter, but they are both light forks. Both forks are known to be a little flexy though, especially at longer travel so if you can run the 100mm R7, I would go that way, especially if you can get the absolute+ damper upgrade. I currently have an 80mm Black Platinum and a 100mm R7, and do notice some flexing in the R7. I personally wouldn't want to run either of these forks at 120mm.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

MattSavage
    I've always been a fan of the Blacks... I've had two Black Elite 120 with TPC+... Wasn't any flexier than the Minute 130 I replaced it with and still only 4lbs with the coil spring.

If I could find one today with TPC+ I'd throw it on an XC bike over a newer R7...

If I was the OP, I wouldn't put a 120mm fork on an XC hardtail, though. He should post up what frame he's putting it on.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. Let clarify my post. I am keeping one of the forks for my daughter. Currently the Black 120 is on a Sette Riddik, and that frame can adjust rear travel from 3.5 to 4.5 so either will work. I am unsure what I am building my friend, since it comes down to how much money he has, could be a Sette Reken hard tail or an XC full suspension. I'm leaning toward keeping the black because there is an aweful amount of plastic in the R7. I don't plan to upgrade the damper, I did that with my Minute 140 and love ABS+.