Thread: Magura Vidar

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Magura Vidar

I'm thinking about getting an '06 Magura Vidar for myself off ebay. The price is so sweet and I need a replacement for the Spinner Grind that is OE on my bike. I've read and heard that Mugura makes great suspensions, however, I am a litte apprehensive about this potential purchase. The intended use chart on magura.com said that the Vidar was in the touring catagory. Its specs stand close to its big brother, the "Asgard", with 30mm sanctions and magnesium sliders. I do moderately technical xc (I am pretty new to the sport) with lots of roots and drop offs of no more than 8 to 12 inches. Should I go for this fork? It seems like an easy upgrade that I don't want to miss.

ay Diablo!
    Take my post with a grain of salt, since I have not personally rode a magura fork. From all accounts magura make a very quality fork (no plastic, machined drop-outs, etc.). Everything i've heard about thems been good. They are vey stiff, and take a while to break-in. I saw that same fork on ebay and thought it was a great deal. Like you said the vidar ia a lot like the asgard, except for dual coil. It is also supposed to be a lot like marzocchis fork in that you can adjust the oil heights and weights, so should be fairly adjustable. I know acouple of people on the site has vidar (and asgards) so hopefully one of them will chime-in. My opinion is go for it, for the price and your riding style it should be a bullet proof fork that gets better with time. The only fork even close in quality and price would be a used Marzocchi mx comp, I bought one off ebay for $99. It was great, changed the oil and set it up for my weight and it worked great for xc riding. My wife still has it on her bike.
    Buena suerte
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the low down, it helped a lot
    The mediator between the head and the hands must be the heart

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootfreak
    I'm thinking about getting an '06 Magura Vidar for myself off ebay. The price is so sweet and I need a replacement for the Spinner Grind that is OE on my bike. I've read and heard that Mugura makes great suspensions, however, I am a litte apprehensive about this potential purchase. The intended use chart on magura.com said that the Vidar was in the touring catagory. Its specs stand close to its big brother, the "Asgard", with 30mm sanctions and magnesium sliders. I do moderately technical xc (I am pretty new to the sport) with lots of roots and drop offs of no more than 8 to 12 inches. Should I go for this fork? It seems like an easy upgrade that I don't want to miss.
    I just picked up an Asgard off of eBay a month ago and put it on my SS. I would say that it's about 80% what a Reba is at 50% of the Reba price (it's only missing the compression adjustment). The seals are tight out of the box causing some stiction but I helped it along using stanchion lube and it is now relatively plush. It is also easily as stiff as my RS and Fox 32 forks and way stiffer than the SID it replaced. No leaks on mine. It's not super light however at a little over 4 lbs. The dropout and disc tab inserts are a nice touch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flipnidaho; 01-23-2007 at 04:36 AM.

Freshly Fujified

Buy it

Just be sure you get the right one with the right amount of travel. braking1 has two up for auction. One is 80mm, one is 100mm.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery